Gearbox Suing 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem

Parker

Gearbox Software filed a lawsuit against 3D Realms (3DR) and Interceptor Entertainment, accusing the studios of unauthorized use of the Duke Nukem property and alleging violation of trademarks held by Gearbox. The lawsuit points to 3D Realms' recent reveal ofDuke Nukem: Mass Destruction, which features a teaser site with a timer counting down to February 25.

"Apparently, after selling its Duke Nukem IP rights to Gearbox in 2010, 3DR sought to privately convince others that the sale never happened," the complaint reads. "The result is the unauthorized development effort that reportedly exists between 3DR and Interceptor."

Among the documents filed in the suit is a breach statement issued by Gearbox stating that 3D Realms infringed on Gearbox's intellectual property in addition to a statement signed by 3D Realms CEO Scott Miller and Duke Nukem co-creator George Broussard thatacknowledged the infringement. In a statement filed to Joystiq, Gearbox Software said, "As the filing shows, 3DR's wrongdoing is both admitted and unfortunate for everyone who cares about Duke Nukem."

3D Realms filed a lawsuit against Gearbox in June 2013 for alleged unpaid royalties forDuke Nukem Forever, and later issued a public apology and withdrawal of the lawsuit inSeptember 2013. Gearbox took over the development of the game in September 2010 in addition to acquiring the rights to the brand from 3D Realms.

Source: Joystiq

I hope they work something out because gearbox obviously doesn't give a shit about Duke and the new 3D Realms game could be badass. 

Thoughts?

Parker

They'll have no choice but to cancel 'their' game. With the emphasis on their because they don't actually own the rights anymore. In other words plain robbery, very weird story!

I remember seeing this game at the stores only a few months after it's release for 10 euro. Do the fans really want to see another Duke Nukem game? Let's be honest, 10 years of production time didn't exactly bring what the fans what they had hoped for. Duke Nukem Forever was just a really bad game.

Edited by Goekie

They'll have no choice but to cancel 'their' game. With the emphasis on their because they don't actually own the rights anymore. In other words plain robbery, very weird story!

I remember seeing this game at the stores only a few months after it's release for 10 euro. Do the fans really want to see another Duke Nukem game? Let's be honest, 10 years of production time didn't exactly bring what the fans what they had hoped for. Duke Nukem Forever was just a really bad game.

Absolutely, just because Gearbox doesn't give a shit about the Duke Nukem franchise that doesn't mean fans should give up hope for an awesome game. 3D Realms seem like they genuinely want to make a great game which is why I hope they can come to some sort of agreement, though I doubt it will happen.

Parker

Absolutely, just because Gearbox doesn't give a shit about the Duke Nukem franchise that doesn't mean fans should give up hope for an awesome game. 3D Realms seem like they genuinely want to make a great game which is why I hope they can come to some sort of agreement, though I doubt it will happen.

Parker

I'll rephrase, do the fans really want to see a new Duke game by 3D Realms? Maybe if Gearbox sees potentential in this game they'll agree to a settlement. Seems very unlikely after the lawsuit against Gearbox that was dropped later on. If 3D wanted to make a new Duke game they should have approached Gearbox for a collaboration or at least ask permission to develop a new Duke game.

3D has made such a mess with this DN Forever debacle, maybe its best if an other team makes a Duke game and not 3D. That said it would be awesome if the Duke were to be restored to it's former glory with an awesome new installment, the Duke still has a huge fanbase.

Edited by Goekie

If Gearbox didn't care about Duke Nukem, why buy the franchise? They could have easily watched it fade away without lending a hand to release it  and would have saved themselves quite a bit of grief from everyone.  If 3DR really wanted to make a new game, why sell the rights to the franchise? Why not simply allow Gearbox to finish Duke Nukem Forever and then take the money from it and make a new game themselves. This is all kinds of shady.