Does anyone else miss the "old" internet?

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

I see a documentry about "The dead internet" theory. Was very interesting and they definitely have a point.

When I first got on the internet back in 99. The net was super slow but it felt alive. There was activity everywhere. Geocities, msn chat rooms, chat rooms and forums were everywhere. Do chat rooms still even exist? I've not come across one for a decade or so 🙁

If trophies had come out in the year 2000, there would have been 1000s of websites for them. All with bad GIFs and view counters.

• Like 1

i miss free internet. for my older american friends here will remember back when dialup was the only option, you could go to walmart and they'd have racks and racks of cds that were free. 1000 free hours of AOL etc etc. i'd grab handfuls of those and never pay for internet. when the time on one disk ran out i'd just use another one. good times.

Not as old as some people. But, one of my fondest memories is way back in the mid 2000s and finding youtube for the first time.
I'd used Myspace and facebook like everyone else even if I was like 7 lol. I still remember the first video I saw it was Angry Video Game Nerds video on Castlevania 2 me and my brothers loved the nerds content and always get a touch of nostalgia when I watch him even his new content.

Another thing which might be a me only thing was playing those text based pokemon rpg websites idk why they just hit different.

On 3/29/2024 at 3:44 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m saying that.

I’ve heard the name as a punchline before, in jokes folks have made about Youtubers, so I assume he’s one of them…

…but never seen any content with them in it, come across any videos, or had it fed to me via algorithm or anything :dunno:

He's the biggest youtuber of all time, the guy who created the squid games YouTube video and gives away hundreds and thousands of dollars to people, he min maxes the entirety of YouTube

Ever since he got big, the bar has been set unbelievably high and it's made it so some people have had to try harder to compete

• Like 1