Hopelessly glitched/stubborn trophy - anything I can do?

dieselmanchild

I’ve spent the last 6 weeks in a state of madness trying to unlock a trophy in Windbound called ‘Back to Basics’ and this trophy will not unlock, no matter what I do. The trophy is a very tedious one, requiring you to play through the entire game using only the most basic weapons and tools. I am 100% certain that I have properly fulfilled the requirements many times over.

In addition to all the time wasted actually playing the game over the last 6 weeks, I’ve also spent countless hours scouring the internet for information on both this game & trophy glitches in general, have attempted to contact the developers several times, and have personally reached out to nearly a dozen people who have achieved this trophy at some point within the last 2 years, all to no avail.

I just finished my 15th attempt at this trophy (yes you heard that right) and failed yet again. I have tried absolutely everything that I can possibly think of and then some. 

Some things I do know, and points of relevance:

1) Per the developers, the game supposedly checks for damage done by weapons to see if you’ve fulfilled the requirements for only using basic weapons or not

2) The trophy is known to be buggy. It has taken most people I’ve spoken with at least a couple runs to unlock. Ironically, the last couple people to achieve it got it first try with no issue whatsoever.

3) Despite it’s known buggy nature, the trophy is not broken entirely. Several people have started this game after me and popped this trophy with no issues at all, and there has been no patches or game updates since I started playing the game which might have affected the trophy.

4) I am on PS4. Recent achievers have been on both PS5 & PS4 so this point seems to be irrelevant.

5) It does not appear to be a profile-related issue. I sacrificed 5 years worth of screenshots and videos to delete my profile off my console and re-add it. This did not help.

6) I’ve managed to unlock the rest of the trophies in the game without issue, as well as trophies in 3 other games, both before & after deleting my profile. 

7) My last 3 failed runs have been on brand new, blank user profiles, not on dieselmanchild.

8) I’ve managed to unlock trophies with similar restrictions on each of the above runs (ie. ‘Up Close & Personal’ for melee only kills) which has confirmed without a doubt that I am not accidentally doing anything/damaging anything that would cause the trophy to be voided.

9) Repeated efforts to contact developers or have support tickets answered have failed. All their social media accounts are long dead and they appear to have abandoned the game at this point.

I am posting this now as a kind of hail mary, wondering if anyone has ever dealt with a similar situation, or has any kind of advice/ideas on what else I could try here?

Would it be worth formatting my PS4 console to factory settings?

As far as I’m aware, trophy data is not linked to your console in any way (besides save game files), and this would be an incredible hassle for me and would require downloading and reinstalling dozens of games, but it is one of the only things left that I haven’t tried yet. I don’t have a 2nd PS4 console to experiment with so I’m afraid this is all I’ve got left.

I know it’s unlikely my console is to blame, but if its not, I cannot think of any other reason this trophy refuses to unlock, other than what is perhaps the worst case of bad luck in trophy hunting history. ?

Thanks.

• Like 3

If it were me, I'd just accept the Plat isn't gonna happen, write off the game, uninstall it (possibly hide the list as well) then move on to something that isn't a broken POS, because it's not worth nuking your hard drive or losing your sanity over. Unfortunately, some trophies are just flat out broken so the only fix is a patch, which in this case isn't gonna happen.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

If it were me, I'd just accept the Plat isn't gonna happen, write off the game, uninstall it (possibly hide the list as well) then move on to something that isn't a broken POS, because it's not worth nuking your hard drive or losing your sanity over. Unfortunately, some trophies are just flat out broken so the only fix is a patch, which in this case isn't gonna happen.

Maybe you are right. I hope it doesn’t come to this, but I’m so tired of this game at this point, I just may be forced to accept it. I wouldn’t bother hiding it or anything as at least I got a handful of nice UR trophies from this one so I don’t walk away empty handed.

