How is this possible? ("Legendary" trophy rarity)

baboon_overlord

5 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

Plus I know for a fact, there used to be a way to cheat that trophy for gaining prestige by simply copying a save file. My friend did it, to unlock best stuff in the game coz he absolutely wanted to ride on a bison or something, and he got that trophy, I'm not sure if he got the one for getting rank 50 though.

Not sure how that works but the guide on this site says to back up your save, prestige, then you can load your save to be Level 50 again (which I have done, I want to make the challenges as painless as possible).

When I was doing AC: Brotherhood MP last month, we read that you could backup your save and delete it to get more XP from challenges - but none of us had the guts to do it lol.

Also, I read on here that someone's save on Binary Domain MP corrupted and they lost like 80+ hours of work. It's insane that companies actually use/used local saves for this stuff, not 100% on their servers. 

3 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Also, I read on here that someone's save on Binary Domain MP corrupted and they lost like 80+ hours of work. It's insane that companies actually use/used local saves for this stuff, not 100% on their servers. 

That was me. Yeah, terrible shit...

2 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Sheeet...I'm so sorry. 

I think I'm going to be roped into working on BD MP next month, I will ensure we all back up our saves religiously.

Do it. My save got corrupted missing something like 10 challenges to finish multiplayer lol. At the time I even thought: "probably this kind of stuff is stored on the server, so I'm safe... isn't it?... isn't it!?... damn"

32 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No, difficulty is subjective.

Rarity is (or at least should be) maths.

This. The way my old mentor put was "Something time consuming isn't necessarily hard. Something hard isn't necessarily time consuming."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Do it. My save got corrupted missing something like 10 challenges to finish multiplayer lol. At the time I even thought: "probably this kind of stuff is stored on the server, so I'm safe... isn't it?... isn't it!?... damn"

That's terrible...I can't imagine. That's like at least 2.5x the grind we just did for Ghost Recon Future Soldier, and that was bad enough.

Plus I read the requirements for the challenges, you would need pages of notes. Pages.

Then you have to hope your boosting partners are still up for it....or find good new ones.

Damn that sucks.

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Meanwhile Dark Souls Remastered is in the upper 20 percents in terms of platinum rarity, but can be anywhere from 5/10 to 8/10 in difficulty. Depends on how long it takes you to overcome its difficulty curve, the fact that Dark Souls just throws you out into the open without much help, and the amount of co-op multiplayer you do for the boss fights. 

I find this to be quite entertaining.

Disney Pixar Brave - 2.5% PSN; 25.16% PSN Profiles

Bloodborne - 6.50% PSN; 21.66% PSN Profiles

Brave is a legitimately good game and is proper hard (on Brave difficulty). I recommend it.

55 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

This. The way my old mentor put was "Something time consuming isn't necessarily hard. Something hard isn't necessarily time consuming."

Should of rephrased it to "Difficulty is subjective, therefore the trophy rarities generally don't tell the entire story".

Case in point, Dark Souls Remastered as opposed to niche indie games like Dust: An Elysian Tail and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. These two games aren't that hard in my opinion, but due to their gameplay and their niche appeal, many people aren't going to go through and finish them.

Dark Souls is one of the most influential games of the last decade, and it's popularity and long term appeal can be attributed to so many people earning the platinum. I can say the same for Red Dead Redemption, but multiplayer trophies are almost always lower in rarity because most people just mess around in it, much like Grand Theft Auto V.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Should of rephrased it to "Difficulty is subjective, therefore the trophy rarities generally don't tell the entire story".

That's the same thing but with more words.

The difficulty is subjective and the rarity is down to the math. That either wouldn't provide a complete picture is a given. We have the forums/guides for that.

1 hour ago, HaserPL said:

So? 

Hacking is bad and against the rules. Rather obvious, yeah?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

The difficulty is subjective and the rarity is down to the math. That either wouldn't provide a complete picture is a given. We have the forums/guides for that.

I've been trophy hunting for seven years now so this is pretty obvious to me. @DrBloodmoney just came out and said that difficulty is subjective, because trophy rarities are generally inaccurate when it comes to any time commitment or challenge.

The only concrete information is how many people own a game and how many actually earned all the trophies. That's it. Red Dead Redemption 1 has had a lot of hackers in the past which I've dealt with before. To address the OP, when you go into 'Legend' you lose your progress towards what weapons and such unlock at certain levels. But you keep your badge image after you progressed into 'Legend'. Not everybody does this, because a good majority of people do not partake in any DLC content. The rarity for progressing into 'Legend' is more than likely skewed due to the lower player count.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

The only concrete information is how many people own a game and how many actually earned all the trophies. That's it. Red Dead Redemption 1 has had a lot of hackers in the past which I've dealt with before. To address the OP, when you go into 'Legend' you lose your progress towards what weapons and such unlock at certain levels. But you keep your badge image after you progressed into 'Legend'. So perhaps that is why a lot of people simply stop at level 50.

I got max prestige on Uncharted 3 on my old account. If I remember correctly you had to prestige seven times. There was no trophy for doing so. I did it. 

I see you can play that on Xlink Kai and I am going to play the shit out of it soon. My favorite MP ever.

Yes you lose everything on RDR but you can load your save and get level 50 back, which I want for the challenges, so that is what I have done. But yes, that is another reason why I would expect the "Legendary" trophy to be much rarer, a lot of people wouldn't have known you could save scum and would have kept their level, then moved on.

