Xbox Turns TV

Dreakon139

1_home_30rock_0907_610x343.png

Microsoft will push out an update to Xbox consoles Tuesday, designed to get consumers to turn on the device every time they flip on their televisions, not just when they want to play games.

Though most gamers will notice a dramatically different interface, and some will take advantage of more advanced voice-recognition controls, the real significance of the update is how boldly the software giant is putting itself at the core of the TV entertainment experience. Microsoft is partnering with 40 content providers from around the globe to significantly increase the amount of live and on-demand content available on Xbox.

Over the next month, Microsoft will add content in the United States to the Xbox from Verizon's FiOS TV, ESPN, and the Syfy channel among others. Next year, HBO Go and Comcast's Xfinity on Demand will come to U.S. customers. Many of the apps from partners are only available to customers who purchase an Xbox Live Gold Membership.

Microsoft is also adding new programming to the Xbox experience abroad. Canadian customers will get content from Rogers Media, Maple Leaf Sports, and TMZ, among others. And new programming will roll out in Europe, Australia and Asia.

The newest iteration of Xbox software, which Microsoft first unveiled at E3 this spring, does away with the interface in which users scrolled up and down to hubs such as Video Marketplace or My Xbox. After they got to a hub, users could then dive deeper into each topic by toggling to the right to the specific content they wanted.

Is it me, or does that new interface look reminiscent of the PS3 interface? :P

I hate to say this but the xbox interface is actually starting to look really sexy. It's kinda reminiscent of the Windows Phone 7 UI with its icons, and needless to say, i quite enjoy that UI :-)

However, it'll take a lot more for me to switch over, after all, the games are practically the same as the PS3 ones exept for a few. And i already have a PS3 so :-)

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one that really just doesn't see the appeal of turning on my system to stream all of my television wants?

Especially if I had an 360, something that is likely to break (RROD) if I use it too much. I wouldn't even want this sort of integration with my PS3, just because the idea of having more things to do on the PS3 would make me get on it more :)

I think it's funny that to watch instant streaming on Netflix on your 360 that you have to be a gold member. I also think the layout pictured above is ugly. At least with the grey background. Now if you can change that (like a theme) then that's not important, but it looks drab the way it is. Where's the marketplace at? Is it under games? Just curiuos.

• 3 months later...

I have gone back and forth COUNTLESS times on whether or not I enjoy the layout and design decision by MS with the new Metro style on Xbox 360; on the one hand, I own a Windows Phone and love the touch-screen ease of use with the Metro tiles. However, I don't care for Kinect and feel it's too gimmicky and not accurate enough; therefore, navigating the interface with a controller is fine, but a little more challenging than it used to be since it's clearly been more designed for Kinect. On the other hand, I don't care for the focus on advertisements; I understand ads are unavoidable in most media like television, radio, etc. but is it really necessary when you already pay for a Gold membership? Same goes for having to pay to be allowed to pay for Netflix, HBO Go, etc. I love a lot of the exclusives and multi-plat games that sometimes run better on Xbox, but the more I think about it the more I'm annoyed as a core and long-time gamer. What do you guys think?