Do you consider the amount of time you spend on screens healthy?

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

If I don't take my phone to the toilet, I somehow feel I've wasted 5 minutes of my life, just sat there, not consuming something.

See, that's one thing that I definitely don't do.  There's nothing out there that can't wait a few minutes.  Toilet time is 'me' time. :D

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

LOL. Are you joking? Screen time usage is at endemic proportions for most people, especially on smartphones.

Certainly in Japan anyway, people can't even walk down the street half the time without looking at their phones,

Interesting that you used Japan as your example. The country that has been putting tv receivers in nearly every electronic with a small screen since the late 80s. Also the country that seemingly gave every child a Gameboy when they were born. Well, guess what those kids grew up to be? Adults looking at screens constantly, same as when they were kids. 

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Interesting that you used Japan as your example. The country that has been putting tv receivers in nearly every electronic with a small screen since the late 80s. Also the country that seemingly gave every child a Gameboy when they were born. Well, guess what those kids grew up to be? Adults looking at screens constantly, same as when they were kids. 

Well I've only been in England for a total of about 5 weeks in the past 14 years since 2008, and not been back since 2013, so sadly not much living evidence to go on besides Japan.

I do remember even in 2013 everyone looking at their iPhone3 or whatever it was back then.

1 hour ago, StewartBros said:

See, that's one thing that I definitely don't do.  There's nothing out there that can't wait a few minutes.  Toilet time is 'me' time. :D

I have no evidence to back up my claim, however I can safely say that poop comes out way quicker when you're thinking about something else. lol

Edited by enaysoft

Korea is the exact same way. There's been a number of documentaries regarding social media and Korea was often mentioned in them. Kids as young as three years old were given electronic devices for study and leisure. Now it's commonplace here in the United States.

My niece and nephew can't get enough of their phones and iPads. They spend more time on an electronic screen than I ever did when I was their age.

Growing up we had a Windows 98/2000 computer. My dad knew some tech geeks back then so he was basically ahead of most when it came to the internet. His generation didn't grow up with computers of course, so he had to learn them the hard way.

Despite being a computer geek as a kid, I never spent more than a hour or two a day on the computer, which was a lot back then considering that most normal people rarely went on the internet.

Now it's everywhere, and my job, like every other job, fully depends on the internet. I basically have to go camping, or take a walk into the wilderness, to really escape from the electronic screens and the internet in general.

32 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

My niece and nephew can't get enough of their phones and iPads. They spend more time on an electronic screen than I ever did when I was their age.

You keep separating a screen from a screen. How many hours a day did you spend glued to a television to watch shows/movies or play video games at their age? A screen is a screen. Computer monitor or television makes no difference. 

You keep separating a screen from a screen. How many hours a day did you spend glued to a television to watch shows/movies or play video games at their age? A screen is a screen. Computer monitor or television makes no difference. 

Does it matter how much time AJ_Radio spent in front of a screen during his childhood?

When I was a kid, my grandparents were disgusted that I spent so much time indoors in front of screen. However these days, statistically children spend even more time than I ever did in front of a screen and from a younger age, and since it's quite normal, fewer people are seeing this as a problem.

I didn't have access to the Internet, or 24 hour a day TV / Netflix etc. Well I don't think the current screen time is healthy and that's coming from someone who has done it most of his life. We try to keep my son away from viewing the TV as much as we can. One day he's gonna have to use an ipad, cos right now they give him them to children to do their homework and stuff on / do work in class etc.

Crazy times we live in.

5 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Does it matter how much time AJ_Radio spent in front of a screen during his childhood?

Well... I specifically quoted him talking about himself talking about his use of screens "when I was their age"... So it was a pretty relevant response to the subject matter in his post.

8 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

However these days, statistically children spend even more time than I ever did in front of a screen and from a younger age

Please share these statistics and their sources so the parameters of the research can be examined. 

, and since it's quite normal, fewer people are seeing this as a problem.

It's normalized, I agree with that, but I strongly disagree that "fewer people are seeing this as a problem." It's widely acknowledged as a problem, but people are people and they're going to say one thing and do something else.

17 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Please share these statistics and their sources so the parameters of the research can be examined.

Ok, well I spent a few seconds going to google and typed in

"children spend more time in front of a screen"

Take your pick! Here are a few

https://theconversation.com/with-kids-spending-more-waking-hours-on-screens-than-ever-heres-what-parents-need-to-worry-about-141261
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/kids-spending-more-time-on-screens-than-ever-before/2360083/
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-effects-of-too-much-screen-time-on-children/
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/children-screens-play-outside-computer-phone-time-healthy-games-a8603411.html

I'm sure there are better search terms.

