Kickstarter gets hacked

Lady Lilith

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2098245/change-that-kickstarter-password-crowdfunding-website-gets-hit-by-hackers.html

Kickstarter backers received an unwanted reward Saturday if they have an account with the crowdfunding site—a security notice that hackers have gained access to some customer data.

Kickstarter stressed both in a blog post on the incident and in the email that went out to project organizers and backers that hackers hadn’t accessed any credit card data. The crowdfunding site also hasn’t found any evidence of unauthorized activities on accounts.

What hackers were able to get their hands on, according to Kickstarter, included user names, email addresses, mailing addresses, and encrypted passwords. While actual passwords weren’t revealed in the security breach, it’s still probably a good idea to stop reading this article right now and go change your Kickstarter password. Kickstarter suggests you also change the password of any other accounts that share your Kickstarter password, if you engage in that particularly unsound security practice.

kickstarter_email-100246295-large.png

A portion of the email alert Kickstarter sent to account holders Saturday

Kickstarter was alerted to the breach Wednesday night. The crowdfunding site says it immediately closed the breach and “began strengthening security measures throughout the Kickstarter system.”

“We’re incredibly sorry that this happened,” Kickstarter CEO Yancey Strickler writes at the end of his note to users. “We set a very high bar for how we serve our community, and this incident is frustrating and upsetting.”

I sure hope he's not lying for PR about credit card info.  Look at Target, they said everything was fine at first, and we all know how that turned out...

I sure hope he's not lying for PR about credit card info.  Look at Target, they said everything was fine at first, and we all know how that turned out...

Kickstarter uses PayPal for payment fulfilment. AFAIK, they don't store credit card data on the site.

well my CC was never on the account it was on paypal so I should be ok...right? Also why didn't I get an email?

Check your junkmail?

I got the notice. It simply prompts to change your account password, even though there's no reason to believe the account was breached.

It also seems to imply they were completely unaware of the hack  :blink:

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Kickstarter uses PayPal for payment fulfilment. AFAIK, they don't store credit card data on the site.

Check your junkmail?

I got the notice. It simply prompts to change your account password, even though there's no reason to believe the account was breached.

It also seems to imply they were completely unaware of the hack  :blink:

nothing in junkmail either :(

I guess they don't love me :(

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2098245/change-that-kickstarter-password-crowdfunding-website-gets-hit-by-hackers.html

That reminds me of SCEE and 70 million costumer details on the streets

That reminds me of SCEE and 70 million costumer details on the streets

Has that been proven? From everything that I read when the hack happened there was really no one that could prove if actual customer data was lost, it was all speculation. 

It seems to me that the laws on something like this are entirely too lenient. It'd be nice if there was an easier way to track these assholes.

Parker

• Like 1

Has that been proven? From everything that I read when the hack happened there was really no one that could prove if actual customer data was lost, it was all speculation. 

It seems to me that the laws on something like this are entirely too lenient. It'd be nice if there was an easier way to track these assholes.

Parker

Sony Computer Entertainment was not PCI compliant, they did not encrypt their clients' details. 70 million consumer details, date of birth, addresses, CC information were there for the taking. It makes it even worse that they were aware of the fact that their security was outdated yet they did not take appropriate action until it was too late. I have not read any reports of people who were victims of fraud although that is beside the point really. Sony agreed to a 250k pounds settlement for their negligence in failing to protect their customer's details.

In this day and age you would expect stricter legislation regarding cybercrimes and the security of sensitive information like CC details. However you have to wonder whether giving up your right of privacy is worth the limitations that come with it. I quite like surfin anonymously behind my computer, would you prefer a nation where all streams of information is closely being watched and controlled like in China?

Usually I don't like newspapers as a source but it will suffice.

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/13337-Sony-PlayStation-Hack-70-Million-Users-Details-Stolen.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/sony/10180338/Sony-pays-250000-PSN-hack-fine.html

In this day and age you would expect stricter legislation regarding cybercrimes and the security of sensitive information like CC details. However you have to wonder whether giving up your right of privacy is worth the limitations that come with it. I quite like surfin anonymously behind my computer, would you prefer a nation where all streams of information is closely being watched and controlled like in China?

Dude, the NSA is watching what you type all the time. Companies like MS and Google give over that information. http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/05/10/15-ways-google-monitors-you

Anyways I FINALLY got my email from Kickstarter this morning.

Edited by Dr_Mayus