The Muppet Christmas Carol Theatrical Cut....Sort Of On Disney +

TheBusToYoker

Because the true version of the film is while available on the service, it is hidden in extras as "The Full Length Version"

wizoIzx.jpeg

The Katzenberg hatchet job version still remains the main presentation of the film +.

That version should have soon as the neg for When Love Is Gone was rediscovered and scanned should have immediately consigned the Katzenberg version to the dustbin of history. 

Progress is Progress though I guess....

Edited by TheBusToYoker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

Pity its on Disney + as we haven't got a subscription, had the VHS of this film for years and it had the song in it, not sure why they would cut the song out when it is reprised at the end of the film, which is a great cute family friendly movie and I always love seeing the muppets with legs.  

Because Jeffrey Katzenberg basically considered the song too melodramatic for a "kids film". Of course the fact the song was pivotal in Scrooge's character arc, understanding it was lost love that made him a misanthrope. Katzenberg of course doesn’t understand any of that.  Without the song, the scene in general, his character is broken.

Technically the Katzenberg cut as I call it is the theatrical cut. But Brian Henson had no intention of cutting the song, so I call the "full length version" the theatrical cut.

Disney at the time thought the film would be a huge box-office hit, but only had mondest success by the standards of the time.

While it was up aganist Aladdin and Home Alone 2 at the box-office, I still think Katzenberg's meddling had a bigger impact on its theatrical run than people give it credit for.  As, when he did relent on the song being restored for home video on the VHS and Laserdisc. The film found a much larger audience.

1 hour ago, TheBusToYoker said:

That version should have soon as the neg for When Love Is Gone was rediscovered and scanned should have immediately consigned the Katzenberg version to the dustbin of history. 

I’ve tried reading this several times and can’t understand it as written. Did you mean:

That version, as soon as the negative for When Love Is Gone was rediscovered and scanned, should have immediately consigned the Katzenberg version to the dustbin of history.” ??

I saw this movie when it released in the theaters and didn’t remember seeing any huge flaws with it. Maybe I’ll give both versions a watch to see if it really dramatically changes the movie experience. 

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I saw this movie when it released in the theaters and didn’t remember seeing any huge flaws with it. Maybe I’ll give both versions a watch to see if it really dramatically changes the movie experience. 

I just saw this video that reminded me that they were putting the restored version up. It gives all of the pertinent details.

Edited by communistwookiee
  • Like 4

I love this film to death and it's mandatory viewing in my family at Christmas time :)! I had a DVD copy of the Theatrical and Director's Cuts many years ago but because of either a fault with the disc or an issue with the DVD Player I had the time, I could never access the longer version so still haven't seen it to this day :(.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

I just saw this video that reminded me that they were putting the restored version up. It gives all of the pertinent details.

A video which finally treats the film with the reverence it deserves. Conflating of classic literature with the artistry of The Muppets would seem on paper a juxtaposition. But definitely the execution of both with a deft, seamless deep understanding is the core reason I feel the film works so well. 

It's not a film I like analysis in great detail though. The Muppet Christmas Carol for me is more an emtional experience, visceral drama.

I remember when Nostalgia Critic covered the film. What a pile of shit that video was.

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

I’ve tried reading this several times and can’t understand it as written. Did you mean:

That version, as soon as the negative for When Love Is Gone was rediscovered and scanned, should have immediately consigned the Katzenberg version to the dustbin of history.” ??

Basically.....

The studio cut as overseen by Katzenberg should no longer exist, and the restored true theatrical cut with When Love Is Gone should now be the only version available. 

3 hours ago, TheBusToYoker said:

Technically the Katzenberg cut as I call it is the theatrical cut. But Brian Henson had no intention of cutting the song, so I call the "full length version" the theatrical cut.

The full length version is what played in theatres on release here in Canada (also still have it on VHS) and the song was so crucial to the character arc. Wife and I lost it when we watched it on DVD and the song was gone, the scene and character transition felt so abrupt without it.

• Like 2

Just now, Kevvik said:

The full length version is what played in theatres on release here in Canada (also still have it on VHS) and the song was so crucial to the character arc. Wife and I lost it when we watched it on DVD and the song was gone, the scene and character transition felt so abrupt without it.

Yeah see I remember it being in theaters as well. Maybe the cut theatrically only applied to the US.

30 minutes ago, TheBusToYoker said:

Yeah see I remember it being in theaters as well. Maybe the cut theatrically only applied to the US.

The TV broadcasts here in the UK show the version without the song, rather than the version I had on VHS with the song.   Sir Michael Caine and the actress playing Belle, did a wonderful studio version of this and cutting it from the movie just disrespects their performance imo, also how dare he decide what children can and cannot handle, children are quite resilient, well at least they were 30 years ago.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alexandra-jane09 said:

The TV broadcasts here in the UK show the version without the song, rather than the version I had on VHS with the song.   Sir Michael Caine and the actress playing Belle, did a wonderful studio version of this and cutting it from the movie just disrespects their performance imo, also how dare he decide what children can and cannot handle, children are quite resilient, well at least they were 30 years ago.  

Yeah I'm in Scotland. Every year I complain about the TV broadcasts.

• Like 1