Worst game I've ever played

CB7Tuner91

I know this game is ancient by now, but I just wanted to save anyone in the future that might have this to clean up and finish and say don't waste your time. This is by far one of the worst made racing games I've played. The frame rate is terrible, the controls will randomly become unresponsive, you will hit invisible barriers all the time, and the races are obnoxiously long. I regret ever popping one trophy on this. 

Edited by CB7Tuner91

• 1 month later...

Well the game isn't perfect, but it's actually quite fun, when you get some better vehicles, as mention above. And if you really don't like one class, you can always use the glitch to use any car in any event, by hitting select it was, I think. Right after the start of the race. It would've just been nice if there would've been more to in the open world. Like mp some challenges, like in Burout Paradise, that would've been awesome!

• Like 1

@Mr-Shoryuken-97 Ive got the hang of it im about 95% done. The game itself is just fundamentally broken. Some cars are decent, but most bounce all over the road even if its flat. Then the game randomly stops responding to the controls and just goes straight. Cant tell you how many times that has cost me a race. Ive platinum led Motorstorm and this game is nowhere near as good.

@somekila Damn I wish I would have known that glitch earlier. Ive done 95% of the challenges legit. Will be helpful for the last few I have left.

On 20/4/2023 at 2:37 PM, CB7Tuner91 said:

@Mr-Shoryuken-97 Ive got the hang of it im about 95% done. The game itself is just fundamentally broken. Some cars are decent, but most bounce all over the road even if its flat. Then the game randomly stops responding to the controls and just goes straight. Cant tell you how many times that has cost me a race. Ive platinum led Motorstorm and this game is nowhere near as good.

@somekila Damn I wish I would have known that glitch earlier. Ive done 95% of the challenges legit. Will be helpful for the last few I have left.

How you get it the other cars remaining? I have 59 cars, how to get 74? 

On 22/04/2023 at 11:25 AM, Mr-Shoryuken-97 said:

How you get it the other cars remaining? I have 59 cars, how to get 74? 

Uhh it's been a while, but I think basically just by playing the game.. Earning stars, beating Challenges, etc. I don't actually remember what it was. But doing those things should unlock most of the cars. Pretty sure there where also a couple just driving around in the open the open world, which you need to ram into, in order to unlock them. I think they show up as red arrows on the map. If you don't see any, crash into the roadtrains for each area to unlock every icon on the map. That should be all, but as I said it's been a while, so I'm not 100% sure.

• 2 months later...

Oh, there's worse arcade racers out there, trust me.

But yeah, Fuel is pretty garbage. Terrible car physics and controls, rubber-banding AI, you just slip and slide all over the place, you never feel in control of the car, completely at the mercy of terrible physics, all the characteristics of a bad racing game. And the map is just so unnecessarily large. Takes forever just to drive to the race starts. 

Once you get better cars it gets a little less frustrating though. 

22 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

If this is the worst you've played then I envy you lol

I dont aim to play grubby platinum games. So yea this one aims up the list pretty high. 

23 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

Oh, there's worse arcade racers out there, trust me.

But yeah, Fuel is pretty garbage. Terrible car physics and controls, rubber-banding AI, you just slip and slide all over the place, you never feel in control of the car, completely at the mercy of terrible physics, all the characteristics of a bad racing game. And the map is just so unnecessarily large. Takes forever just to drive to the race starts. 

Once you get better cars it gets a little less frustrating though. 

I would love to hear what racing games are worse than this, lol.

Btw you don't have to drive to each race. Just use the main menu, and with the collectables use the race editor and put the location by the collectable then just quit the race. 

Edited by CB7Tuner91

I haven't played Fuel, so I can't say for certain, but I'll throw out Dangerous Driving as almost certainly worse.?

It's by part of the team that made older burnout titles, but forgets everything that made them fun, leaves wrecked cars on the track, and tells you to sub to spotify if you want a decent soundtrack.

17 hours ago, CB7Tuner91 said:

I would love to hear what racing games are worse than this, lol.

