PS5 version coming February 14th, 2023, with a free upgrade and additional content

This under appreciated gem is getting a PS5 version next month, along with a free upgrade and additional content :):

Publisher 505 Games and developer Raccoon Logic will release Journey to the Savage Planet: Employee of the Month Edition for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series on February 14 for $29.99, the companies announced. Users who already own Journey to the Savage Planet for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series version free of charge.

Here is an overview of the game, via 505 Games:

That’s right, Valued Employee, your journey to ARY-26 as part of the Pioneer Program is now even better (improving on perfection has been hard!) with juicy downloadable content, new ads, bonus chats with Martin Tweed and an enhanced photo mode! Even better, the game is now fully optimized for new consoles AND features a Performance vs. Graphics option. Honestly, you barely deserve it, but you’re welcome. We’ll give you a moment to collect yourself and digest that amazing news.

Digested? Good. Experience planets ARY-26 and DLC-1 with support for up to 4K (native or upscale) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S. And if you previously bought the game, you get the upgrade for free! What a time to be alive!

As you might already know, Kindred Aerospace is responsible for determining the viability of human life on planet ARY-26. Data suggests the planet’s atmosphere may have hallucinogenic properties, but as you know, we have a strong anti-drug policy. Learn about the planet’s undiscovered flora and fauna and document the bizarre life forms our researchers have scientifically classified as “icky.” Conduct research with the standard tools of the trade: laser pistols, bombs, acid, and other explosives or requisition ARY-26’s resources to create tools using 3D printing technology. Just remember that your benefits don’t include health insurance. You die, it’s your fault, Valued Employee.

“We’ve been through an acquisition, we’ve been made redundant, we’ve formed a new company, and reacquired our IP, but some way, somehow, the Employee of the Month Edition of our wacky game is finally coming to new consoles,” said Raccoon Logic creative director Alex Hutchinson in a press release (“weeping only a little”). “Thanks to everyone who supported us, especially you, Value Employee. You’re my favourite, whatever your name is.”

Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2023/01/journey-to-the-savage-planet-coming-to-ps5-xbox-series-on-february-14

The new content, might change the requirements for 2 of the trophies but once I know the full details, the Guide will be updated to reflect them :).

• Like 1

Excellent game and a welcome upgrade!

Fancy replaying it actually, will take me back to the early days of the pandemic when I was told to stay home and didn't have to slave away at my 8-5 job every day ?

Big question is... Will it autopop? The platinum isn't a pain by any means and I'm happy to do it all again but I do not fancy re-doing the Old Game Minus stuff which was tear your hair our frustrating (you had 3 lives and in co-op the lives were shared, took me a few attempts). Not to mention the glitched co-op trophies which my wife still hasn't unlocked.

53 minutes ago, jonesey46 said:

Big question is... Will it autopop? 

Says in the FAQs that it won't.

I’ve been playing Journey to the Savage Planet for a while. Will my save files carry over to Employee of the Month?
Unfortunately, no. EOTM is a separate game client and previous saves will not carry over.

https://savageplanet.505games.com/employee-of-the-month-edition/

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Warius34 said:

Hi ! 

I have Journey to the Savage Planet with PS+ Extra but I can't download the PS5 EOTM édition. 

Do I have to pay or it will be updated ? 

Either 505 games screwed up like they did with Control so you can only upgrade with a specific version or the store has bugged out yet again with the free upgrades so Sony has to fix it from their end. Either way, your best bet is to contact the devs and ask what's going on.

The PS5 game is 'technically' a totally different game than the PS4 version, which is why there's no free upgrade for PS Plus subscribers.

Basically, Typhoon Games made the game and had it published by 505 Games upon launch. Shortly after Stadia was created, Google bought the dev studio. Sony made a deal with 505 Games to add the game to the service. Then, Google shut down Stadia and dissolved the developers, keeping the IP but firing everyone. The devs all got together, opened a new studio and managed to buy back the IP from Google - they then went to 505 Games and asked if they could put together the upgraded version on modern platforms.

So, 'technically', Sony paid for the 'original' PS4 version to be on PS Plus and not the 'new' version which is the one that's being upgraded - this is the new Savage Planet: Employee of the Month Edition which includes the DLC. However, unlike Control (as the situation is quite similar), 505 Games are upgrading all existing PS4 owners who BOUGHT the game so they get both the new DLC-included PS4 and PS5 versions. But, Sony would probably have to make a new deal for the PS Plus version to get 'upgraded' to the new product.

The strange thing is, over on Xbox you have to contact 505 Games directly if you own the game physically as they can't upgrade to the new version without the publisher first confirming they bought the game and then distributing them with a code. I'm not sure why this is the case but it stated people had to do that in the official press release.

• Like 3

On 15-2-2023 at 1:12 AM, turniplord said:

The PS5 game is 'technically' a totally different game than the PS4 version, which is why there's no free upgrade for PS Plus subscribers.

Basically, Typhoon Games made the game and had it published by 505 Games upon launch. Shortly after Stadia was created, Google bought the dev studio. Sony made a deal with 505 Games to add the game to the service. Then, Google shut down Stadia and dissolved the developers, keeping the IP but firing everyone. The devs all got together, opened a new studio and managed to buy back the IP from Google - they then went to 505 Games and asked if they could put together the upgraded version on modern platforms.

So, 'technically', Sony paid for the 'original' PS4 version to be on PS Plus and not the 'new' version which is the one that's being upgraded - this is the new Savage Planet: Employee of the Month Edition which includes the DLC. However, unlike Control (as the situation is quite similar), 505 Games are upgrading all existing PS4 owners who BOUGHT the game so they get both the new DLC-included PS4 and PS5 versions. But, Sony would probably have to make a new deal for the PS Plus version to get 'upgraded' to the new product.

The strange thing is, over on Xbox you have to contact 505 Games directly if you own the game physically as they can't upgrade to the new version without the publisher first confirming they bought the game and then distributing them with a code. I'm not sure why this is the case but it stated people had to do that in the official press release.

Thanks for explaining! :)

And at least this disc upgrade for this is working. I'm in contact with Microids support since the release of Marsupilami on PS5 because the disc upgrade is not working.
Since then they also release PS5 versions for Asterix and obelix xxl romastered, xxl 2, xxl3 and slap them all that are digital cross-buy.
They said that they all should get free disc upgrades as well but none of them are working as we speak. Messaged them again and this was the reply from yesterday and it's not really hope giving :( 

Dear <Name>,

There is currently no news about the upgrade and their availability of now, we are sorry. As soon as we have news about it, we will get back to you.

Best regards,
Customer support Microids

Only disc upgrades from Microids that I know of that are working are the ones that had it on release and both PS4/PS5 version released at the same time: Smurfs Vileaf, Garfield's lasagna party and Asterix & Obelix xxxl ram from Hibernia.

Edited by Kolm