Microsoft Paid YouTube Personalities For Positive Xbone Endorsements

Parker

If I'm not mistaken (I very well could be) don't review sites like IGN get money from the amount of views articles get? If so it would make perfect sense why they would run articles that pick out flaws in a very popular game, it would generate more traffic which in turn gets them more money. Plus, just because one review thinks that game is a 10/10 doesn't mean the person who wrote the article on the flaws of the game has that same opinion. 

Also, I'd love to see some solid evidence about IGN getting paid for reviews. I see many people making that claim but they never have any evidence.

Parker

Watch there Far cry 3: Blood dragon review.

Just a quick pointer, but using reviews you don't agree with isn't proving anything.

Also having re-read this whole article (well actually after having properly read it, I glanced first time as I'm sure most did), I'm not sure what the fuss is about

Per the Machinima email, the rules were simple: incorporate thirty seconds of game footage into a video and specifically mention that it's played on an Xbox One; tag the video with XB1M13; and then submit the link through Poptent, a platform that specializes in crowd-sourced video-marketing campaigns like Microsoft's.

Oh, and content creators had to keep the promotion secret.

This is just advertising, I'd be worried if they weren't getting paid for it. If ever I hear the name of a console and we aren't talking exclusives or a like for like comparison, I'd just accept it as being advertising, because why would you mention it ?

I can't see anyone who would pay their advertising company if the latter bad mouthed their products.

I know people have an issue with secrecy, but it does seem to be part of the whole marketing deal.

Of course you'd keep the promotion secret, firstly they probably filtered who they want using this promotion so don't want people calling asking for the same deal, and how useless would it be to say 'I'm playing this on the Xbox because they paid me to'

Well that and a large portion of the Internet community go up in arms for the most trivial of things sometimes.

End of the day, Microsoft have done a lot worse in their day - this is just basic marketing/advertising. Most companies in most industries will do this at various levels, it's just creating sales.

Edited by Memnoch

I guess Microsoft has to do anything and everything to try and get people to buy the Xbox One. That's what happens when you have no exclusive games to offer, at least in the near future.

They do have exclusive games to offer, one of them 'Dead Rising 3' is one of the reasons I bought a xbox one. They also have over a dozen exclusives coming out in 2014.

Here is a youtube vid of boogie2988 (aka francis) talking about this subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yxGwkS8R0Ms

They do have exclusive games to offer, one of them 'Dead Rising 3' is one of the reasons I bought a xbox one. They also have over a dozen exclusives coming out in 2014.

Here is a youtube vid of boogie2988 (aka francis) talking about this subject:

Aside from the exclusives already released, I couldn't think of any that were confirmed to be released this year. If there actually are, then my mistake.