Profile Not Automatically Updating

9 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

You can still manually update.

True, but as the front page states that ALL profiles should be updating automatically. Unregistered per week, registered daily and premium members every six hours.

Sly supposedly took away auto-updating from the majority of PSN accounts over half a decade ago without changing the info on the update box. I’m convinced auto-updating should be universal for all 5.9-6 million tracked gamers (as of me typing this) for as long as said info is still visible from there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

You can still manually update.

That is correct. But there is also a thing going on where people are ip banned (lasting for months) from updating because they "made too many requests for updates". Fortunately for me, I only update my own profile and only once per week, so I have not been banned yet. For the people who have been banned from updates, the only option left to get any profile updates at all seems to be to get premium.

2 hours ago, Dry said:

True, but as the front page states that ALL profiles should be updating automatically. Unregistered per week, registered daily and premium members every six hours.

Sly supposedly took away auto-updating from the majority of PSN accounts over half a decade ago without changing the info on the update box. I’m convinced auto-updating should be universal for all 5.9-6 million tracked gamers (as of me typing this) for as long as said info is still visible from there.

Agreed. Either the text about updating needs to be corrected, or the issue needs to be acknowledged. At this point I just want some staff member to say (for example) one of the following:
* Yes, this is a bug. We're looking into it. Hang in tight as we try to fix it

* Yes, this is a bug. We tried fixing it and it seemed like it worked but now it's broken again and we have no idea how to fix it. Sorry, this will stay broken for a while.

* This is not a bug. We have substantially more profiles than x years ago, so we need to do a lot more API requests to auto update all those profiles, and it's just not feasable anymore, so we disabled it. We'll update the text accordingly.

A status update would be nice. But when reading several forum threads, it seems that Sly isn't really communicating with the staff and the staff is in the dark about most things. That's unfortunate, because a little bit of communication goes a long way.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Maartje_ said:

That is correct. But there is also a thing going on where people are ip banned (lasting for months) from updating because they "made too many requests for updates". Fortunately for me, I only update my own profile and only once per week, so I have not been banned yet. For the people who have been banned from updates, the only option left to get any profile updates at all seems to be to get premium.

Agreed. Either the text about updating needs to be corrected, or the issue needs to be acknowledged. At this point I just want some staff member to say (for example) one of the following:
* Yes, this is a bug. We're looking into it. Hang in tight as we try to fix it

* Yes, this is a bug. We tried fixing it and it seemed like it worked but now it's broken again and we have no idea how to fix it. Sorry, this will stay broken for a while.

* This is not a bug. We have substantially more profiles than x years ago, so we need to do a lot more API requests to auto update all those profiles, and it's just not feasable anymore, so we disabled it. We'll update the text accordingly.

A status update would be nice. But when reading several forum threads, it seems that Sly isn't really communicating with the staff and the staff is in the dark about most things. That's unfortunate, because a little bit of communication goes a long way.

Well, Sly did say something about the boldened part quite a while back, but it's not the amount of profiles that have increased, but that PSN doesn't like when any website request many trophy pulls at once, unlike it did in the past. I don't see automatic updates for unregistered members ever coming back and for registered users it may only come back being every week or a bigger period of time. Sly should definitely update the front page though, that's for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, Dry said:

Do you have any answer as to why auto-updating was removed? It is also bugging me, as it skews the statistic for among other things rarity of the trophies. Almost all newer games have inflated rarity rates, which kinda makes that statistic useless...

5 minutes ago, Gerdie_3000 said:

Do you have any answer as to why auto-updating was removed? It is also bugging me, as it skews the statistic for among other things rarity of the trophies. Almost all newer games have inflated rarity rates, which kinda makes that statistic useless...

Sly replied to a comment of mine from almost a year ago with the answer.

Still waiting for him to either turn auto-updating back on site wide or remove the false promise visible on the front page’s “update profile” box stating that all profiles will auto-update per week at the latest. Yes I know I’m repeating myself.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dry said:

Sly replied to a comment of mine from almost a year ago with the answer.

Still waiting for him to either turn auto-updating back on site wide or remove the false promise visible on the front page’s “update profile” box stating that all profiles will auto-update per week at the latest. Yes I know I’m repeating myself.

Thank you for that. Very interesting read. I would not have my hopes up too high unfortunately, seeing as it's been over 6 years now... Could be awesome though with weekly auto-updates again. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, AshtonCakeTTV said:

Seems like everything is good, my profile has been auto-updating for the past few days.

I am curious if the updating for unregistered users is also working as advertised tho

They're definitely NOT being auto-updated. Regular users such as you being auto-updated is already surprising since it has not been like that for many years.

Just as an update in case anyone else was curious:

I can confirm that my own profile (a non-premium, registered user) has been updating itself everyday for over a week now

but I updated a friend's profile (an unregistered users), who's not really into trophies but I still like to check their profile every now and then, and was watching it for a week and when it came time to update itself the infamous 'Updating soon' appeared

TLDR; registered people are good now, unregistered folks still aren't auto-updating weekly

• Like 1