Blitzball trophies?

BossChad1216

Make sure you're playing on manual rather than auto (press triangle while any character is dribbling at any point during a match) because the AI is terrible. I had a friend who didn't even realise you could switch.

I also end up dropping most of the original Aurochs 'cause none of them are particularly good. Very early on (i.e. as soon as you leave Luca) I tend to backtrack and sign the Ronso on the docks 'cause while he's not particularly fast, he's tough with decent stats and is a good all-rounder. He's very useful until you can sign the likes of Nimrook later on.

Passing the ball around a lot (especially when you're stalling) is useful for levelling up your team early on without taking much of a risk. Just don't try to pass it too far if a character's PA is low 'cause you risk it being fumbled and your opponents claiming it. And obviously don't pass to a character who's stuck too close to a bunch of players from the opposing team 'cause they'll be swarmed. It's a better way of stalling than just swimming in circles, in my opinion.

Also learn the strengths and weaknesses of each opposing team. The Goers are actually pretty average. The Guados are fast but weak. The Ronso are strong but slow. The Kilika Beasts are easy to beat early on but they get tougher later. The Al Bhed Psyches are the strongest all-round so you'll need to be careful and play strategically against them.

Really it's just a case of learning strategy etc. Once you've figured it out (and levelled up a bit) the opponent AI is very predictable and easy to beat.

Edited by ProudMode
  • Like 1

I've only played a couple of matches on my current game, before I left Luca I recruited Wedge & Jumal. Seem to be having an easier time, drew against the Al Bhed Psyches & won against the Ronso's.

I'm playing league at the moment to gain experience before taking on a tournament. Planning on leaving most of Blitzball until post game though.

Yeah I have never been a huge fan of the blitzball games so these trophies are going to be painful for me. Best of luck to other people trying to get those trophies.

I like the concept of Blitzball but I'm not a big fan of it either so I think I'll leave it until post game. Good luck to you too, as well as others going for the trophies

• Like 1

I'm going to get the Vita version just for Blitz on the go. It's my favorite; I've wished for a long time that they would have released a standalone game! Multiplayer, graphics overhaul, trades, more teams and players, etc. 

The key for new players is to learn to think strategically. Stop (Square) before someone gets into the ball carrier's sphere of influence. Pass to someone open or, if you have a decent EN (Endurance) stat, proceed until one person is close. As ball carrier, most of the time you decide when play stops. When deciding whether to breakthrough, look first at the AT (Attack) vs. EN stats to see if you have a hope of breaking through. Then look at SH (Shot) or PA (Pass) vs. BL (Block) to see if you need to breakthrough (i.e. is your pass or shot likely to get through without the risk of the breakthrough).

Remember: FFX is a JRPG from the end of the decade of great turn-based JRPGs. Square wasn't EA; this isn't a sports game. Just like nothing in battle compels you to make snap decisions, don't do it in blitz either. Blitz is a question of whose stats are <=> with enough luck thrown in to make the game somewhat more interesting. Think about it this way and your issues will decrease.

Good luck!

--Databoy2k

• Like 1

Here's a really good team that I used all the time back on the PS2.

Strikers: Tidus and Eigaar(Brother at the lower levels works well, as does Wedge.)

Midfield: Brother (Linna works well too. Get her before you leave Macalania or you have to beat Dark Shiva to get her.)

Defence: Judda and Doram (Doram's kinda average though. I'd suggest getting someone like Lakkam instead.)

Goalkeeper: Nimrook

Brother levels up so quick you'll be glad you got him. At max level, he has 99 speed. No-one will be able to catch up to him.

• Like 1

I love blitzball and I'm excited to play it a lot again.  

Here was my team from the PS2 days.  Offense: Tidus, Brother, ???(don't remember who was my other...think it was a Guado)  Defense: Kyou and Ropp (so damn strong and good)  Goalkeeper: Jumal was my go to, but Nimrook is very good too! 

Also, I don't remember winning the first match in Luca against the Goers when I played this on the PS2, but did it the other night.  I never thought it was possible.  It was awesome and I didn't even use the Jecht Shot, lol. xD

• Like 1

I barely knew what I was doing, but I played the first Blitzball match last night as a part of the story, and I actually won 2-1. I did switch to manual A after a bit and noticed that switching your defense to what side the guy dribbling is on helps as well. Now I guess I have to find new players to recruit. 

Edited by MatCauthon
  • Like 1

I barely knew what I was doing, but I played the first Blitzball match last night as a part of the story, and I actually won 2-1. I did switch to manual A after a bit and noticed that switching your defense to what side the guy dribbling is on helps as well. Now I guess I have to find new players to recruit. 

Nice win!  

Brother is a must have once you're able to get him.  The other players are all good in their own ways and you'll just have to experiment with who you like the most.  Kyou and Ropp are beast defenders though :ninja:

• Like 1

Nice win!  

Brother is a must have once you're able to get him.  The other players are all good in their own ways and you'll just have to experiment with who you like the most.  Kyou and Ropp are beast defenders though :ninja:

I didn't mind blitzball... no where as awful as I'd heard. I mean the mechanics are obviously not very smooth, but it's basically just a numbers game from what I can tell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After you leave Luca for the first time you should re-enter the town (after the laughing cutscene) and sign:

* Wedge (in front of the main stadium gates)

* Zalitz (at Luca Theather)

* Jumal (on a bench in the courtyard in front of the cafee where you go look for Auron)

And then go get Ropp at Rin's travel agency on the Mi'ihen highroad.

You'll absolutely destroy almost any team. I'm constantly winning 6-0, 7-0. The only team that gave me a bit of problems so far were the Al'bhed.

Here's a really good team that I used all the time back on the PS2.

Strikers: Tidus and Eigaar(Brother at the lower levels works well, as does Wedge.)

Midfield: Brother (Linna works well too. Get her before you leave Macalania or you have to beat Dark Shiva to get her.)

Defence: Judda and Doram (Doram's kinda average though. I'd suggest getting someone like Lakkam instead.)

Brother levels up so quick you'll be glad you got him. At max level, he has 99 speed. No-one will be able to catch up to him.

Strikers: Wedge / Shaami

Midfield: Ropp

Defence: Judda/ Lakkam

This is the team that i played since ps2 (my record - 17-0)  :)

When I played this on PS2 this was my team (I never lost a game).

First, learn Jetch Shot for Tidus. It makes the game 10X easier to start off.

Towards the beginning of the game, you can sign some very good potential players.

In Luca, you can sign Wedge. Immediately replace Datto with wedge for the time being. Eventually, Wedge will become your center.

At the Chocobo Traveling agency (Inn), you can sign Ropp. His block is phenomenal to start off with and his attack has a lot of potential.

Jumal is an excellent starting goaling who is a free agent from the beginning and can be found at Luca Square docks. He comes with super goalie which is a HUGE advantage to start off with early in the game. However, he eventually becomes weak, but goalies are overrated in this game. As long as you have a good defense, the goalie will never even touch the ball. Plus, I usually go through goalies like new shoes. When I find a better pair, I switch them (as long as they know super goalie).

If you play 22 games before Kilika and Larbeight becomes a free agent. Sign his ass immediately! He is by far one of the besst Strikers in the game and at higher levels will have ridiculous shooting ability.

Once you are able to travel on the ship and Judda becomes a free agent, sign her! She has the one of the strongest if not the strongest attack in the game.

Here was my lineup:

Tidus

Larbeight

Wedge

Judda

Ropp

Miyu (up for change)

I once beat the Ronso Fangs 16-0. I promise the game gets easier with experience. The hardest part is winning at the beginning. Once you've got a well-trained team, you can't lose.