System crashed (twice) now all of my digital PS4 games are locked. Help!

TimeLordCrow13y

A list of recent error codes-most also listed in an above post (didn't capture the error code on the most recent new hard drive, just initialized it to return it):

Unable to launch application codes:

E-FFFFFFFD

CE-41839-5

CE-34224-5

Other recent error codes:

NP-34937-6 (force logged out of account)

NW-31294-9 (Cannot connect to Wi-Fi-it was connected and my Wi-Fi was working fine on other devices)

I haven't been keeping track of the most recent error codes when applications fail to launch, my system is behaving the same way as before and I didn't see the point. My PS4 isn't hooked up right now so I can't pull up the most recent errors list, but I assume they'd be similar to the ones listed above. If the more recent codes (minus the most recent one on the new initialized hard drive) could give any insight I'll hook up my system later and pull up the error history.

Also, I don't think it's overheating. Unless it can overheat within minutes of turning it on after the system being off for days and doing nothing else other than trying to launch a game (something I've tried multiple times over the past three months).

• Like 1

This is just a theory but create a temp account then try loading various games and see what happens. If I'm right, the games will load without issue but if they also fail to work, then I'm completely stumped. If my theory is correct, your profile has some serious issues caused by the crash but instead of being cleared when you replaced the hard drive, reinstalled the OS and recreated your profiles, the bad data somehow got saved to Sony's servers. In which case you will have to go through the nightmare of contacting their customer support and try to get it repaired on their end :(.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

This is just a theory but create a temp account then try loading various games and see what happens. If I'm right, the games will load without issue but if they also fail to work, then I'm completely stumped. If my theory is correct, your profile has some serious issues caused by the crash but instead of being cleared when you replaced the hard drive, reinstalled the OS and recreated your profiles, the bad data somehow got saved to Sony's servers. In which case you will have to go through the nightmare of contacting their customer support and try to get it repaired on their end :(.

Could the crash have affected other accounts on my system though? I was playing on my main (this account) at the time of the crash and am 99% sure I wasn't actively logged in to any other accounts. I have alts (all created before the crash) and have tried loading games on a couple of them as well. Same issues unfortunately. Though, I'm not certain if I've attempted to load games tied to those accounts yet or not (as in, games I purchased digitally on those accounts-but I have tried to load disk-based games on an alt with the same results), so I might attempt that. And I haven't tried loading an alt on a fresh hard drive-so might reinitialize and re-install system software with the one I have before sending it back and test this theory. Or, more than that, I could load a disk game onto a blank profile on a re-initialized hd that’s not even connected to psn. I’ll have a definitive answer if that works. If my profile is indeed corrupted that’d be truly bizarre.

Also, a close friend's account was on my PS4 at the time of the crash, and they've had no issues playing games on their PS5 (or their PS4 AFAIK). They live hours away though, so I can't easily visit them and log into my account on their system to see if everything works ok. And tbh, if my profile is somehow corrupted I wouldn't want to risk damaging their systems.

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
  • Like 1

Update: Ok, re-initialized system completely using my brand new HD (including reinstalling system software), installed a few games using an offline profile.

First worked (though I only played for a few minutes) second worked until the disk randomly ejected with no warning-and when I went back in it claimed it couldn’t load my save data due to the game not being fully installed (though I couldn’t see anything indicating the game was still installing-the second game was Bloodborne, which constantly saves data, which is why I found this odd).

Then I installed a new game twice (it said the data was corrupt both times I launched it, but I got it after my system started acting up, so who knows if the disk is actually faulty or not). 

Then I installed Hellblade which I’ve previously played through twice with no issues at all (same disk). When I launched it, I got error CE-34224-5. So I launched it again. Same error. So I launched it a third time and it got stuck on the opening splash screen. When I launched it a fourth time I got the error again and my PS4 hard crashed. 

So, good theory, @HuntingFever, I almost thought my problems were solved (or would be, if I could talk to someone at Sony who knew what they were doing). But ultimately, it seems like there’s something wrong with my system. 

i don’t even know if it’d be better to take it to an indie repair shop or send it in to Sony at this point. I’m not planning to buy a PS5 anytime soon.

NTM, I have no clue if the damage extends to my PSVR. It was hooked up when it happened, but I was playing a non-VR game and the headset wasn’t on. I unplugged the PSVR extension box shortly after it happened so I would have less things to unplug when troubleshooting. 

This is a mess. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

First worked (though I only played for a few minutes) second worked until the disk randomly ejected with no warning

I experienced a similar thing a few years ago and it wasn't my HDD, and I had to do this to fix it.

Excuse me

...have you tried installing a digital game as well?

13 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

I experienced a similar thing a few years ago and it wasn't my HDD, and I had to do this to fix it.

Excuse me

...have you tried installing a digital game as well?

Will watch that video in a minute. Edit: watched it, not sure if it applies to my situation because I have a Pro. Also my PS4 has literally never ejected a disc randomly before that. It seemed like a freak occurrence, tbh. 

