PlayStation 4 Getting Pre-Load Ability in April?

Parker

Sucker Punch, developer of the Infamous titles, has stated that sometime in April the PS4 will be getting the ability to pre-load games so you'll be able to play them as soon as they unlock at midnight of the launch date. 

PlayStation 4 gamers may soon be able to pre-load titles onto their console before the game is released, so they can play it the second launch day rolls around.

According to Infamous: Second Son developer Sucker Punch on Twitter, the functionality is due to arrive in North America from April. No word has been given about whether other territories will see it, but presumably that'll be soon.

Though we've yet to get any official word about this from Sony, we do know a big patch is on the way next month that's set to include video editing, a HDCP off option and an upgrade in Twitch broadcasting quality.

The telling part of yesterday's update announcement was the final sentence, which promised, "there’s a lot more coming in this update as well," so it's very possible that pre-loading is going to be one of these currently unannounced features.

In case you missed it earlier this week, the company announced it's working on its own 3D Virtual Reality headset to rival the upcoming Oculus Rift. Seeing as sales figures for the console are currently sitting at comfortably over 6 million, there's definitely a market for the new device.

Source: IGN

I think this is fantastic news and I think a lot of people who like bying their games digitally are going to love this. One of the advantages of Steam was the ability to pre-load games so it is great that the feature is coming to the PS4. 

Parker

• Like 1

This is great news for those that buy games digitally at release. Other than for my Vita, I do not. Next, they need to give some type of discount to digital releases if the want to encourage more people to go away from physical. 

This is great news for people who buy digitally. i don't mainly because they still charge full price. But its nice to have this option available if i ever decide to go digital.

Holy hell.... we read each others' minds.

• Like 1

I don't usually buy digital games, sounds really handy tough but Is the pre-load a week, day, hours earlier ? I don't know how that works but what if there's this hacker find a way to unlock them? Maybe I'm just saying something stupid but yeah, there's always those desperate kiddos.

This is great news for those that buy games digitally at release. Other than for my Vita, I do not. Next, they need to give some type of discount to digital releases if the want to encourage more people to go away from physical.

Holy hell.... we read each others' minds.

I agree with this 100%. There are some games that have done this but it seems like most big releases charge the same price for the physical and digital copy, which is pretty goofy. 

Also, I wonder if this will be like Steam where the game unlocks based on the latest timezone in your country instead of being based on your own. From my experience with Steam, I've had to wait until 3 AM before a game unlocks because we're 3 hours ahead of the west coast. 

Parker

• Like 2

I live in Australia where the future of the internet appears uncertain (thank you BASED Turnbull). Especially for games weighing in at tens of gigs, I'll still primarily purchase my games physically. This feature is great for those who go full digital, but unfortunately not me.