4 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

As a result, rather than going back to the real rarities (based on game owners) they started using a formula.

The rarities of DLCs are now calculated as the Geometric Mean of DLC owners and Game Owners.

Why?
Because in a few examples they tested…the results they got “felt right.”

(This is all essentially because people wanted to use rarity as a measure of difficulty, which - of course - is silly, and doesn’t work, since one is objective maths, and one is subjective opinion.)

As such, the values you see on DLC rarity now  have no basis in reality, and actually represent nothing.
They only exist to give the appearance of a value to people who mistake rarity as a measure of difficulty…

…but - as you can see in your example - they don’t even do that very well! 1f602.png

this post is going to upset a lot of people

5 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

I got max prestige on Uncharted 3 on my old account. If I remember correctly you had to prestige seven times. There was no trophy for doing so. I did it. 

I see you can play that on Xlink Kai and I am going to play the shit out of it soon. My favorite MP ever.

Yes you lose everything on RDR but you can load your save and get level 50 back, which I want for the challenges, so that is what I have done. But yes, that is another reason why I would expect the "Legendary" trophy to be much rarer, a lot of people wouldn't have known you could save scum and would have kept their level, then moved on.

I poured hundreds of hours into Red Dead Redemption 1 online, so I know this first hand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

May I ask why? Seems reasonable, and also provable.

It's clear that the DLC trophies on this site are broken in terms of their rarity.

Not looking to argue, just asking.

As the OP, I am amazed such an innocent question about a DLC trophy rarity has turned into such a multifaceted debate. Carry on. ?

Edited by baboon_overlord

4 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

May I ask why? Seems reasonable, and also provable.

hi. u must be new here lol

yes its reasonable

but as @DrBloodmoney explained, a lot of ppl were whining in the first place and that's why the formula was changed

there are a LOT of ppl clamoring for a "Rarity Leaderboard".. mainly because they can't compete on the standard leaderboard, so they wanna feel good about themselves by having some other leaderboard that places them higher and makes them feel more elite

I DoNt PlAy EzPz SpAm I pLaY hArDeR gAmEs ThAn U dO

because they feel that the rarer a trophy is, the harder it is to earn, which deludes them into believing they are somehow better than others who have less UR trophies

16 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

hi. u must be new here lol

yes its reasonable

but as @DrBloodmoney explained, a lot of ppl were whining in the first place and that's why the formula was changed

there are a LOT of ppl clamoring for a "Rarity Leaderboard".. mainly because they can't compete on the standard leaderboard, so they wanna feel good about themselves by having some other leaderboard that places them higher and makes them feel more elite

because they feel that the rarer a trophy is, the harder it is to earn, which deludes them into believing they are somehow better than others who have less UR trophies

I mean, I guess I am new here, I've only been a member since 2016 right? ?

But yes, I understand. This is why I avoid the forums like the plague unless I have a question to ask or want to help the community. I have read the posts where the Weebos slam every gamer who plays any game if it isn't in Japanese only. I get it.  ?

You know, over the last two months I have played with a ton of people boosting the MPs for the Ubisoft shutdowns. Some of the players I have played with are the fastest achievers for many games on here. Others are top of the various leaderboards (and by top, I mean number one). We have had a blast. Really nice, chilled out people who go out of their way to help you. I doubt any of them post on here. Ever. 

It is what it is. ?

17 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

This already exists, if you know where to look. I sent the website to a friend here on DM and the URL came up as "bannedurl" or some-such nonsense. So I probably can't share it here, but it exists.

Edited by baboon_overlord

2 hours ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

Maybe?

As always, I’m not trying to upset anyone - I just don’t get flustered if I do.

I mean… the receipts are there, somewhere… the threads I’m summarising all still exist, and freely available to view - including the “this feels right” decision where DLC rarity officially went off the rails.

Folks may get upset - (it’s the internet, yo - getting upset is what we do here ?)…

… but I don’t believe they can challenge me on the facts. 

What I summarised is what happened.

As to whether that means the current system is broken…

… I leave the drawing of that inevitable conclusion, to the individual. :dunno:

1 hour ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

That’s true - though as is well documented, I’m not one of them.

I can’t compete on the Leaderboard either - I’ve been slip-sliding down it for years now ?…

…but the whole “rarity is not difficulty” thing is exactly why I don’t endorse a rarity leaderboard.

I’m all about GOOD games - rare or not, difficult or not - and since a “Good Games Leaderboard” isn’t something that is possible, I tend to think the best idea is simply to ignore the LBs entirely, and just view then as a curiosity - a relic of a bygone time, when there were few enough trophy-enabled games out there that ranking people on how many they had completed was of some interest and value.

For me, the site is much more interesting as a hub for discussion of games, and a free exchange of hints, tips, ideas and interesting game analysis than it is a Leaderboard. 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

Hacking is bad and against the rules. Rather obvious, yeah?

Do you think someone who isn't a trophy hunter cares about having a trophy from a save file?

21 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

if a person doesn't care about trophies at all, why would they even bother using a save file in the first place?

Guess you haven't even seen my first comment. My friend downloaded a save file to unlock every in-game reward from MP, and got the trophy for gaining Legendary status as well.