Headsets...

GroogerLox

Do you want to be able to use game chat or are you more concerned with the audio quality? 

Either way, I will recommend either the Astro A40 or Astro A50 headset, it is by far and away the best gaming headset I have ever used and while they are a little out of your price range ($250 for the A40, $300 for the A50) they are more than worth it. They are extremely comfortable as well, there have been plenty of times I've actually forgotten I'm wearing my headset when I get up which has never happened with Turtle Beach or Tritton sets.  

Currently neither Astro headset is supported by Sony for the game chat (the audio is wonderful though) but there is supposed to be a patch that will fix that, so maybe by the time you save the extra coin the patch will be out. 

Edit: According to the Astro site the headsets do in fact support chat audio on the PS4, you just have to update the firmware to the headset and Mixamp. I'll be updating mine tonight and testing it out.

http://www.astrogaming.com/firmware/firmware.html

Parker

• Like 1

True.. I have heard very positive things about the A50s, but the price is too steep. I was looking into wireless PX4s but the ambient noise isolation isn't that great.

I spent a lot of money on other headsets before I finally decided to cough up the dough and go with an Astro. I wish I would've done that in the first place because they are better than any other headset I have used. I understand that the cost is a tough pill to swallow but you may ultimately be saving yourself money if later on down the line you decide you want a better headset, if you get an Astro you'll be more than happy. 

You could go with the A30 or A40 set as well, it doesn't have to be the A50's. The A30 set is $199.99 which is only $25 more than your budget and it'll still be better than just about anything else you an buy. 

Parker

• Like 1

X9Bwr67.jpg

A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound** (7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Audio Modes are only available on the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 systems and require system software versions 4.20/1.6 or later respectively)

Sony is making a new headset that will work for ps4

Edited by kidhero99

X9Bwr67.jpg

A Headset for Gamers: Experience everything from the big booms to whisper-quiet warnings in stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound** (7.1 Virtual Surround Sound and Audio Modes are only available on the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 systems and require system software versions 4.20/1.6 or later respectively)

Do you have a link for that headset? When the first Sony headset came out (not the Pulse one) I purchased it and as quite surprised with the sound quality for a $100 headset. It sounded better than many of the Turtle Beach and Tritton sets I tried that cost much more than the Sony and I'd be interested to see more information about their PS4 headset. The Astro's still sound much better than the Sony but I have a bad habit of collecting gaming gear...

Parker 

Do you have a link for that headset? When the first Sony headset came out (not the Pulse one) I purchased it and as quite surprised with the sound quality for a $100 headset. It sounded better than many of the Turtle Beach and Tritton sets I tried that cost much more than the Sony and I'd be interested to see more information about their PS4 headset. The Astro's still sound much better than the Sony but I have a bad habit of collecting gaming gear...

Parker 

Here you go, sir.

there doesn't seem to be an announcement yet, but check it out.

Listed on BestBuy and PlayAsia

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gold-wireless-stereo-headset-for-playstation-4-and-playstation-3/3353002.p?id=1219091055230&skuId=3353002&st=categoryid$abcat0715007&cp=2&lp=14&ref=199&loc=je6NUbpObpQ&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-8s1y_hz2Q7vLeH6tmR_UHg

http://www.play-asia.com/gold-wireless-stereo-headset-paOS-13-49-en-70-6w97.html

Edited by kidhero99
  • Like 1

X9Bwr67.jpg

If they're anything like the Pulse, avoid like the plague.

I bought the Pulse as a wireless substitute for the A50s...big mistake. The Sony Pulse headset is the worst gaming headset I've bought, of many.

Once you go Astro, nothing else comes close.

I can confirm that voice and game chat on the PlayStation 4 work perfectly with the Astro A50 headset updated to the current firmware. I used to have the earbud the PS4 came with hooked to the controller and the piece in the ear with the A50s over it to chat, so I'm happy as a clam that I can just use my Astro headset now.   B)

Parker

so if i buy the A50 i don't need an adapter or anything else to enjoy Sound and Audio Chat on PS4?

Do i need the MixAmp thing? Whats that?

http://www.astrogaming.com/a50-wireless-headset/A50-WIRELESS-HEADSET-ASTRO.html?dwvar_A50-WIRELESS-HEADSET-ASTRO_color=Black#start=1

If you buy the Astro A50 headset in that link it comes with everything needed to hook up to your PS4 to have game audio as well as voice chat. The Mixamp is included in that package.

A50_STAND.jpg

In that image the Mixamp is the black box sitting right below the headset. That is what connects to your PS4 via USB and optical cable (both included) and you hook your headset to it when you need to charge it. The firmware will need to be updated to the current version to be able to use the voice chat on PS4 but updating it is extremely easy, you'll need a PC for the process though.  

Parker

• Like 1

Also worth noting is you can use the A50s in wired mode by simply plugging in the USB cable and using them while recharging. That's somewhat inconvenient if you're metres away from the console, thus defeating the purpose of wireless headphones, but it works perfectly for me in my desktop setup.

• Like 1

Also worth noting is you can use the A50s in wired mode by simply plugging in the USB cable and using them while recharging. That's somewhat inconvenient if you're metres away from the console, thus defeating the purpose of wireless headphones, but it works perfectly for me in my desktop setup.

That is a damn good feature. I have a 20 or so foot USB cable (a friend gave it to me, no idea where he got it) so I can sit fairly far away and still have my headset hooked into the mixamp. The PS4 will charge the headset in standby mode too but it seems like once it is done charging it will stay on and run the battery down again which pretty much defeats the purpose of letting it charge on standby.

Parker 

For the longest time, I'd been using the A40s (Wired; 2011 Edition) when playing the Xbox 360 (or as I like to call "my hiatus). I made my "return" when I'd picked up my PS4, but unfortunately, things weren't working out too well between the PS4 and the Mix Amp; instead, I decided to try out the Sony Wireless Stereo Headset (the pre-Pulse Elite headset), but the firmware wasn't out yet, so that was a bust.

Now, I simply plug the 3.5mm directly into the Dualshock 4 as if I were using any wired set rather than using the Mix Amp, while I use the Pulse (Sony Wireless) for the PS3 -- to avoid having to run the Dolby cable back and forth.

Either way, Astros are definitely a great buy; probably the best bet either way you look at it.

I'd have bought the A50 2013s, but the distance between myself and my desk isn't more than two feet at all times, so it doesn't warrant the need for wireless.