Has inflation hit PS store sales???

steel6burgh

I'm noticing games that use to always be on sale for a certain price are now many times  higher than they were over the past few years.  In some cases much higher.  Take the current sale games like Ruiner that has sold for years at 4.99 is now around $10.00.  Wereewolf the Apocalypse has quite often been under 15 now its around 30 on a double discount sale?  I can only imagine the cost of doing business has went up for everyone out there but to think i'm going to pay $10.00 for game i passed up on for $4.99 for the past two years is wishful thinking.  The price has even trippled on old worms battleground as it now sits near $12 on a double discount sale.  Hasn't this game been $2.99 countless times?

Another trend i'm noticing is certain games only put their deluxe edition on sale.  Take Scarlet Nexus for example.  Tales of Arise is another one and there are quite a few more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Has anybody else noticed this and thoughts?  is this a way for Sony to say buy our PS premium service if you want cheap games or is this a direct result of everything going up?  I can't see how inflation should effect the price of a 5 or 6 year old game today that was made and produced at costs from that time.

Edited by steel6burgh

25 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

Take the current sale games like Ruiner that has sold for years at 4.99 is now around $10.00.  Wereewolf the Apocalypse has quite often been under 15 now its around 30 on a double discount sale?  I can only imagine the cost of doing business has went up for everyone out there but to think i'm going to pay $10.00 for game i passed up on for $4.99 for the past two years is wishful thinking.  The price has even trippled on old worms battleground as it now sits near $12 on a double discount sale.  Hasn't this game been $2.99 countless times?

At least on the US store: Ruiner is $5.99 (normally $4.99, once went down to $3.99), Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood is $11.99 (previous all-time low was $14.99), and Worms Battlegrounds is $4.99 (normal sale price, went down to $3.74 once). You need Plus to get the full discount, but Plus-exclusive sales aren't anything new.

13 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

At least on the US store: Ruiner is $5.99 (normally $4.99, once went down to $3.99), Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood is $11.99 (previous all-time low was $14.99), and Worms Battlegrounds is $4.99 (normal sale price, went down to $3.74 once). You need Plus to get the full discount, but Plus-exclusive sales aren't anything new.

i see so basically they just raised the sale price and then give you the old sale price and tell you you're getting a discount because you have ps plus when in reality if you had just bought it on the last sale that wasn't a double discount sale then you would have got it the same price weather you had Ps Plus or not.   so in reality ps plus while saving us money if we buy  a certain game this week it really isn't saving us anything over previous sale prices.  What a joke.  i'm sure this is the way it's always been with the double discount sale just never noticed until now.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 1

PS Store was always overly expensive, if you just buy for yourself.If you share with someone else u have to consider its the price cut in half.

Probably demand is higher thats why the raise the prices,thats capitalism,max profit.

How to circumvent that?if u believe a game is too expensive then dont buy it, vote with your wallet.

Digital games also dont really have the pressure like physical ones,which take up shelf space

On 6/8/2022 at 9:34 AM, Baranov_925 said:

Inflation hits everything. Even games.

I'm not sure on this one yet, but I do believe it'll be last on the list as there's physical product being made (i.e., not a supply issue) and many have already been "made" many of the prices should stay the same.

New games and subrscriptions I can see going up as publishers/dev teams may need to increase wages to keep people employeed as everything is going up. Who knows TBH...

It's definitely happening to physical games, or at least in my area. MW2 is going for $89.99 CDN, when Cold War went for $69.99 pre tax just 2 years ago. Same base edition no addons. I'm sure there are other examples as well if I could be bothered to look.

As for thoughts. I hope this means AAA gaming studios will eventually die. 

Edited by VigilantCrow

1 hour ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Didn't see it hit my paycheck so far. Weird. 

You see what a bastard. :P 

1 hour ago, roto-ninja said:

I'm not sure on this one yet, but I do believe it'll be last on the list as there's physical product being made (i.e., not a supply issue) and many have already been "made" many of the prices should stay the same.

New games and subrscriptions I can see going up as publishers/dev teams may need to increase wages to keep people employeed as everything is going up. Who knows TBH...

Just give it some time.