Hopelessly glitched/stubborn trophy - anything I can do?

dieselmanchild

5 hours ago, crosvale said:

That's good to know! I remember specifically being unable to get Vegetarian to pop after multiple playthroughs back then.

Yeah, I got it and Carnivore with no issue so you should be fine on that front. ☺️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To those still struggling to get ‘Back to Basics’ but mainly @dieselmanchild, I just got the trophy using this wall climb glitch: 

Here’s what I did

- deleted all save game data on both console and cloud

- deleted the game

- cleared PS5 cache

- reinstall game 

- played chapter 1 normally while collecting grass and sticks

- hightailed it to the end tower from chapter 2 onwards and used the wall climbing glitch (jump a few times with X then attack with square)

- saved every time I was at the triangle platform for the highest climb and reloaded the save if I was almost out of stamina

The video shows a very lucky “climb” but it took me over 10 minutes during my first attempt to get to the top. Subsequent chapters took about 2-5 minutes depending on how good my timing was. I also found that having the controller plugged into the console made it so much simpler with the reduced input lag. 

This glitch might also work with certain playthrough specific trophies but I wouldn’t know for sure since I already unlocked everything else beforehand. Anyway, hope this helps someone! ✌?

Edited by sharkyaya
  • Like 3

On 2023-05-07 at 5:33 PM, sharkyaya said:

To those still struggling to get ‘Back to Basics’ but mainly @dieselmanchild, I just got the trophy using this wall climb glitch: 

Here’s what I did

- deleted all save game data on both console and cloud

- deleted the game

- cleared PS5 cache

- reinstall game 

- played chapter 1 normally while collecting grass and sticks

- hightailed it to the end tower from chapter 2 onwards and used the wall climbing glitch (jump a few times with X then attack with square)

- saved every time I was at the triangle platform for the highest climb and reloaded the save if I was almost out of stamina

The video shows a very lucky “climb” but it took me over 10 minutes during my first attempt to get to the top. Subsequent chapters took about 2-5 minutes depending on how good my timing was. I also found that having the controller plugged into the console made it so much simpler with the reduced input lag. 

This glitch might also work with certain playthrough specific trophies but I wouldn’t know for sure since I already unlocked everything else beforehand. Anyway, hope this helps someone! 270c-1f3fc.png

This is awesome, congratulations!

I stumbled across a video just like this awhile back that was showing speed run techniques in the game, and iirc I think I tried this but wasn’t able to get it to work. I think I was just spamming jump though so I am very interested in trying this again with your tips to see if I can get it to work.

I will definitely be giving this a shot. Thanks!

This skips all the bosses entirely?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

On 10/05/2023 at 11:12 PM, dieselmanchild said:

This skips all the bosses entirely?

Yes it does. And all the end towers have the same layout so as long as you follow the path on the right hand side, you should end up way pass the arena. 

I know for sure I’m not the only one who got it this way since someone else I knew commented on the video saying they unlocked the trophy using the glitch. 

Feel free to message me if you need any advice. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

OMFG!! The saga is over!!! I can’t believe it. I would give you the biggest bear hug irl right now if I could!!! ???

It took me 5 attempts using the speed run wall skip above. I was very excited when I read your post so I immediately deleted and redownloaded the game. I unplugged the PS4 and cleared the cache. I rebooted in Safe Mode and rebuilt the database again. Reinstalled Windbound, then cleared the game’s cache as it was booting up. The first attempt was on my main account and failed, then from then onwards I went back to doing runs on blank user accounts to be safe, and added 3 more unsuccessful attempts over the last few days.

I almost called it quits after that as I could hardly muster the energy or motivation to try again. But this morning I had a couple free hours and saw that the application was expiring later this morning, so I figured I’d give it one last good crack on a blank account. I YOLO’d it for my final attempt (officially my 20th attempt at this trophy) and at the end it fucking popped! I couldn’t even believe it. I just sat there in stunned silence, completely in shock that it was actually over.

I closed down the application at warp speed and went into console settings to delete my main profile. Then I logged into my account from the guest profile and synced that final trophy for the platinum. I noticed the Windbound application had expired and had a lock on it too which is crazy. Talk about a fuckin buzzer beater! 

Thanks so much for your encouragement and for sharing that skip. I’d actually used a similar jump trick to navigate around spectral towers before, to avoid having to craft spectral spear and risk voiding the trophy, but I didn’t realize it could be used that way. Due to the procedural generation of the levels, I had never noticed before that the boss island actually has the exact same rock pattern around the edges from Ch. 2-5, making a potential skip like this viable. I don’t think the glitch itself factored in to getting the trophy to pop tbh, but it did shave hours off subsequent attempts and make it bearable to try again.

