Best way to grind resources?

megslushboy

I've found that once you boost your advisors up a bit there is one that was well worth using the boost for. The one with the picture of the hand grenade, they give you (or me because I don't know if it's linked to levels) 15% in genmat from raids for 45 minutes for low cost of 400 blue (parts?) and 400 yellow (space concrete?) resources. With more genmat you it's easier to hit the tribute (+75 credits/red resources every 3,500 genmat) and level up your advisors (for every 5 level ups you can get the chimera to level up for 500 red and I think similar quantity of blue/yellow).

If you run a lot of raids you'll be swimming in blue and yellow resources due to the drops and the rewards for completing the 'track'. The raid difficulty doesn't seem to matter when progressing the track so I did the easy/medium difficulties for most raids as they were very quick and switch to the brutual difficulty for the champion raids for the boost to genmat across all advisors.

After I hit level 10 in a base I decided to try several bases open at once (without sinking all my resources into upgrading them). Without the numbers infront of me I can't say what the return in investment is but I felt it was worth it but I felt some yellow resources for a slow trickle of genmat (plus others when looking at skulls) with only some time invested in setting up the base and maintaining this - plus you're giving extra maps to the community :) I think if you're going to slowly chip away at the game this passive farm would be ideal.

I didn't really look at the other boosts too much, at a glance they didn't seem useful towards getting the platinum but some theorycrafter could look at these and determine if there is an optimal farming strategy.

I've only just unlocked my last resource related trophy (I need co-op for the platinum), it was a tough but I do love this game. Good luck :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StilRh said:

I've found that once you boost your advisors up a bit there is one that was well worth using the boost for. The one with the picture of the hand grenade, they give you (or me because I don't know if it's linked to levels) 15% in genmat from raids for 45 minutes for low cost of 400 blue (parts?) and 400 yellow (space concrete?) resources. With more genmat you it's easier to hit the tribute (+75 credits/red resources every 3,500 genmat) and level up your advisors (for every 5 level ups you can get the chimera to level up for 500 red and I think similar quantity of blue/yellow).

The duration of the boost is [3 minutes x advisor's level], so a level 15 advisor would give a 45 minute boost.

• Like 1

Ultimately I don’t think grinding resources is the best method for a game like this. It offers a big daily reward so I think playing just a bit every day will give you more for your time than trying to spend hours grinding once you’ve hit a point where you just need to buy stuff for trophies. It’ll take longer in terms of days where you play, but sessions and overall playtime will be shorter.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, liammill18 said:

Ultimately I don’t think grinding resources is the best method for a game like this. It offers a big daily reward so I think playing just a bit every day will give you more for your time than trying to spend hours grinding once you’ve hit a point where you just need to buy stuff for trophies. It’ll take longer in terms of days where you play, but sessions and overall playtime will be shorter.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing in the end. I'm getting rather bored running outposts that use the same 5 or 6 gimimcks. I'm hoping the daily boost and weekly Cell thing at the top of the screen in Sanctuary allow me to casually finish this up in the next few days / week. 

I'm just trying to figure out how people have platinum'd this game in the first few days? I realize that playing only Brutal levels, focusing on using only the aforementioned GenMat booster, and playing for hours and hours would likely result in finishing the game faster. But, sheesh. In three days? Was there an open Beta or something that allowed people to keep their progress?

11 minutes ago, megslushboy said:

I'm getting rather bored running outposts that use the same 5 or 6 gimimcks.

This is the problem when the game runs purely off of UGC and surges into popularity through PS+. Most people are not good level creators, most are quickly slapped together (my own levels are guilty of this too!) or are copy/pastes of something they've seen already. This is also enhanced by having very limited traps and mods out of the gate with it feeling a small grind just to simply get a couple more things to vary it up.

Most the levels I encounter on the higher difficulties is rooms filled with loads of enemy spam which I don't think they realise doesn't make it harder as most the time their friendly fire and any traps they've laid kill dozens of them off for me... If you spam 4 of those armored big boys in a corridor it may look scary but all I have to do is bait an attack and 3 of them will be dead xD

Cells and synthite were a pain, but the method I used was spamming dangerous rank outposts and speedrunning them. Most could be run through without much thought as they're just a a corridor into a mini killbox. Swapping my gun for a shield helped massively as any major traps could be avoided.

Looking at when I popped 'dress for success' and when I popped 'genetic engineering', I was able to grind roughly 3k cells in under 2 hours. 

It's a very boring strat, but putting a video or a podcast on helps get through the grind.

On 4/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, megslushboy said:

I'm constantly running out of the red and yellow resources. Is the best method just to keep playing levels? 

Keep raiding outposts until you can have 5 of your own active outposts active at all times. Make great outposts that gets lots of kills. I have 5 constantly active at this point. Every time I go back on to play I have over 100 combined kills and the levels and resources seem unlimited at this point. Then build more! 

• Like 1

I decided to go the lazy / boring route of loading up Brutal levels, grabbing the forbidden tomb loot, and leaving. Rinse and repeat until I get enough synthite I need for an item that day. 

And for cells, I play enough levels to get my daily bonus of Cells. Then I come back the next day. I'll just keep this up until I get enough resources I need for all the upgrade trophies. 

If you don't like building, just keep speed rushing Normal outposts. With the shield and grapple every round only takes you 1-2 mins. The only thing you need to pay attention is to keep changing the outpost category to make sure every advisor exp more or less the same. When you find all these advisor exp circles are about to fill, run the Dangerous or Brutal champion outposts to level them up to get an instant Chimera Level.

If you are using +15% boost, every 3 rounds of Normal outposts will give you 75 red resource and a champion outpost.

Edited by kloudmuka

Speedrunning brutal outposts with the 15% boost to get chimera levels is the quickest way I've found as I don't like building a big level to get lots of kills. If you level the hardware advisor a lot the boost can last for ages to make it more efficient. My boost currently lasts for 2 hours 51 minutes