Combat is fine?

UlvenFenrir

Watched a few reviews saying how jank the combat is. Is it jank because its jank or jank because reviewers have the inability to understand how the combat works? Just curious. 

Its pretty simple. Hold left or right when an enemy attacks, doesnt matter which direction you dodge in even though the tutorial have you believe otherwise. So if an enemy strikes at you from the right side, you dont have to dodge in the opposite direction. It doesnt matter. You dodge once in whatever direction and then you dodge in the opposite direction if an enemy tries to hit you twice in a row. Rinse and repeat.

As for multiple enemies at once. 2-4. Its a risk and reward system. Lets say one enemy attacks you, you dodge all his attacks, then you go for a critical shot with your weapon and you have the choice to continue going for critical shots or you can shoot once and then dodge the other enemies or take multiple critical shots on the same enemy but risk getting hit from the others. Thats all there is to it.

I think the combat works fine. Im playing on the hardest difficulty there is and i have no issues with it. I mean it did take me a couple of tries at the start to get a hang of it but thats because of the poor tutorial. The combat and dodging mechanics works as it should in my opinion.

And another thing. The tutorial even says that there is no timing window for dodging which makes it incredibly easy. So i dont really understand the negative feedback around it. Couldnt get any simpler. 

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Watched a few reviews saying how jank the combat is. Is it jank because its jank or jank because reviewers have the inability to understand how the combat works? Just curious. 

Its pretty simple. Hold left or right when an enemy attacks, doesnt matter which direction you dodge in even though the tutorial have you believe otherwise. So if an enemy strikes at you from the right side, you dont have to dodge in the opposite direction. It doesnt matter. You dodge once in whatever direction and then you dodge in the opposite direction if an enemy tries to hit you twice in a row. Rinse and repeat.

As for multiple enemies at once. 2-4. Its a risk and reward system. Lets say one enemy attacks you, you dodge all his attacks, then you go for a critical shot with your weapon and you have the choice to continue going for critical shots or you can shoot once and then dodge the other enemies or take multiple critical shots on the same enemy but risk getting hit from the others. Thats all there is to it.

I think the combat works fine. Im playing on the hardest difficulty there is and i have no issues with it. I mean it did take me a couple of tries at the start to get a hang of it but thats because of the poor tutorial. The combat and dodging mechanics works as it should in my opinion.

And another thing. The tutorial even says that there is no timing window for dodging which makes it incredibly easy. So i dont really understand the negative feedback around it. Couldnt get any simpler. 

I find the combat fine, too

It's not about whether or not the dodging is simple, it's about it being unreliable. (Shoutout to the condescending remarks surrounding combat criticism though)

I know all about what you just wrote. How the direction of the first dodge doesn't matter, that you have to alternate for consecutive attacks and so on. But even when I am doing things right, sometimes the game will just ignore my dodge input and get hit by an enemy attack.

It's not happening because I'm too greedy with attacks, or too impatient to wait for an opening, or too late to dodge, or forget to alternate directions when dodging consecutive attacks, it just happens for some random reason (I'm speculating that the camera lock on is the culprit, which is arguably the clunkiest part of this game more than dodging). I don't mind dying to one hit on bosses on Maximum difficulty, what I do mind is having this feeling that the game is actively working against you beyond your control. 

You want to melee one enemy out of a group, hold on let me shift the camera to the guy behind him. You can't even move that much during combat because of the camera lock on. Trying to kite enemies is just asking to get hit from behind. Trying to run to get some space almost never works out because it's almost as if Jacob is being sucked in by the camera lock on. 

I had fun with the game. But I don't think it's something that I'll remember fondly. 

Edited by PostGameBlues

On 04/12/2022 at 0:57 PM, PostGameBlues said:

It's not about whether or not the dodging is simple, it's about it being unreliable. (Shoutout to the condescending remarks surrounding combat criticism though)

I know all about what you just wrote. How the direction of the first dodge doesn't matter, that you have to alternate for consecutive attacks and so on. But even when I am doing things right, sometimes the game will just ignore my dodge input and get hit by an enemy attack.

It's not happening because I'm too greedy with attacks, or too impatient to wait for an opening, or too late to dodge, or forget to alternate directions when dodging consecutive attacks, it just happens for some random reason (I'm speculating that the camera lock on is the culprit, which is arguably the clunkiest part of this game more than dodging). I don't mind dying to one hit on bosses on Maximum difficulty, what I do mind is having this feeling that the game is actively working against you beyond your control. 

You want to melee one enemy out of a group, hold on let me shift the camera to the guy behind him. You can't even move that much during combat because of the camera lock on. Trying to kite enemies is just asking to get hit from behind. Trying to run to get some space almost never works out because it's almost as if Jacob is being sucked in by the camera lock on. 

I had fun with the game. But I don't think it's something that I'll remember fondly. 

100% this!

It feels like the dodge mechanic only works occasionally. I'm doing everything right but there are times when I still get hit despite holding dodge, then I alternate to the other direction and get hit again. Also, the GRP thing is a bit glitchy, when I pull enemies, sometimes they just drop or it doesn't work... I'm not sure if that is me being an idiot though or the game being a bit buggy.

Either way, I'm having a nice enough time with it.