Online stability is horrendous

I just recently started playing this game and I like it so far but I'm soon realizing that my biggest pet peeve is going to be connectivity to UBIsofts servers. 

On the low left corner of the screen there is a connection icon below the map and 90% of the time it's not showing connected. This is extremely frustrating because I can't access Kenway's fleet because it requires a stupid connection to the server. And then even when I DO get into the fleer menu, I'm kicked out in less than a minute because the connection disconnects. Is there any way to get around this? 

The other issue that this connectivity thing is giving me is that whenever I come across an a event discovery to share for the "Sharing is caring" trophy I'm always offline so I can't share it so it's not counting. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:26 PM, kmosesltd said:

I just recently started playing this game and I like it so far but I'm soon realizing that my biggest pet peeve is going to be connectivity to UBIsofts servers. 

On the low left corner of the screen there is a connection icon below the map and 90% of the time it's not showing connected. This is extremely frustrating because I can't access Kenway's fleet because it requires a stupid connection to the server. And then even when I DO get into the fleer menu, I'm kicked out in less than a minute because the connection disconnects. Is there any way to get around this? 

The other issue that this connectivity thing is giving me is that whenever I come across an a event discovery to share for the "Sharing is caring" trophy I'm always offline so I can't share it so it's not counting. 

Well… then get ready, cause it's quite possible that the PS3 version of Black Flag will be the next to suffer the servers shutdown thing in the short to medium term! ?

Now seriously... If you're having trouble connecting to the servers, keep trying; eventually you will gain access. After all, they are still "available", in theory at least.

On 10/11/2022 at 9:26 PM, kmosesltd said:

And then even when I DO get into the fleer menu, I'm kicked out in less than a minute because the connection disconnects. Is there any way to get around this? 

What you said here specifically makes me think that the connection problem could be yours. Do you have the PS3 connected to the network via Wi-Fi or with an Ethernet cable? If you are on Wi-Fi, you may be getting poor signal. If not, it could be the NAT type you have configured; check if you have the setting on type 2.

I wish you can solve your problem. Black Flag is quite a fun game. I hope you like it and that your connection issues don't ruin your gaming experience. Have a nice weekend! ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Desavenencia said:

Well… then get ready, cause it's quite possible that the PS3 version of Black Flag will be the next to suffer the servers shutdown thing in the short to medium term! 1f627.png

Now seriously... If you're having trouble connecting to the servers, keep trying; eventually you will gain access. After all, they are still "available", in theory at least.

What you said here specifically makes me think that the connection problem could be yours. Do you have the PS3 connected to the network via Wi-Fi or with an Ethernet cable? If you are on Wi-Fi, you may be getting poor signal. If not, it could be the NAT type you have configured; check if you have the setting on type 2.

I wish you can solve your problem. Black Flag is quite a fun game. I hope you like it and that your connection issues don't ruin your gaming experience. Have a nice weekend! 1f642.png

I do like the game so far, i haven't tried the multiplayer aspect of it yet, but I should soon in the event that UBIsoft shuts the servers down. 

I hope that I can get around the whole online issue and that I don't have any trophies locked behind the wifi issue for the fleet menu. I absolutely hate video games that are entirely dependant on being online even if you're playing single player. 

As for my internet, it's currently on WiFi but the modem/router is 15-20 feet away so I can't see that being the issue but I do have a NAT cable long enough to reach the PS3 so I can try that option as well. Thank you!

11 hours ago, kmosesltd said:

I do like the game so far, i haven't tried the multiplayer aspect of it yet, but I should soon in the event that UBIsoft shuts the servers down. 

I hope that I can get around the whole online issue and that I don't have any trophies locked behind the wifi issue for the fleet menu. I absolutely hate video games that are entirely dependant on being online even if you're playing single player. 

As for my internet, it's currently on WiFi but the modem/router is 15-20 feet away so I can't see that being the issue but I do have a NAT cable long enough to reach the PS3 so I can try that option as well. Thank you!

Let me know if connecting your PS3 via Ethernet cable to the router solves your problem. Good luck!

Its the servers, they dont stay connected long enough to use kenways fleet, you will have to buy the technology time saver pack (if i remember correctly) on the store for $2 to unlock the blueprints for the upgrades trophy. And it should still share your discoveries, even with no wifi symbol my game shared the discoveries just fine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D4T-V4UL7_HUN7R_ said:

Its the servers, they dont stay connected long enough to use kenways fleet, you will have to buy the technology time saver pack (if i remember correctly) on the store for $2 to unlock the blueprints for the upgrades trophy. And it should still share your discoveries, even with no wifi symbol my game shared the discoveries just fine

Well, if it's the servers, here in Spain it doesn't affect. I've recently been playing both Black Flag and Watch Dogs without any issues on either.

On 10/17/2022 at 0:45 AM, Desavenencia said:

Let me know if connecting your PS3 via Ethernet cable to the router solves your problem. Good luck!

No the ethernet cable did not solve anything... however... I have timed it down to an exact science lol.