Btw you don't have to drive to each race. Just use the main menu, and with the collectables use the race editor and put the location by the collectable then just quit the race. 

Cool, I'll have to try that. I feel like you should try and drive to them though to accumulate some miles for those distance traveled trophies. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through and only unlocked the first distance trophy so far so I'm trying to drive as much as I can.

As far as worse racing games, Ferrari Challenge immediately comes to mind. Some of the worst programmed AI in a racing game ever, they have no awareness that there's a user car racing with them so they'll just run you over and act like you're not even there. And if you happen to buy the wrong version of the game then some of the challenges are impossible because the AI is impossibly fast and you can't beat them on certain versions. 

And basically most Nascar games made from the PS3 to now. As Charles Barkley would say; "Turrible". 

Is it just me or does the AI get artificial speed boosts at the end of races? You'll have a 100m lead going into the last stretch which means you should have the race in the bag and then all of a sudden the AI gets a nitrous boost and they just blast past you at the last moment and beat you to the finish. Every. Single. Race. It happens when you've been leading most of the race I've noticed so the game engages the 'let's screw the player over for driving well and make him do the race again for no reason' mode and gives the AI the most obnoxious bullshit rubberbanding I've ever seen. 

The more I play, the more reasons I'm finding how garbage this game is and why I abandoned it back in 2009 to begin with. 

@mega-tallica Well what i did for the distance is you get to an area later in the game thats all flat desert. I just used a motorcycle and just rubberband my controller all night.

And yes its bullshit how it does that towards the end of races. You'll be going through grass with the same car as the AI and you're slowing down and they blow right by you. Wait till you get to the end. Theirs a 100 mile race that takes an hour to complete. Imagine losing that one at the last stretch, lol. 

2 hours ago, CB7Tuner91 said:

And yes its bullshit how it does that towards the end of races. You'll be going through grass with the same car as the AI and you're slowing down and they blow right by you. Wait till you get to the end. Theirs a 100 mile race that takes an hour to complete. Imagine losing that one at the last stretch, lol. 

Ugh, that must be one of the last challenges then because I haven't encountered that one yet. Fantastic lol. 

I just finished all the career races and there's some at the end that were tough and resorted to me using the glitch. The AI just gets these stupid huge leads in some races and you can never catch them. The Valkyrie bike makes many of those races much easier, I kinda wish I used the glitch earlier. Would definitely have had less frustration. Also love those moments when the controls just stop working for a few seconds. That's real fun to deal with in a racing game that requires constant precise controls to just lose all control of your car randomly making you fly off the side of a cliff at the end of a 10 minute race. What a great game. 

I tried going for those trophies that requires you to drive across the map without using fast travel. I got about halfway through one run and the game froze. 1.5 hours completely wasted, that was almost the last straw I had with this game. 

It's like every day you find a new reason why this game sucks. 

@mega-tallicaHaha the controls randomly not responding almost made me throw my controller a few times. Id have a race in the bag then bam the game stops responding and the car goes off a cliff...good times lol. My 7 year old looked at me like i was crazy a few times over losing it with that game.

Btw another tip with the driving across the map from point to point. Fast travel to the camp where you have to start. Then load your map and fast travel to the closet location to the camp you need to reach then drive the rest of the way. Those trophies will still pop.

Edit: So I figured I'd just mention this to you before you spend anymore time on the game. I was looking at your trophies and seen you don't have the online trophies unlocked. You know the servers shutdown years ago when GameSpy went out of business. 

Edited by CB7Tuner91

28 minutes ago, CB7Tuner91 said:

@mega-tallicaHaha the controls randomly not responding almost made me throw my controller a few times. Id have a race in the bag then bam the game stops responding and the car goes off a cliff...good times lol. My 7 year old looked at me like i was crazy a few times over losing it with that game.

Btw another tip with the driving across the map from point to point. Fast travel to the camp where you have to start. Then load your map and fast travel to the closet location to the camp you need to reach then drive the rest of the way. Those trophies will still pop.