=====

Regarding the skip:

Initially the jump is very tricky to pull off, but once you figure it out it gets a lot easier. Rather than jumping on the flat surface of the wall or towards the right like he does in the video, I found it infinitely easier to jump up the actual spine of the rock towards the left hand side. The wall is shorter there so it increases the odds of you grabbing on to the ledge.

How I did it: Stand on the triangle platform, then jump towards the left so you land right on the spine, then try to kick off from there while pulling the analog slightly to the right to straighten yourself out. I found it very difficult to precisely use the jump and attack buttons like he does, rather, it’s MUCH easier to just lay the controller flat in your lap and spam both X and Square simultaneously after that first jump. Save when you first get to the triangle platform in case your stamina gets too low and you want to reload.

Interestingly, doing this skip will unlock the following trophies every time:

Finish the game

- Pork pacifist

- Vegetarian

- Carnivore

- Baggage claim

As well as potentially:

- Up Close & Personal

- Keep Your Distance

- Back to Basics

To unlock Up Close & Personal or Keep Your Distance, you will have to kill at least one creature with a melee or ranged weapon. Just not a pig. Kill one of the Bleenks on the first island. It’s quite interesting that Carnivore & Vegetarian both unlock as well since they are supposed to be mutually exclusive and you don’t actually eat any food during the run.

Pretty awesome find though, hopefully it helps save people some grief or the tedium of unnecessary playthroughs in the future. Once again thanks so much, I owe you one!! 1f642.png

What is it about this exploit that pops the trophies, when doing them the normal way, fails every time?

4 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

What is it about this exploit that pops the trophies, when doing them the normal way, fails every time?

I’m not sure, but honestly I don’t think the exploit actually has anything to do with it. Although it worked for sharkyaya and another commenter on the YT video, the actual guy who posted the video said he still hasn’t been able to pop it that way, and it took me 5 attempts to get it to work myself. I still feel like this is ultimately based on pure luck — it either pops at the end of your run, or it doesn’t. I think I just finally got lucky after rolling the dice so many times.

However, the exploit is still very useful in a lot of ways. A normal run with all the limitations takes a good 6 hours or so, whereas a speed run with the glitch takes 60-90 mins. So if you get stuck like I did, it will be far less exhausting for people to do 1 hour speed runs instead of playing the entire game with crappy basic equipment.

If people wanted to use it strategically, they could potentially cut down a ton of time and tedium off the platinum. With that in mind the best way now would probably be to just play the game the way you are supposed to from the very start. Go all the way from New Game into NG++ normally, while visiting 100 islands, crafting all items, learning the game and checking off as many misc trophies as possible. Then use the glitch a few times to clean up all the trophies that require full playthroughs with limitations (knife kills, headshots, range/melee only etc.) as quickly as possible. This would probably make the game far more enjoyable overall too.

Unfortunately I think Back to Basics is gonna be a coin toss no matter what though. I still don’t understand wtf is wrong with it.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

What a journey. Glad you got your trophy, you're persistent. Well deserved, enjoy your new platinum!

Thanks man I appreciate that. I’m very happy today, it sure feels great to be finished. This thread was a total Hail Mary and more about me screaming at the clouds than actually finding a solution but it paid off in the end thanks to sharky? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dieselmanchild said:

Thanks man I appreciate that. I’m very happy today, it sure feels great to be finished. This thread was a total Hail Mary and more about me screaming at the clouds than actually finding a solution but it paid off in the end thanks to sharky? 

@sharkyaya world hero

11 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

OMFG!! The saga is over!!! I can’t believe it. I would give you the biggest bear hug irl right now if I could!!! ???

OMG, so happy for you! I saw your first comment on the video and felt bad cause I thought I’d given you some false hope. I’m really glad and relieved that you persevered and got it done. Big congratulations, about time and well deserved! ?? 

• Like 4

I was hesitant at first to start this game cause of the glitches and bugged trophies (looking at you "Back to Basics") but thanks to @sharkyaya awesome found video of the glitch and @dieselmanchild for making this thread, I think am gonna start it soon but am a little bit hesitant on how to tackle the platinum so I want both of your advices.

Should I first go for the glitch and try it first thing first to see if the glitched / specific (complicated) trophies would pop and then continue my journey normally for the platinum? Cause if "Back to Basics" trophy popped for me first I would be more encouraged to tackle this platinum stress free.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Guess that explains why something with some level of production value is going for $2 and change (CAD). Lol

theres usually something like this going on with it. I held off on Beast Quest for years because of trophy glitches and while that game is hardly great or visually impressive I actually liked it (performance aside) so am glad they fixed it randomly. 

Shame that’s the exception. Well, shame we have to deal with broken crap at all. But fixing it at some point is better than not