So Far.... I'm Enjoying it!

I see that tedium and repetition seem to be the common issues with this game. I'm about 10ish hours in and am curious when I'll hit the wall. So far, I been doing mostly world events and collectibles, as I see there are a bit of collectibles. I actually like the small riddle quality to most of the collectibles and the humor from the world events. I really liked Origins but was rather indifferent to Odyssey and counting my final hours with the DLC. I see a lot of people rate this one as the least of the recent 3 and even though the story is rather generic, the gameplay itself has been entertaining thus far. Just curious as to when others who got bored with it started to feel the grind. Thx!

• Like 1

I was the same, 10-15 hours in was enjoying it, thinking "how do so many people dislike this, its pretty fun"

About 30 hours for me the game became tedious and you realise you're essentially doing the same thing over and over again just in ever so slightly different scenery. Gotten all the trophies bar ragnarok dlc (don't own it yet) but it became a chore in the 2nd half of my playtime.

Edit: I have done Diablo 2 platinum at 800 hours and 300 hours of that was just killing the same boss 16,000 times to lvl up, so im not new to grinds and general tedious trophy hunting, but Valhalla definitely became bland after a while.

Edited by t-H-3_d-O-u-G
  • Like 3

I’m at 100% and it took me almost 201 hours.  Besides Mastery Challenge 1 (DLC), I enjoyed it thoroughly! I actually want another excuse to play it more so I’m waiting for the last DLC to come out later this year.  I found the collectibles to be relaxing after a long stressful day at work. You just have to get in the right mindset and approach it all like a big checklist. It’s satisfying to me crossing items off the list. I never really felt fatigue. Forbidden Saga is the best part of Valhalla. Treat yourself by saving that portion last.  Enjoy it, even if that makes you an outlier. 

• Like 2

I liked it. The grind to 100% every territory is when the game began to overstay its welcome.

It didn't help that it all felt pretty copy pasted.

On that front I didn't feel like that was the case with Origins and Odyssey, Odyssey being the one I enjoyed the most out of the trilogy. I'm not sure what else would explain this though.

Overall, the grind was about as on par with Unity's chest collecting. At least the game actually had parkour, the best in the series imo.

• Like 2

As mentioned above, the collectibles and territory clearing can be relaxing and if you want a breather from that you can just do something else. What really let it down for me were the bugs. I had to roll  back so many saves because of something not working properly. Really spoiled immersion and wasted a lot of time. I can handle the repetition of the chapters but it was made much longer by having to roll back saves. It also doesn't help that the game in general is very janky overall from Eivor's movement to A.I., and nowhere was this more apparent than in Mastery challenge 1. I have bought Ragnarok as it was on sale so I am looking to finish the rest of the DLCs. The game is fun overall, just lacks polish.

• Like 1

I agree with the collectibles and territory clearing being relaxing. After recently finishing Ghost of Tsushima (which I unfortunately found pretty boring), which also had a fair amount of collectibles, I appreciate the variety of the collectibles and the fact that most of them are mini puzzles in this game. I think the one thing that gets people about this one is it is so far removed from an Assassins Creed game. Origins and Odyssey still had stealth as a viable option but I find it to be completely useless in this one. This one just seems like a mass murder simulator with a little Witcher 3 and Skyrim sprinkled in. And the game has a decent sense of humor which I always appreciate.

28 minutes ago, cobaltTangerine said:

I agree with the collectibles and territory clearing being relaxing.

Also going to agree with this. I just caught up on some TV shows while I grinded it out, was nowhere near a bad experience. Still haven't 100% the game though, maybe I'll do that soon seeing as the expansion is on sale.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 1

This was the first AC game that i genuinely enjoyed - so much that i went and did all the dlc's (i have not done the last DLC's yet because i haven't had the time to go back to it yet)

AC Vallhala made me go back and start on the other AC Games for the first time.

Currently working towards Origins and even now i'm enjoying it way more then i did the very first time.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 8:09 AM, Jason-DFG said:

This was the first AC game that i genuinely enjoyed - so much that i went and did all the dlc's (i have not done the last DLC's yet because i haven't had the time to go back to it yet)

AC Vallhala made me go back and start on the other AC Games for the first time.

Currently working towards Origins and even now i'm enjoying it way more than i did the very first time.

I still consider Origins by far my favorite of the 3. I'm about 70 hours into Valhalla and enjoy it more than Odyssey. I'm assuming there are some minor mechanics and quality-of-life things that have been improved on since Origins, but somehow they did everything right with that one. I just got bored with Odyssey and even though I'm still enjoying Valhalla, it is very much a cut-and-paste experience. But I am enjoying the cut and paste. Plus, they did a very good job of making the collectibles tiny challenges rather than a simple checklist.

1 hour ago, Komrade_Dusty said:

I absolutely loved the game. It's one of the few I kept playing after I had the platinum. For me, the length was great. I really enjoy something I can just stick with and play for an extended period.

I actually had Origins on my PS4 for a while. My 4 year old (she had actually just turned 4 when she started playing) LOVED this game and would just explore for hours. She started playing Fallout 4 when she was 3, but the mechanics were a little too complex. Also really liked Warframe. She is 7 now and plays the normal games for her age (Minecraft, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda), but she went all in during her early days of gaming.