The thing is, I know I could begrudgingly accept a glitched or unobtainable trophy and it wouldn’t bother me nearly as much. It’s not like I have a 100% profile or anything. What is driving me crazy though is not knowing why this is happening… The trophy is not broken, nor is it a profile issue like I had suspected. The only reasonable explanation left is that it’s something I am doing wrong, but I’ve talked to so many fellow players about this that I’m as certain as I can possibly be that it’s not something on my end either. ?‍♂️ 

This thread is kind of my last ditch effort to see if there’s someone who has experienced similar problems or if there’s kind of magical solution I’ve overlooked. But maybe what I actually need is a slice of reality lol. Thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

Don't know a single thing about the game, even what genre it is but is there a chance it's being voided by enemies accidentally hurting other enemies with guns / grenades / self destructs etc?

Kinda reminds me of Deus Ex, where someone you knocked out with the tranq gun fell of a high ledge without you noticing and voided the no kill trophy!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LukeTheGooner said:

maybe take a few months away from this game and play other stuff, it's something you could always try again in the future

btw how long is one playthrough?

I’ve been playing a few other shorter games in between to avoid going completely insane, but it’s really been holding back my progress in other games so I probably will shelf it for a little while until I can renew my will to try again.

Each minimalist playthrough takes me around 5-6 hours typically. It’s largely dependant on rng with how the map is generated, which tower puzzles you get, and how much random bs you have to deal with (storms, sharks etc.). It adds up very quickly.

19 hours ago, jimbob12345678 said:

Don't know a single thing about the game, even what genre it is but is there a chance it's being voided by enemies accidentally hurting other enemies with guns / grenades / self destructs etc?

Kinda reminds me of Deus Ex, where someone you knocked out with the tranq gun fell of a high ledge without you noticing and voided the no kill trophy!

This is a really great thought and one I’ve had myself. It actually is possible for enemies and animals to damage one another or take damage from environmental hazards, but I’ve gone out of my way on several runs to be extremely careful to avoid this and watch each enemy like a hawk to make sure nothing like this is happening. I even did one run where I tacked on several hours to my completion time because I was obsessively luring and isolating every enemy I could find and checking their health bars were full etc.

As far as I can tell this isn’t the problem, but that nagging suspicion remains because I can’t be sure…

As for the genre, Windbound is a rogue like survival game based around sailing, crafting and boat building. I was attracted to it because it looks a lot like The Legend of Zelda Windwaker.

3 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

This is a really great thought and one I’ve had myself. It actually is possible for enemies and animals to damage one another or take damage from environmental hazards, but I’ve gone out of my way on several runs to be extremely careful to avoid this and watch each enemy like a hawk to make sure nothing like this is happening. I even did one run where I tacked on several hours to my completion time because I was obsessively luring and isolating every enemy I could find and checking their health bars were full etc.

As far as I can tell this isn’t the problem, but that nagging suspicion remains because I can’t be sure…

As for the genre, Windbound is a rogue like survival game based around sailing, crafting and boat building. I was attracted to it because it looks a lot like The Legend of Zelda Windwaker.

I do like me some rogue likes (and wind waker)

Went to look up the price and discovered I can get it on plus so might give a go after Trials of Mana :)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimbob12345678 said:

I do like me some rogue likes (and wind waker)

Went to look up the price and discovered I can get it on plus so might give a go after Trials of Mana :)

Good luck! I hope you have better luck than I did. The trophies are pretty tedious, but the game itself has a really calming and relaxing nature imo so it is quite nice to play. It’s the only reason I’ve tortured myself so much going for the plat, if I hated the game I would have dropped it weeks ago. Have fun!

• Like 1

Weird. At first I thought that perhaps there are some online server that are maintaining certain state of the game even if you wipe your save but you already did a run on blank account.

Factory reset could possibly help but hard to tell considering you have done so many runs by now. You can also wait once you get your PS5 and try again.

Is there a video of a run which you could follow step by step? Are you playing offline?

edit. This is published by Deep Silver.

iPYorhW.png

They have another infamously glitchy game in their portfolio:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/13205-metro-exodus

Weird coincidence.

Edited by HusKy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, HusKy said:

Weird. At first I thought that perhaps there are some online server that are maintaining certain state of the game even if you wipe your save but you already did a run on blank account.