The WIFI icon turns off for exactly 60 seconds and then turns on for 30 seconds.... so every minute I get 30 seconds to go into the fleet do as much as I can, exit the captains quarters, wait for it to reset and do as much as I can again for 30 seconds. It's always for 30 seconds online and always for 60 seconds offline. 

On 2022-10-17 at 7:54 AM, D4T-V4UL7_HUN7R_ said:

Yep, I had to do that, despite having a fast internet… It makes me mad being forced to throws out more money than necessary for damn trophies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had no problem with the multiplayer.   Worked fine.

I had the same problem with the Ubisoft connection during the single player.   30 seconds on, 60 seconds off.  My first discovery wasn't shared, so I was offline when I found it.

Did a lot of searching online and found that this issue happens a lot on the PS3 (and older Xbox).   I saw someone suggest deleting all of their friends on their PSN friend list.   I did that and have had 100% connectivity during the campaign with no issues playing Kenway's fleet.   Extremely annoying but it works.   Sounds like the PSN friends list is an issue with Ubisoft connectivity on the PS3.   Go figure.

Edited by jarfr

• 3 weeks later...
On 11.10.2022 at 9:26 PM, kmosesltd said:

I do have the same issue. GRRRRRRRRRR

Do we really need to play Kenways fleet??

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 1:00 PM, dysss said:

I do have the same issue. GRRRRRRRRRR

Do we really need to play Kenways fleet??

I honestly don't know if there is a triphy requirement related to Kenways fleet. I think there is an in game achievement though. 

2 hours ago, DogFacePig said:

Back in AC3 single player for obtaining all the pivots (before the recent server shutoff), you needed to have less than 63 PSN friends. Not sure if that's the issue here, but very similar scenario.

Don't think that mattered for this trophy. You can get Sharing is Caring without anyone you know actively playing. Nobody was when I played it on PS3.

On 12/4/2022 at 0:43 AM, DogFacePig said:

Back in AC3 single player for obtaining all the pivots (before the recent server shutoff), you needed to have less than 63 PSN friends. Not sure if that's the issue here, but very similar scenario.

I purposefully scaled down my friends list to less than 30 people at the request of UBIsoft and that did not fix the stability.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 21.11.2022 at 3:36 AM, Warlan said:

Yeah and I thought my disc was scratched or something but everything the game tries to log onto the server it freezes the game for about 5 seconds and sometimes it will crash the whole game

I noticed this too on PS3, very annoying...

My advice for everyone on PS3, go get the Sharing is Caring out of the way as soon as possible (I'm currently in chapter 5 and did it yesterday) and after that, disconnect your PS3 from the internet while playing the game. It runs so much better without constantly trying to connect to the servers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/01/2023 at 9:24 AM, Eirulan said:

My advice for everyone on PS3, go get the Sharing is Caring out of the way as soon as possible (I'm currently in chapter 5 and did it yesterday) 

Do the social events still show up while offline?

If I'm understanding how this works do I just have to stay around the social event until my online connectivity comes back (for it to count)?

Going to try and get this one out of the way ASAP while I still can.

Edited by JammyWizard

2 hours ago, JammyWizard said:

Do the social events still show up while offline?

No, they don't.

So you have to play online while going for Sharing is Caring. For me, this was a very unstable experience with 30 seconds connected, 1 minute disconnected, again 30 seconds connected and so on. With horrendous performance.

But after I got this, I completely played offline (disconnecting the console from the internet) and it ran MUCH better afterwards.

• Like 1

I think that the best way to get the Sharing is Caring trophy as of Feb 2023 if you're having server issues is to travel around the map looking for the social events and waiting near the event for the server connection to come back. Once the server connection is back on, navigate to Simulation section of the Abstergo Challenges in the pause menu to make sure that you have shared the location of the event. 

I had found a social chest in the Nassau fort a few days ago and it said that the location was not shared due to not being connected to the servers, however I waited next to the chest until the Wi-Fi icon turned white again. I then checked the challenge menu to see if it had shared the location and it had been marked as shared. 

So far my "share 3 social chest locations" challenge is 1/3, likewise is my "share 3 royal convoy locations" challenge.

I am currently on sequence 3 of the game and am actively looking for the White Whale location, I'll update here once I find one. 

Just before I started typing this, at 1:20am UK time on the 13th of Feb, I had found a Royal Convoy location around (557,550) just next to the Jiguey location, it has approximately 8:30'00" left on the Time Remaining clock before it disappears. If you go for it, I wish you the best of luck. It will disappear around 9:30am so go quickly! 

Update:

Just found a White Whale location at (640, 900) above Nassau, at around 2am UK Time, it has around 7:00'00" left on the Time Remaining clock so will also disappear soon at around 9am. 

Thankfully I have finally popped the Sharing is Caring trophy, and while I do think that the best method for getting all the events to count is to wait around it until the Wi-Fi has reconnected for it to track in the menu, this event popped the trophy for me while the Wi-Fi icon was blank. Now I'm not sure if it was because it disconnected just after I had found the event but I think it is best to be 100% sure that you are around the event while you are connected. 

Edited by JammyWizard
Update