Activision Confirm Sledgehammer As 2014 COD Developer And 3 Year Development Cycle

AlecMcOne

If they were to make another COD game, they should at least spend some more time making it. COD 1 and 2 were two years apart compared to the rest, and 2 is considered by many to be the best one.

That is exactly why they've added another development studio for the franchise. Now instead of having two years to work on each game, every studio will have three years per game which I imagine can help quite a bit. 

Parker

I'm more curious to know if they will be cutting down releases to just a single CoD series or not. Just because there's a three year development cycle, that doesn't mean Activision still won't be pumping out CoD games every year. If it is the only series, then it's sign that the genre is finally dying, which is fantastic news to me. I'm so sick of everything being a shooter. It'd be nice for another genre to take over for a while.

I'm more curious to know if they will be cutting down releases to just a single CoD series or not. Just because there's a three year development cycle, that doesn't mean Activision still won't be pumping out CoD games every year. If it is the only series, then it's sign that the genre is finally dying, which is fantastic news to me. I'm so sick of everything being a shooter. It'd be nice for another genre to take over for a while.

There will still be a CoD game coming out every year but they'll all have an extra year of development time now. Each studio will still have their own specific titles as well so we can expect Blops III from Treyarch, Modern Warfare 4 from Sledgehammer and Ghosts 2 from Infinity Ward. 

If CoD died and another genre took over then the same exact thing would happen. We'd have an extremely popular series that sells a ton of games, that series would then be hated by "true gamers" who would call anyone who enjoys the series a "sheep" and people would want the series to die and another genre take over. 

I think the easiest thing to do is buy games you enjoy and allow others to do the same. People obviously still enjoy the CoD games and there are many other games that come out besides CoD so it isn't like there is nothing else to play. I'm speaking in general there, none of that was directed at you ExHaseo. 

Parker

There will still be a CoD game coming out every year but they'll all have an extra year of development time now. Each studio will still have their own specific titles as well so we can expect Blops III from Treyarch, Modern Warfare 4 from Sledgehammer and Ghosts 2 from Infinity Ward. 

If CoD died and another genre took over then the same exact thing would happen. We'd have an extremely popular series that sells a ton of games, that series would then be hated by "true gamers" who would call anyone who enjoys the series a "sheep" and people would want the series to die and another genre take over. 

I think the easiest thing to do is buy games you enjoy and allow others to do the same. People obviously still enjoy the CoD games and there are many other games that come out besides CoD so it isn't like there is nothing else to play. I'm speaking in general there, none of that was directed at you ExHaseo. 

Parker

I see. That's kind of disappointing to me, but I guess fans will still enjoy them.