Factory reset could possibly help but hard to tell considering you have done so many runs by now. You can also wait once you get your PS5 and try again.

Is there a video of a run which you could follow step by step? Are you playing offline?

edit. This is published by Deep Silver.

iPYorhW.png

They have another infamously glitchy game in their portfolio:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/13205-metro-exodus

Weird coincidence.

Unfortunately there aren’t many people who have 100% this game on any platform, so information and videos are limited. Most of the best information I found came from the Xbox forums over at TrueAchievements. Right now there’s no videos of a Back to Basics run on the internet, or I’d be watching it start to finish to look for any clues. ?

Also that is indeed a strange coincidence. Thankfully I had a lot more luck with Metro Exodus when I played it. But I’ve come to the conclusion that Deep Silver sucks! I sent several e-mails to different e-mail addresses I found for them and finally got a reply from someone called “Plaion” customer service informing me they couldn’t do anything at all for me. It was probably a bot response as they clearly didn’t read the message. All I was hoping for was to get in touch with Chris Conte from 5 Lives Studios, or one of the other Windbound developers to get clarification on the trophy requirements and whether there’s some kind of hidden parameter I keep violating by accident.

I’m taking a break from this at the moment to work on a couple other games I’ve been neglecting, but I will return to it soon enough. I’ve only done 3 runs on blank accounts so I’m still hopeful that a couple more might magically do the trick. If it doesn’t, I’ll try again in the future when I can get my hands on a different console — preferably a PS5. ?

thats so strange that it didn't unlock for you on a fresh account even, makes no sense whatsoever.

When i got it i had a bamboo long boat, a bamboo deck and 2 grass longboats all interconnected, never hit a jellyfish even crafted a spear to use on a blockage at a shell, still got the trophy. 

if you deleted your profile, stayed offline and did the whole thing offline i was sure it would have unlocked for you, but for it not to unlock on multiple accounts i can't imagine what you'd be doing wrong, what things were you crafting or using? have you ever crafted a bamboo boat and deck and seen if it worked, maybe that is considered a pre requisite and they never put it in the trophy description.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

thats so strange that it didn't unlock for you on a fresh account even, makes no sense whatsoever.

When i got it i had a bamboo long boat, a bamboo deck and 2 grass longboats all interconnected, never hit a jellyfish even crafted a spear to use on a blockage at a shell, still got the trophy. 

if you deleted your profile, stayed offline and did the whole thing offline i was sure it would have unlocked for you, but for it not to unlock on multiple accounts i can't imagine what you'd be doing wrong, what things were you crafting or using? have you ever crafted a bamboo boat and deck and seen if it worked, maybe that is considered a pre requisite and they never put it in the trophy description.

My last run I used a bamboo boat, but that was the first time in 15 runs I did not use the basic grass hull & mast. I’ve generally tried to be as minimalist as possible — even doing one run using nothing but the damn grass canoe (sooo slow) — and normally using only stick spears and not crafting anything at all that wasn’t necessary to progression.

Oddly, you & Jasko are the only people I spoke to who got Back to Basics first try with virtually no effort at all, and you happen to be the last achievers too. I spoke to almost a dozen players total who have achieved the trophy in the past couple years and everyone else needed 2 runs minimum, with some doing upwards of half a dozen before it finally popped.

Like I said above, I’ve only done 3 blank runs so far, so part of me is still holding out hope that it’s an issue with my main profile and that a couple more runs on fresh blank accounts will do the trick. I will not be attempting it on my main account again. If I can’t get it to pop by run #20 then I’m just going to move on for good and forget this game ever existed lol.

Edited by dieselmanchild

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Unfortunately there aren’t many people who have 100% this game on any platform, so information and videos are limited. Most of the best information I found came from the Xbox forums over at TrueAchievements. Right now there’s no videos of a Back to Basics run on the internet, or I’d be watching it start to finish to look for any clues. 1f615.png

Also that is indeed a strange coincidence. Thankfully I had a lot more luck with Metro Exodus when I played it. But I’ve come to the conclusion that Deep Silver sucks! I sent several e-mails to different e-mail addresses I found for them and finally got a reply from someone called “Plaion” customer service informing me they couldn’t do anything at all for me. It was probably a bot response as they clearly didn’t read the message. All I was hoping for was to get in touch with Chris Conte from 5 Lives Studios, or one of the other Windbound developers to get clarification on the trophy requirements and whether there’s some kind of hidden parameter I keep violating by accident.