Edit: So I figured I'd just mention this to you before you spend anymore time on the game. I was looking at your trophies and seen you don't have the online trophies unlocked. You know the servers shutdown years ago when GameSpy went out of business. 

Yeah, I know the servers are shut down. I'm just cleaning up old games from my backlog that I never really finished. Trying to up my completion percentage and collect some ultra rare's along the way. 

If that works, that'll be a massive time saver for the cross map trophies. I'll definitely try that, thanks for the tips!

11 hours ago, CB7Tuner91 said:

@mega-tallica I respect that. Im on a similar path myself. Want to get my account into the 90% range and keep it there. Been playing alot of my unfinished stuff because it raises your percentage faster than starting new games.

No problem on the tips. Glad I could help. Good luck on the rest of the trophies. 

90% is also my goal but I'd be pretty happy with 80% at this point. It's taken me 3 years just to get from 65% to 75% and I'm still not even there yet. 90% seems like a lifetime away lol. I've got plenty of PS3 games before I started trophy hunting that can easily be cleaned up so it shouldn't be a problem even though many of the platinums are unobtainable now like this game. Oh well. 

This is a pos game, we need to have it whitelisted for the save glitch trophies. Back in the day the guides were even reccomending doing the save glitch for the trophies, but now we have to have it flagged and hidden smh. 

Terrible game regardless.

7 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

90% is also my goal but I'd be pretty happy with 80% at this point. It's taken me 3 years just to get from 65% to 75% and I'm still not even there yet. 90% seems like a lifetime away lol. I've got plenty of PS3 games before I started trophy hunting that can easily be cleaned up so it shouldn't be a problem even though many of the platinums are unobtainable now like this game. Oh well. 

It's not impossible. I started at 68% in 2020 and I'm currently at 88%. I just mainly focused on what was already on my account and tried my best not to start to many new games. Because it drives your percentage back down. Just stay on the path your own and you'll get there eventually. 

On 7/20/2023 at 3:53 PM, CB7Tuner91 said:

It's not impossible. I started at 68% in 2020 and I'm currently at 88%. I just mainly focused on what was already on my account and tried my best not to start to many new games. Because it drives your percentage back down. Just stay on the path your own and you'll get there eventually. 

Yeah, I'm slowly getting there. 

Back on topic, I just finished up all the challenges in this terrible game. Being able to use the vehicle glitch and using the Valkyrie for basically every challenge conserved my sanity. That Blitz challenge in Rainier's Peak is near impossible if it weren't for the glitch bypassing it. 

The texture pop-ins got worse and worse the more I played and there were moments near the end where the game just doesn't load in the world ahead of you fast enough and you're driving blind through blurry polygons. 

And the completely broken damage model where you'll just receive extreme damage going down a mountain for no reason. Cheap way I guess so you can't take excessive shortcuts but I found out late during going for the vista points that if you slide down a mountain sideways or backwards then you won't receive as much damage and you'll usually be able to make it all the way down without crashing your car. Going up these cliffs is another story. There's one vista point that's just in the dumbest spot possible surrounded by the steepest cliffs you have to climb. The only vehicle that can make it up these cliffs is The Educator since it's physics are broken and it can inch it's way up practically 90 degree vertical cliffs whereas other vehicles will start sliding back down. Even then you still have to search aimlessly around this massive mountain for the spot you need to start climbing up. Took an hour just to get this one vista point, the amount of times I got right near the top, stalled out and slid right back down the mountain made me rage the hardest I ever had in a video game in a long time. 

There also needs to be a manual gear option as the game gets stuck in gears going up hills and won't shift properly so you end up snail-crawling up a hill if you were unlucky to hit it too slowly without enough momentum and the AI blows by you because the stupid game won't switch gears properly for you. 

I stand by my first comment that Fuel isn't the worst racing game ever but it's certainly up there. It's top 5 worst racing game ever for sure.