I launched The Playroom (as I said, I was 100% offline-fresh profile, no connection to PSN, no game updates) and it seemed to run fine-though I was basically just watching a demo because I couldn’t be bothered to plug in my camera. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

does anyone know of literally anything else that could have happened from a freak power failure with the system in rest mode

There's your problem - stop using rest mode. Also, could be a faulty PSU.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Will watch that video in a minute. Edit: watched it, not sure if it applies to my situation because I have a Pro. Also my PS4 has literally never ejected a disc randomly before that. It seemed like a freak occurrence, tbh. 

I launched The Playroom (as I said, I was 100% offline-fresh profile, no connection to PSN, no game updates) and it seemed to run fine-though I was basically just watching a demo because I couldn’t be bothered to plug in my camera. 

My Base model PS4 used to eject discs by itself all the time but only after tightening the eject screw a few dozen times did it stop doing it. The newer models should be immune to that specific glitch due to a change in eject mechanisms.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Download and try properly play a game, theres lots of free games on store. If that works then something is wrong with your Disk drive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

Download and try properly play a game, theres lots of free games on store. If that works then something is wrong with your Disk drive. 

Will have to log in to one of my alts to do that-but I suppose I can after playing around with it while offline a bit more. 

At least I’m fairly sure that if it’s my main account that’s the problem (I don’t think it is), the “glitch” didn’t carry over to the PS3 (I played it for a little over an hour last night with no issue). 

Update: logged into an alt, get the message “An error occurred” whenever I try to download a game. My saved hard drive functions better than a fresh one with no data apparently. Then tried restoring licenses and was able to download some games, but my system hard crashed the first time I tried to launch it (Error CE-36329-3).

I’m done trying to fix this myself. 

The question now is would I have have better luck with Sony or an indie shop when it comes to actually fixing whatever is going on? And should I get my PSVR checked out as well? 

1 hour ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Update: logged into an alt, get the message “An error occurred” whenever I try to download a game. My saved hard drive functions better than a fresh one with no data apparently. Then tried restoring licenses and was able to download some games, but my system hard crashed the first time I tried to launch it (Error CE-36329-3).

I’m done trying to fix this myself. 

The question now is would I have have better luck with Sony or an indie shop when it comes to actually fixing whatever is going on? And should I get my PSVR checked out as well? 

It replacing the BD Drive doesn't work, there might be something wrong with the Motherboard, CPU or even the BIOS so your only option is going to be sending it to a professional repair man and let them take a look at it but before doing anything drastic, do you have either a spare PS4 or know of one you can borrow? I ask, because trying to play the affected games on another system will completely rule out any deep seated issues with your actual profile and the games themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

It replacing the BD Drive doesn't work, there might be something wrong with the Motherboard, CPU or even the BIOS so your only option is going to be sending it to a professional repair man and let them take a look at it but before doing anything drastic, do you have either a spare PS4 or know of one you can borrow? I ask, because trying to play the affected games on another system will completely rule out any deep seated issues with your actual profile and the games themselves.

One of my close friends has a PS4, but it’s not a Pro so idk if my hard drive would fit in their system. Plus they live hours away and I wouldn’t want to somehow damage their system too if I’ve got something weird going on. 

I’ve half a mind to buy a used PS4 from a chain store when I have some free time, then either restore that hard drive or change out the hard drive and see what happens, stress test it for several days, see if I get the same issues or not, and return it once I’ve found out. 

1 minute ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

One of my close friends has a PS4, but it’s not a Pro so idk if my hard drive would fit in their system. Plus they live hours away and I wouldn’t want to somehow damage their system too if I’ve got something weird going on. 

I’ve half a mind to buy a used PS4 from a chain store when I have some free time, then either restore that hard drive or change out the hard drive and see what happens, stress test it for several days, see if I get the same issues or not, and return it once I’ve found out. 

Just so you know, inserting your hard drive in their console will cause it to be forcibly wiped clean since it's already matted to your PS4. Just add your profile to their console, then install some of the problematic games from your collection that are giving you grief and see what happens - you can use the account deactivation and deletion tools afterwards to remove everything from their PS4 so nothing is left behind when you leave :). Also, PS4 Hard Drives are all a standard size AFAIK so it shouldn't matter which model your friend has.

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Just so you know, inserting your hard drive in their console will cause it to be forcibly wiped clean since it's already matted to your PS4. Just add your profile to their console, then install some of the problematic games from your collection that are giving you grief and see what happens - you can use the account deactivation and deletion tools afterwards to remove everything from their PS4 so nothing is left behind when you leave :). Also, PS4 Hard Drives are all a standard size AFAIK so it shouldn't matter which model your friend has.

Can I use the “Backup and restore” feature on a different system? Or is my backup also tied to my system? 

According to this (idk if it’s Sony’s official site) it should work: 

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/backup.html

But I agree that testing on another system before sending mine in is a must (partially to make sure my PSVR isn’t affected, but also due to...some of the comments on this page). At least three people saying they’ve had the same issues on multiple systems. ?

https://www.ps4storage.com/ps4-error-code-ce-36329-3-fix/