I’m taking a break from this at the moment to work on a couple other games I’ve been neglecting, but I will return to it soon enough. I’ve only done 3 runs on blank accounts so I’m still hopeful that a couple more might magically do the trick. If it doesn’t, I’ll try again in the future when I can get my hands on a different console — preferably a PS5. 1f60e.png

You said there's hardly any videos around; Suggestion: What if you made one and post it here in order for us to have a look at any suspicious activity??

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had an idea.

You could probably upload your save to the cloud just before the end of the game. Then replay the end over and over until it pops.

I tried reloading my cloud save and it worked, but mine was from the start of chapter 4 so I'm not gonna redo it.

I dunno if that would work or not but... Maybe worth a try if you still wanna plat the game 

On 2023-04-19 at 8:08 AM, InfamousRanger12 said:

I had an idea.

You could probably upload your save to the cloud just before the end of the game. Then replay the end over and over until it pops.

I tried reloading my cloud save and it worked, but mine was from the start of chapter 4 so I'm not gonna redo it.

I dunno if that would work or not but... Maybe worth a try if you still wanna plat the game 

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have pretty much tried and thought of everything at this point. I uploaded my save right before the final boat journey on numerous runs in case I accidentally hit a jelly fish during the crossing or something, but it didn’t make a difference.

I still plan to come back and attempt this trophy again one of these days, but I’m putting some distance between it and myself for now. I literally did 15 runs just for this trophy (not even counting the others) and spend the first couple of months of 2023 pretty much playing this exclusively. Over 100 hours easily. I need a break. I’m also wondering if perhaps my console somehow had something to do with it and so I’m trying to find an opportunity to try it on another machine. Maybe I’ll just wait until I get a PS5 idk.

I also really liked the game and agree it was great. The developers created something special there, but unfortunately they’ve long abandoned it and left the game in a very buggy state. After numerous attempts I did finally manage to contact one of the game developers through Reddit and he told me they are well aware of this bug and supposedly have a patch for it, but it’s up to the publisher to push it out and that will likely never happen.

Anyways thanks for the thought. If you give it another run I hope you manage to have much greater luck than me. I spoke to numerous people who got it on their 2nd or 3rd run so you might not have such a time. ?‍♂️ 

• Like 3

Ah man, I think this trophy is bugged for me too! I’ve attempted this trophy three times on PS5 and it didn’t unlock. Also attempted other trophies during the runs and they popped without issue. 

1st run - Baggage Claim, Up Close and Personal, Vegetarian

2nd run - Carnivore

3rd run - Pacifist

I followed everyone’s general advice while doing the runs - basic boat, basic weapons, tools for towers, avoid jellyfish, etc., delete save data, closing the game via ps button if something went wrong, full playthrough in one sitting (3rd run).

The only common factor I could honestly think of is that I had killed or damaged enemies/creatures in the purple hued islands infected by ‘Loathing’ in all of the attempts, either for food or materials. Was unlucky in my first run because the third tower in chapter 5 was spectral. In my 2nd minimalist run, I killed infected silkmaws for meat. And during my 3rd attempt, I was trying really hard not to kill anything except if I needed to for the tools. However in ch. 5, I needed a gorehorn crest for a hammer and there wasn’t a single normal one to be found on the map. And while trying to kill the so called infected gorehorn, I accidentally hit a pig and a forsaken enemy on the island. I wonder if anyone has gotten the trophy even after killing enemies/creatures in the islands infected by the loathing? 

Today, as a last ditch effort, I actually downgraded to the 1.00 version of the game on a PS4 and completed another run. That also didn’t work. ?