[edit]

Fucking hell, that ZNet article

" Children spend an average of seven hours a day on electronics. "

An AVERAGE of SEVEN. So there are children who watch more than seven hours? Seven hours is like a third of the day being awake.... That is criminally high :(

Edited by enaysoft

10 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I wasn't exactly talking about television. Kids have been glued to television for several decades. We had cable and later DIRECTV, and like a lot of kids, I spent a lot of time on Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network. But usually no more than a few hours at a time (two to three hours), depending on how much homework I had after school.

We also didn't have kids coming into class with their cell phones either back then. I grew up out in the woods so having a computer or just a mobile phone of any sort was a luxury 20 years ago. I moved into a town in high school and it was around this time that we started to see more cell phones. My first cell phone was a Cingular flip phone, which is now utterly obsolete. Texting on the numpad was slow and tedious, and kids weren't going to try to access MySpace with them.

Kids now have much more exposure to electronic screens. Japan and South Korea are practically raising their kids on computers and electronic devices so they have been in a bubble for a long time.

I ditched DIRECTV a long time ago, because there's no point to it anymore. I get all my news online, including updates to my news apps. Still, I only occasionally read the news, because reading the news 24/7 isn't healthy for you, especially if you're concerned about current events.

It's been statistically proven that today's generation of kids spend far more time on a screen than we ever did when we were kids. I didn't have 24/7 internet access, I had dial-up on an old Windows 98/2000/XP computer and the internet had to be physically hooked up to even work. Wi-Fi wasn't even a thing until later on in the mid - late 2000s, when flip phones made it possible to connect to the internet in a reasonable time frame.

• Like 1

Mine is extremely unhealthy. 

I work as a doctor and at work, I'm always looking at various computer screens. Then at breaks I look at my phone, at home i spend a lot of time on my laptop or gaming.... literally hours a day. 

When i had exams everything was online, so I got severe eye strain and dry eye to the point my eyes were gritty, bloodshot and irritated. I had to get eye ointments and use eye drops and gels multiple times a day, and dry eye heat mask every morning and night for a few weeks to make it better. The fact that Im a contact lense wearer doesn't help, but my screen time is unhealthy enough to redden and dry the crap out of my eyes. 

2 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Mine is extremely unhealthy. 

I work as a doctor and at work, I'm always looking at various computer screens. Then at breaks I look at my phone, at home i spend a lot of time on my laptop or gaming.... literally hours a day. 

When i had exams everything was online, so I got severe eye strain and dry eye to the point my eyes were gritty, bloodshot and irritated. I had to get eye ointments and use eye drops and gels multiple times a day, and dry eye heat mask every morning and night for a few weeks to make it better. The fact that Im a contact lense wearer doesn't help, but my screen time is unhealthy enough to redden and dry the crap out of my eyes. 

You might want to talk to somebody. 

I generally leave my PS3/PS4 consoles and my computer on, so people who know me think I’m always online. I’m usually AFK a lot, because I tend to leave my PS4 running with my account logged in even though I’m at work. I’ve been told that’s not always good, so I’ll probably turn off my console more often. 

Things got real bad for me just after the COVID-19 quarantine. Couldn’t go most anywhere, spent a lot of time on an electronic screen. I watched practically the entire series of The Sopranos and other HBO shows within one summer. 

So far it’s been better as I’ve been doing some hiking and bike riding. I know those aren’t for everyone, but having a life outside of gaming and a job really does help in the long run. 

36 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I generally leave my PS3/PS4 consoles and my computer on, so people who know me think I’m always online. I’m usually AFK a lot, because I tend to leave my PS4 running with my account logged in even though I’m at work. I’ve been told that’s not always good, so I’ll probably turn off my console more often. 

you are draining the life of your console.

10 minutes ago, Arzoden said:

Yes it’s healthy because it allows me to escape the cruelty that is reality

I understand you. However, I believe that this alienation is even worse in the long run.

Apart from when its my days off work, I don't spend a lot of time in front of screens. 

My mobile phone is what most would describe as a dealers phone. I don't have one of these smart phones or access to internet when I go for a piss at work or anything like that. At home I have a TV with the Playstation 4 hooked up to it. I don't have a TV aerial as I don't watch terrestrial TV in the UK, and so every once in a while  I have to prove I don't use a TV for watching TV as we have to pay a TV license over here. 

But even when I love a game, on a working day I may spend about 40 minutes playing and thats it. On a day off I could spend 4-5 hours on it but it will be broken up throughout the day. Mostly I watch documentaries/podcasts from Youtube on my 11 year old PC lol. Apart from the TV and PS4 I'm not a techy person. I love tech, but for the most part I have no use for it. 

• 1 year later...