Questions about the game and Revengeance difficulty

Hello guys, i would like to play this game and try to platinum it but there are a few things that i do not understand. 

- According to some videos I've seen of the game on Revengeance difficulty, you basically have to parry everything and can't do much else (it reminded me of Sekiro on steroids). Does this sound correct? 

- Can I use chapter select for the Stormbringer trophy? Does it work like Asura's Wrath? (If I complete my first mission and get the highest rank, I do not lose this information no matter what I do later.)

- Is this the best approach to this challenge? Complete Hard Difficulty --> Finish all VR Missions --> Get S Rank on all missions on Revengeance difficulty

- Could I make my life easier if I purchased the Gray Fox DLC?

Life can be made abit easier with Gray fox dlc but it won't help as much as if your having problems with the game early on Armstrong will be the limit breaker or even jet set sam as them both are like road blocks

Edited by Lonemankane

28 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Heyo, I can help as I just 100%d the game. The game is not a walk in the park but there's stuff that can make your life easier:

Parrying and Countering is not required, but it helps a lot! Just parrying (aka blocking) IS MANDATORY, so make sure you learn that during your Normal playthrough. Do not worry, it's not as awful as it sounds because you have an item called Wig B which breaks the game.

Note - on Revengeance difficulty if you parry and counter a boss you take up to 70% of his Health bar so yeah...I do recommend learning that xD 

Yes you can, the game saves your highest score. If you get an S rank in a level it remains S rank forever.

The best part about this game is that you have a lot of checkpoints and you can copy your save into another slot.

E.g,when a boss fight starts - return to Title, press triangle to copy your save (save 1) into another save slot (save 2), then attempt the boss. Restarting the checkpoint will not affect your score, however if you die (which affects your score) - you can quit to the Title, copy your backup save 2 into save 1 and restart from save 1. 

Again, it's not as awful as it sounds :D 

I would say no. I recommend playing through Normal first so you can get used to the combat and get most of the collectibles out of the way. Getting 20 left arms gives you Wig B which puts you in a "Super Saiyan mode" so to speak. Then play the VR missions, those will be your biggest hurdle (unless you play the DLC). After you unlock everything you can either go Hard mode or input the Konami code to straight up unlock Revengeance difficulty.

Honestly I played Revengeance difficulty with Wig B and the final sword upgraded to the max and enemies died in like 2 hits. Not sure if the Fox DLC helps more than that, Revengeance difficulty was a joke while being max upgraded.

My playthrough was : Normal Mode -> Hard Mode (to upgrade my stuff)-> Jetstream Sam DLC -> Blade Wolf DLC -> DLC VR Missions (They help you with learning the game) -> Main Game VR Missions -> Very Hard Mission 00 (for Ich Liebe Kapitalismus trophy) -> Revengeance Mode

By far the hardest thing to do in this game were the DLC VR missions. If you attempt them I wish you the best of luck :D 

EDIT: I see you platinumed both Sekiro and Furi. You will be fine in this game xD 

I really appreciate all the detailed suggestions, thank you a lot :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lyukaa said:

Hello guys, i would like to play this game and try to platinum it but there are a few things that i do not understand. 

- According to some videos I've seen of the game on Revengeance difficulty, you basically have to parry everything and can't do much else (it reminded me of Sekiro on steroids). Does this sound correct? 

- Can I use chapter select for the Stormbringer trophy? Does it work like Asura's Wrath? (If I complete my first mission and get the highest rank, I do not lose this information no matter what I do later.)

- Is this the best approach to this challenge? Complete Hard Difficulty --> Finish all VR Missions --> Get S Rank on all missions on Revengeance difficulty

- Could I make my life easier if I purchased the Gray Fox DLC?

If you're skilled in action games, then you can start on Hard. Otherwise, it's best to start on Normal. It is possible to earn the majority of trophies in one playthrough by starting the game on Revengeance with the use of Konami code, but it's not recommended as that would very difficult. Instead, do at least 2 playthroughs to learn everything, then jump to the VR Missions, then the final playthrough.

When it comes to playthrough on Revengeance, it's manageable as long as you've mastered the parrying system. One thing you need to keep in mind that many of the battles are slightly different when compared to lower difficulties. Some have extra enemies, some of them are replaced with different ones (usually stronger variants) and so on. The S rank requirements remain the same, though.