I’ve been playing this game exclusively for about a week now and it’s starting to get very exhausting. Each playthrough for me is like 5-6 hours long, even when I try to speedrun it. Shame cause I actually enjoyed playing it on new game+ while going for miscellaneous trophies after my first failed attempt. I still have at least two more playthroughs to complete for Keep Your Distance and One Craft to Craft Them All, not to mention the subsequent runs if I attempt Back to Basics again. Was really hoping I could get it done before it leaves PS+ Extra. ?

TL;DR - I wish I was one of the lucky ones who have unlocked Back to Basics with no issues. 

Edited by sharkyaya
  • Like 2

@sharkyaya Damn that’s rough, sorry it’s happening to you too. All I can say for comfort is I know exactly what you’re going through.Just like you i loved the game initially but by the end it became the most mentally exhausting time I’ve ever had chasing an achievement. The game is difficult to speed run due to the random nature of it so it’s hard to get anything under 4 hours. The majority of my runs clocked in between 5-6 hours like you, sometimes longer when things went off the rails a bit. And after awhile getting to the end scene and seeing yet another failed attempt was so draining…

Also just like you, I began to suspect the loathing islands and enemies (which were added in a free DLC update to the game) was somehow responsible for the bug. Maybe enemies were damaging each other or themselves in the loathing puddles and it counts as weapon damage dished out by the player. But from what I could find on TrueAchievements, it looked like this trophy has been bugged since the very beginning of the game before that update even came out.

I also had multiple people confirm they had interacted and killed the loathing enemies or interacted with spectral islands and towers and it didn’t affect the trophy. For example one of my buddies Mat got infuriatingly lucky and had no issues at all with anything and even got Back to Basics first try while doing a pretty casual playthrough that included a bunch of “wrong” actions that were previously thought to void the trophy, like making higher tiered boats and using the spectral spear. I couldn’t believe it. He was the first person out of like a dozen I spoke to who got the trophy first try!

It honestly seems completely random like we are all just drawing straws and some people get very lucky, others very unlucky. Such is life I suppose.. That sucks this game is leaving PS+ Extra too. That means I’ll have to purchase the game to try again which is basically like paying the developers for driving me insane. ?

Good luck to you, I hope you get it finished!

• Like 2

@dieselmanchild I read all your forum posts on the topic before starting the game. And against better judgement plus some advice from friends who trophy hunt, I still started the game anyway. This is what I get for wanting more ultra rares! Haha! 

Kidding aside, I just wish there was a way to diagnose the problem. Like you, it just drives me nuts that I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, what to change, do or not do. It’s so annoying! I swear to god, it better not be because I keep damaging and repairing my boat! ? 

Also, multiple playthroughs typically don’t bother me but man does it suck when you don’t get your reward even after doing everything right. I’m probably gonna put this game down for a bit, mostly cause I’ve spent the last five days playing it all day long. 

I can’t believe we might have to pay for the game after all this pain and effort. Hopefully one of us gets it one day! 

Edited by sharkyaya
  • Like 3

On 4/26/2023 at 2:47 AM, dieselmanchild said:

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have pretty much tried and thought of everything at this point. I uploaded my save right before the final boat journey on numerous runs in case I accidentally hit a jelly fish during the crossing or something, but it didn’t make a difference.

I still plan to come back and attempt this trophy again one of these days, but I’m putting some distance between it and myself for now. I literally did 15 runs just for this trophy (not even counting the others) and spend the first couple of months of 2023 pretty much playing this exclusively. Over 100 hours easily. I need a break. I’m also wondering if perhaps my console somehow had something to do with it and so I’m trying to find an opportunity to try it on another machine. Maybe I’ll just wait until I get a PS5 idk.

I also really liked the game and agree it was great. The developers created something special there, but unfortunately they’ve long abandoned it and left the game in a very buggy state. After numerous attempts I did finally manage to contact one of the game developers through Reddit and he told me they are well aware of this bug and supposedly have a patch for it, but it’s up to the publisher to push it out and that will likely never happen.

