Ps3 can't read disc

Profeelgood

I wanted to go back and finish my platinum of ff13 from 12 years ago. I went and bought a used copy and my ps3 wouldn't read the Disc. I also bought two other games and it read those discs just fine. I went back, switched out my ff13 copy for another, and the same issue occurs. Both ff13 copies were in amazing condition by the way. The other game I bought was noticeably scratched up but had no problems loading up. I tried some other old ps3 games I had like Rock Band 2, Demons Souls and GTA4. They were loading just fine too. 

I browsed the internet about this. But couldn't seem to find an answer that fits my specific problem. Everyone said, oh the Disc might be needing cleaned. Or your laser reader went out or it might be dusty. Or contact Sony if the ps3 is still under warranty. Obviously it's not cause my ps3 is almost 13 years old. It is the SAME ps3 I used to play ff13 originally back in 2011. 

Someone also said, maybe the ps3 needs to have enough space for the game data. Well, I installed a 1TB hard drive 5 or 6 years ago and still have 700GB available. 

So what gives? Why will it not read this game Disc? I'm very confused on what could be the issue. I want to finish my save, so I can't stream it even if it was available to stream. And it's not available for a digital download on the ps3 store. 

The only thing I could think of would be the hard drive I have installed but that seems weird to me. 

Anyone know what could be going on? 

From what I recall, FF13 is a dual layer disc - have a look at the underside of the disc under a light, it should have a kind of wavy/rainbow look to it if it is. I don't think there were many discs like that on PS3.

Unfortunately, it's not too unusual for consoles to start to have issues with dual layer discs as they age. Your PS3 may be able to read other discs fine, and that's probably because they're regular single layer discs, but the lens could be having difficulty reading dual layers. You could try cleaning the lens, if at all possible, but chances are, it may be "failing" (may not actually fully fail any time soon, could take literal years) and would need to be fully replaced.

Some discs drives are also just finnicky and don't like certain discs. My most recent PS3, that I got back in 2016, refuses to read my original copy of Deus Ex Human Revolution, despite it working on 2 other PS3s. It reads all other discs fine, including a brand new copy of the same game, just not that one singular disc despite it being in good condition.

Only other thing I can suggest is re-orientating the console. For example, if it's currently horizontal, try placing it vertically, or vice versa. Might sound weird, but it sometimes gets stubborn discs to work. You may have heard old internet stories of people putting their PS1s upside down in order for them to read discs and such... sometimes that actually does work, somehow.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

From what I recall, FF13 is a dual layer disc - have a look at the underside of the disc under a light, it should have a kind of wavy/rainbow look to it if it is. I don't think there were many discs like that on PS3.

This is probably it. My Wii suddenly developed an issue reading Smash Bros Brawl which is also a dual layered disc. It worked fine after the reader was sorted.

Edited by IcySeaSurfer
  • Like 1

i had 2 different ps3s i had to eventually swap the blu ray out for a used one. some games it would play and some it wouldnt until eventually it wouldnt read any games at all.

but i also had a problem with crash bandicoot racing on ps4 where my newer ps4 pro would not read the disc, but my older ps4 day 1 version would read it. didnt make much sense at all.

if possible try it in someone elses ps3 this way you can determine if its the disc or console

What Raidou said sounds the most logical. The Disc is like you said, all wavey and rainbowish like. I will try it vertically. But it seems if I really want to get the long awaited platinum. I'll have to find a somewhat newer ps3 and see if that works. 

Thank you

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Profeelgood said:

What Raidou said sounds the most logical. The Disc is like you said, all wavey and rainbowish like. I will try it vertically. But it seems if I really want to get the long awaited platinum. I'll have to find a somewhat newer ps3 and see if that works. 

Thank you

Please, dont forget to come back and tell us how was your journey towards this platinum trophy.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 0:02 AM, veinte-justo said:

Please, dont forget to come back and tell us how was your journey towards this platinum trophy.

I will! I appreciate the encouragement ?

And also, I wasn't very hopeful, BUT! 

On 3/24/2023 at 10:30 PM, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

Only other thing I can suggest is re-orientating the console. For example, if it's currently horizontal, try placing it vertically, or vice versa. Might sound weird, but it sometimes gets stubborn discs to work.

I'd attach a photo from my phone if I could. I oriented my console vertically and it totally reads it. I wouldn't have done it if you didn't say it. Thank you so much. ? 

Disappointing Edit: ....I went to start it up, and the ps3 runs and stops the Disc in a quick succession 3 times and stops and it pops up "80010514 error" which I read is a disc read error. ? oh well, so much for that....

Edited by Profeelgood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Profeelgood said:

Disappointing Edit: ....I went to start it up, and the ps3 runs and stops the Disc in a quick succession 3 times and stops and it pops up "80010514 error" which I read is a disc read error. 1f612.png oh well, so much for that....

Damn.. blue-balled by a ps3. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Big_Bobs_Beeper said:

Damn.. blue-balled by a ps3. 

Straight up, I got the lotion out, turned down the lights, lit some hazelnut candles, got my designated rag. (I never read the terms and conditions for this site so I hope this isn't too much with this next line...) and I started slow strokin' while I saw the ff13 logo on the xmb dashboard. Sensually fantasizing about that platinum that got away....

then imma about to go hard after I hit X and BAM. Error 80010514.

No joke. Shriveled up. Gotta go to the doctor tomorrow. 

• Like 2

On 25/03/2023 at 0:22 AM, Profeelgood said:

Thank you

Wouldn't be easier to buy FF13 digitally on the PS Store - if it is still available - than buying a new console? Unless you have more games like that or doesn't like digital games.

16 minutes ago, Boni_Neto said:

Wouldn't be easier to buy FF13 digitally on the PS Store - if it is still available - than buying a new console? Unless you have more games like that or doesn't like digital games.

FF13 was never released digitally.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Boni_Neto said:

SegaJAM reconfirmed

16 minutes ago, SegaJAM said:

FF13 was never released digitally.

But damn, at least fully read the original post before weighing in....

On 3/24/2023 at 10:10 PM, Profeelgood said:

I want to finish my save, so I can't stream it even if it was available to stream. And it's not available for a digital download on the ps3 store. 

39 minutes ago, AK-1138 said:

Your PS3 has developed sentience and is trying to protect you from a shitty game

Boooooo.

ff13 might not be the best final fantasy by any means. But it attempts to be different like every final fantasy game, and I very much value it's entertainment by not comparing it to other games like you do. I'm sorry you can't differentiate games for their own worth and have to infect your opinions onto others like a common parasite. 

Edit: im a little inebriated and was curious of what AK-1138 has played.

--Thats also coming from the guy that's played FoxyLand 1 and 2 four different times, And the "noun-letter" games a couple times each. I respect the lack of Auto-poping trophies. But your list doesn't give you much credibility when it comes to respecting your judgment of what's considered "shitty" or "not shitty".--

Edited by Profeelgood
I'm not sober.