However, if you want to make things much easier for yourself, buy the Gray Fox DLC. The Fox Blade you get with that suit is very devastating, as kills every enemy (excluding bosses) with 1-2 sweeps once you've bought all the upgrades. This means that you can just run around swinging that blade, which makes getting the S ranks much easier. A couple of thing to keep in mind

- When you buy said the DLC, you don't have access to to right away. Instead, you have to purchase it by using BP (the game's "currency" and it costs 100k. It may sound a lot, but the game is very generous when it comes to that since every battle gives a certain amount of point. You can also obtain them by collecting Holo-Chips and other items.

- When using it in regular battles, note that sometimes killing all the enemies fast enough and doing it without taking damage isn't enough. You'll also need to perform 1-2 Zandatsus, though it's not required for every battle. You either need to test it yourself or you can play it safe and perform a certain amount of Zandatsus. Otherwise, you can ignore the combo requirements each battle has. I've done five S rank playthroughs, so I can confirm that much.

- For boss battles, the Fox Blade isn't that strong, so I recommend to use the Muramasa Blade and other Custom Weapons (the ones you get from certain bosses).

As for Stormbringer, you can use chapter select, but from what I've read, you must leave the final chapter for last. If you get an S rank on that and leave File-R05 last, for example, you must get the S rank again from the final chapter. Personally, I recommend to play the game normally.

If you're planning to get this platinum, good luck. If you need tips, ask me anything. I've done more than just few playthroughs, so I know a lot of stuff.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, MrGarland said:

If you're skilled in action games, then you can start on Hard. Otherwise, it's best to start on Normal. It is possible to earn the majority of trophies in one playthrough by starting the game on Revengeance with the use of Konami code, but it's not recommended as that would very difficult. Instead, do at least 2 playthroughs to learn everything, then jump to the VR Missions, then the final playthrough.

When it comes to playthrough on Revengeance, it's manageable as long as you've mastered the parrying system. One thing you need to keep in mind that many of the battles are slightly different when compared to lower difficulties. Some have extra enemies, some of them are replaced with different ones (usually stronger variants) and so on. The S rank requirements remain the same, though.

However, if you want to make things much easier for yourself, buy the Gray Fox DLC. The Fox Blade you get with that suit is very devastating, as kills every enemy (excluding bosses) with 1-2 sweeps once you've bought all the upgrades. This means that you can just run around swinging that blade, which makes getting the S ranks much easier. A couple of thing to keep in mind

- When you buy said the DLC, you don't have access to to right away. Instead, you have to purchase it by using BP (the game's "currency" and it costs 100k. It may sound a lot, but the game is very generous when it comes to that since every battle gives a certain amount of point. You can also obtain them by collecting Holo-Chips and other items.

- When using it in regular battles, note that sometimes killing all the enemies fast enough and doing it without taking damage isn't enough. You'll also need to perform 1-2 Zandatsus, though it's not required for every battle. You either need to test it yourself or you can play it safe and perform a certain amount of Zandatsus. Otherwise, you can ignore the combo requirements each battle has. I've done five S rank playthroughs, so I can confirm that much.

- For boss battles, the Fox Blade isn't that strong, so I recommend to use the Muramasa Blade and other Custom Weapons (the ones you get from certain bosses).

As for Stormbringer, you can use chapter select, but from what I've read, you must leave the final chapter for last. If you get an S rank on that and leave File-R05 last, for example, you must get the S rank again from the final chapter. Personally, I recommend to play the game normally.

If you're planning to get this platinum, good luck. If you need tips, ask me anything. I've done more than just few playthroughs, so I know a lot of stuff.

Thank you so much for all this information. The more I learn, the better :) 

Having just finished File_R01 on Hard, I have a few questions. (I'm also getting every collectible)

While the boss herself wasn't difficult, her minions were the real problem. I found it quite confusing (also because of that damn auto lock) when I had the boss in front of me and two or three minions behind me that seemed to take no damage. Is the Revengeance going to be this confusing with all the upgrades as well?

The Fox Blade is indeed a really useful weapon, but since you suggested using the Muramasa Blade on bosses, I presume you can change the weapon by going to the main menu right before the boss fight begins, right?

(@Copanele even mentioned it) The Wig B is mandatory for an easier experience, but I'm not sure how it would affect gameplay. 

Besides using my points to purchase the Fox Blade and the Murasama Blade, what else should I focus on? 

• Like 1

DLC VR MISSION NUMBER 27 - REMEMBER THAT!