Anyways thanks for the thought. If you give it another run I hope you manage to have much greater luck than me. I spoke to numerous people who got it on their 2nd or 3rd run so you might not have such a time. ?‍♂️ 

Yeah fair enough. I tried it again and didn't get it, then did a few final crossing attempts, still no. Not even carnivore or melee popped for me.

Decided it's not worth it. Even if the trophies did work they're just very difficult honestly.

Getting 15 nautilus shells was fun... But hundreds? Bit repetitive at that point

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sharkyaya said:

@dieselmanchild I read all your forum posts on the topic before starting the game. And against better judgement plus some advice from friends who trophy hunt, I still started the game anyway. This is what I get for wanting more ultra rares! Haha!

It’s funny you say that. I also decided I wanted to spend more time in 2023 chasing ultra rares and trying my hand at some harder games as well, and Windbound was the very first one I chose. It sure whooped my ass. I guess you get what you ask for. ?

1 hour ago, InfamousRanger12 said:

Yeah fair enough. I tried it again and didn't get it, then did a few final crossing attempts, still no. Not even carnivore or melee popped for me.

Decided it's not worth it. Even if the trophies did work they're just very difficult honestly.

Getting 15 nautilus shells was fun... But hundreds? Bit repetitive at that point

That’s rough, sorry! Carnivore and Up Close don’t seem to be as glitchy, but they are still extremely picky and can easily be voided if you do something wrong without realizing it.

Unfortunately the whole game is like that. While it’s a nice relaxing game and the platinum is relatively easy (in theory), it’s one of those games where half the trophies have mutually exclusive, pain in the ass limitations imposed on them and require a separate runs dedicated to them, and the other half are buggy to all hell.

I was thinking about maybe checking out that new Tchia game that hit PS+ recently. On the surface it looks to have a very similar vibe to Windbound, but offers a far more relaxing trophy list. Give it a look maybe you’ll like it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

It’s funny you say that. I also decided I wanted to spend more time in 2023 chasing ultra rares and trying my hand at some harder games as well, and Windbound was the very first one I chose. It sure whooped my ass. I guess you get what you ask for. 1f61b.png

That’s rough, sorry! Carnivore and Up Close don’t seem to be as glitchy, but they are still extremely picky and can easily be voided if you do something wrong without realizing it.

Unfortunately the whole game is like that. While it’s a nice relaxing game and the platinum is relatively easy (in theory), it’s one of those games where half the trophies have mutually exclusive, pain in the ass limitations imposed on them and require a separate runs dedicated to them, and the other half are buggy to all hell.

I was thinking about maybe checking out that new Tchia game that hit PS+ recently. On the surface it looks to have a very similar vibe to Windbound, but offers a far more relaxing trophy list. Give it a look maybe you’ll like it!

Tchia has its own gamebreaking glitch from what I've read, that was supposed to have been fixed but wasn't :(.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

Damn. It's really unfortunate that this game seems to still be broken. I've recently decided to work on my backlog and completion percentage this year, and I had played Windbound on day 1 of release. The Carnivore trophy is still one of my top five rarest trophies, but I remember soon after getting it at the time, many others weren't popping, so I brushed the game off to wait on a patch. It was only recently that I was considering returning to it years later, but after reading this insightful thread, that probably won't happen. Unresolved bugged trophies are the worst...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, crosvale said:

Damn. It's really unfortunate that this game seems to still be broken. I've recently decided to work on my backlog and completion percentage this year, and I had played Windbound on day 1 of release. The Carnivore trophy is still one of my top five rarest trophies, but I remember soon after getting it at the time, many others weren't popping, so I brushed the game off to wait on a patch. It was only recently that I was considering returning to it years later, but after reading this insightful thread, that probably won't happen. Unresolved bugged trophies are the worst...

If anything else, all the other trophies seem to work just fine, except for ‘Back to Basics’ as long as you stick to the guide/requirements for each of them. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sharkyaya said:

If anything else, all the other trophies seem to work just fine, except for ‘Back to Basics’ as long as you stick to the guide/requirements for each of them. 

That's good to know! I remember specifically being unable to get Vegetarian to pop after multiple playthroughs back then.