Hacked?

tonkie18

I was on the PlayStation app and noticed Black Ops had been started on my account. We do have that game so I presumed it was on the downstairs PS5 which I don’t use a lot. I thought one of the kids might have been messing and started it. I’ve turned it on and that game is not installed. It’s definitely not on my PS5 either.

This happened to me before a few years back. I woke up to numerous emails saying ‘thankyou for your purchase’ some idiot had spent £300 on fifa points. 

Since then I’ve been really careful, had a really annoying password, not kept cards on file and I did have the two step verification for a while but that got annoying in the end. I literally added a card a few days ago to pay for stuff and didn’t take it off ?

Ive gone and changed my password and unlinked my card. Checked my bank and don’t think anything is missing. Is there anything else I can do? Is it definitely some idiot who’s got into my account? I’ve deleted the game off my list to see if they open it again ??‍♀️

Not having 2FA enabled is likely why that hacker was able to gain access to your account so easily. Yes, 2FA is annoying as hell at times but it's better that than have some little shit breaking into your account and stealing stuff :(. You've done everything you can do but beyond that, your only option is to stay vigilant and change your password fairly frequently.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 3

@ResiGamer_28 Aren’t you a ray of fucking sunshine. I’m allowed to use the site and ask for advice thanks ??

2 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Not having 2FA enabled is why that hacker was able to gain access to your account so easily. Yes, 2FA is annoying as hell at times but it's better that than have some little shit breaking into your account and stealing stuff.

yeah I’ve put it back on. Im now having trouble getting into other games and using the downloadable content. Trying to restore licences now.

im not very tech savvy and don’t really understand how someone may have got into my account. Is that the only explanation? Or could it have happened another way?

5 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

@ResiGamer_28 Aren’t you a ray of fucking sunshine. I’m allowed to use the site and ask for advice thanks 1f44d-1f3fc.png

yeah I’ve put it back on. Im now having trouble getting into other games and using the downloadable content. Trying to restore licences now.

im not very tech savvy and don’t really understand how someone may have got into my account. Is that the only explanation? Or could it have happened another way?

I don't know the technical particulars of how hackers manage to break in but you can make life much harder for them by enabling all the security options you can and avoid reusing passwords, whilst ensuring all your current ones are lengthy and complicated.

Just now, tonkie18 said:

Yeah my passwords are really long and in a made up language only my family understands 1f62c.png I’ve put all the security stuff I can on. I just don’t understand why someone would log into my account to play a game? And not spend any money. Weird. Thanks anyway

Hackers may be technically smart but have no common sense IMO.

4 minutes ago, tonkie18 said:

I’m more grateful they didn’t earn a trophy more so than spending no money ?

If I’ve changed everything does that mean they’re booted out now? Do they have to sign in again? Or could they still be in there do you know ?1f3fc.png‍♀️

Provided you have changed your password and enabled 2FA, that should keep any parasites out but I would still keep an eye on your bank account and trophy list in case something happens later on when you're not looking.

1 hour ago, tonkie18 said:

Yeah my passwords are really long and in a made up language only my family understands 1f62c.png I’ve put all the security stuff I can on. I just don’t understand why someone would log into my account to play a game? And not spend any money. Weird. Thanks anyway

I didn't say you couldn't I just said its Sony who can fix your account not random gamers on the internet. But fair does. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonkie18 said:

[…]

[…]

Something you may want to check is if your PS5 is still set as the primary console for your account. If you go to Settings -> Users and Accounts -> Other, then select Console Sharing and Offline Play, it will either ask you if you want to disable the option (in which case, the console you’re on is set as the primary) or to enable it (meaning someone else set their system as the primary.) Make sure it’s enabled. 

Edited by Ashande
Grammar
  • Like 1