Everything else besides this mission and Armstrong isn't that difficult. Not even JetSam. There is a way to defeat him in 30 seconds without damage and S rank. It may seem impossible at first, but once you understand how the fight works, it becomes quite doable.

Of course, there are other points in the game that are difficult.. even with Wing B. But these are the 2 ultimate challenges you will face, one for platinum, and another if you want 100%.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, giinha said:

DLC VR MISSION NUMBER 27 - REMEMBER THAT!

Everything else besides this mission and Armstrong isn't that difficult. Not even JetSam. There is a way to defeat him in 30 seconds without damage and S rank. It may seem impossible at first, but once you understand how the fight works, it becomes quite doable.

Of course, there are other points in the game that are difficult.. even with Wing B. But these are the 2 ultimate challenges you will face, one for platinum, and another if you want 100%.

Agreed here. DLC VR 27 almost broke me xD holy crap that was a filthy mission.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lyukaa said:

Having just finished File_R01 on Hard, I have a few questions. (I'm also getting every collectible)

While the boss herself wasn't difficult, her minions were the real problem. I found it quite confusing (also because of that damn auto lock) when I had the boss in front of me and two or three minions behind me that seemed to take no damage. Is the Revengeance going to be this confusing with all the upgrades as well?

You can now buy her weapon and that will solve your "Oh no I am surrounded" problem :D 

The Fox Blade is indeed a really useful weapon, but since you suggested using the Muramasa Blade on bosses, I presume you can change the weapon by going to the main menu right before the boss fight begins, right?

Just press Right on the D-pad and in the menu you can select each weapon

(@Copanele even mentioned it) The Wig B is mandatory for an easier experience, but I'm not sure how it would affect gameplay. 

Things die faster with Wig B - you get infinite Ripper mode (you'll know how good it is when you unlock it xD )

Besides using my points to purchase the Fox Blade and the Murasama Blade, what else should I focus on? 

The very first skill that you NEED to buy is Defensive Offense, it's your dodge button, done by pressing X+Square and any direction. After that, focus on health upgrades and various movesets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lyukaa said:

- The battle against Mistral isn't too hard, but all the Tripods can make it somewhat annoying. The best way to deal them is to use the Pole-Arm you get from that battle. It's fast and it also has a long range, making it an ideal weapon for dealing them. Keep in mind that you can't parry when using that or any other Custom Weapon (Sai and Pincer Blades).

On Revengeance, you can also deal her this way if you get lucky enough like I did: during Phase 2, if you manage to Parry Counter her attacks when she's close enough, you'll deal so much damage that her health might drop to 0.1% . If that happens, the battle advances to Phase 3 and almost instantly, to its conclusion. This is because the Parry Counter receives a tremendous power boost on Revengeance, so if you manage to get lucky, you're good.

- There is a better way to change your equipment. During gameplay, press Select. This brings up the Codec menu. One of the options is Customize. Selecting that will save the game, as well as after you're done. Here, you can change anything, with the exception of Sub-Weapon. You can also spend BP to unlock upgrades and such.

Another way to change the equipment is to press the D-Pad during gameplay. However, you can only enter this if you stand still for 1 second. Other than your weapons and recovery items, you can't change anything else here, so using the Customize is the better option.

- Wigs are the special items that can make getting the S ranks easier. They do not affect your rank so feel free to use them. There are a total of three of them.

Wig A grants infinite sub-weapon ammo, which is useful in a battle against Monsoon.

Wig B gives you infinite Fuel Cell Energy. With this, you can stay in Blade Mode for as long as you want.

Wig C is the least useful one, as it lets you slice armored enemies in Blade Mode without having to weaken them first. Since the Fox Blade exists, you really don't need this.

- Other than said weapons, I recommend to buy:

- all the health upgrades

- all Fuel Cell upgrades (if you choose to use Wig B, you can skip this)

- Defensive Offensive (absolutely needed in parts like Metal Gear Excelsus)

- Pincer Blades

- Custom Body (Red)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Copanele said:

You can now buy her weapon and that will solve your "Oh no I am surrounded" problem :D 

Just press Right on the D-pad and in the menu you can select each weapon

Things die faster with Wig B - you get infinite Ripper mode (you'll know how good it is when you unlock it xD )

The very first skill that you NEED to buy is Defensive Offense, it's your dodge button, done by pressing X+Square and any direction. After that, focus on health upgrades and various movesets.

46 minutes ago, MrGarland said:

- The battle against Mistral isn't too hard, but all the Tripods can make it somewhat annoying. The best way to deal them is to use the Pole-Arm you get from that battle. It's fast and it also has a long range, making it an ideal weapon for dealing them. Keep in mind that you can't parry when using that or any other Custom Weapon (Sai and Pincer Blades).

On Revengeance, you can also deal her this way if you get lucky enough like I did: during Phase 2, if you manage to Parry Counter her attacks when she's close enough, you'll deal so much damage that her health might drop to 0.1% . If that happens, the battle advances to Phase 3 and almost instantly, to its conclusion. This is because the Parry Counter receives a tremendous power boost on Revengeance, so if you manage to get lucky, you're good.

- There is a better way to change your equipment. During gameplay, press Select. This brings up the Codec menu. One of the options is Customize. Selecting that will save the game, as well as after you're done. Here, you can change anything, with the exception of Sub-Weapon. You can also spend BP to unlock upgrades and such.

Another way to change the equipment is to press the D-Pad during gameplay. However, you can only enter this if you stand still for 1 second. Other than your weapons and recovery items, you can't change anything else here, so using the Customize is the better option.

- Wigs are the special items that can make getting the S ranks easier. They do not affect your rank so feel free to use them. There are a total of three of them.

Wig A grants infinite sub-weapon ammo, which is useful in a battle against Monsoon.

Wig B gives you infinite Fuel Cell Energy. With this, you can stay in Blade Mode for as long as you want.

Wig C is the least useful one, as it lets you slice armored enemies in Blade Mode without having to weaken them first. Since the Fox Blade exists, you really don't need this.

- Other than said weapons, I recommend to buy:

- all the health upgrades

- all Fuel Cell upgrades (if you choose to use Wig B, you can skip this)

- Defensive Offensive (absolutely needed in parts like Metal Gear Excelsus)

- Pincer Blades

- Custom Body (Red)

Thank you guys for all this, i really appreciate your help and i'm sure other people will too :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finished the VR missions today, grabbed the last one then did it. VR18 was hell but thankfully youtube guides helped me significantly! At this point I have some misc. trophies, beating senator on hard without hit, and then Stormbringer trophy. Is the suit you get from VR missions good for the playthrough?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, victorrfuego said:

I finished the VR missions today, grabbed the last one then did it. VR18 was hell but thankfully youtube guides helped me significantly! At this point I have some misc. trophies, beating senator on hard without hit, and then Stormbringer trophy. Is the suit you get from VR missions good for the playthrough?

I recommend only using the red suit (higher attack, lower defense). Getting "no damage" is typically the easiest way to get an S rank for a battle (there are some exceptions, but not many), so having lower defense is not a problem. Higher attack means you can finish battles faster, so less chances to get hit. Also with the Infinite Wig B you never have to worry about energy anyway.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, masnevets said:

I recommend only using the red suit (higher attack, lower defense). Getting "no damage" is typically the easiest way to get an S rank for a battle (there are some exceptions, but not many), so having lower defense is not a problem. Higher attack means you can finish battles faster, so less chances to get hit. Also with the Infinite Wig B you never have to worry about energy anyway.

Oh nice! I didn’t know that the red gives extra damage, will do I’ll try to keep in touch on how it goes!! Thanks!

30 minutes ago, victorrfuego said:

Update: game has been platinumed! Not done yet, I hope the DLCs are not too bad…

Recommendation for both Sam and Wolf side stories: play through once to get all upgrades before doing Revengeance. I followed the guide here for the DLC (and the main game) and found it very helpful:

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Metal-Gear-Rising-Revengeance/walkthrough

The Wolf DLC is on the easy side compared to the main game, but I found "You're hired" in Sam's DLC incredibly frustrating. The fight itself is not hard to beat but it's really easy to get hit.

I don't own the DLC VR missions, so have no comments on that but I've read there are some frustrating ones there.

16 minutes ago, masnevets said:

Recommendation for both Sam and Wolf side stories: play through once to get all upgrades before doing Revengeance. I followed the guide here for the DLC (and the main game) and found it very helpful:

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Metal-Gear-Rising-Revengeance/walkthrough

The Wolf DLC is on the easy side compared to the main game, but I found "You're hired" in Sam's DLC incredibly frustrating. The fight itself is not hard to beat but it's really easy to get hit.

I don't own the DLC VR missions, so have no comments on that but I've read there are some frustrating ones there.

thanks man! Yeah I will look further into this!