How hard is this game

2 hours ago, Haikoooooooooo__ said:

How difficult is it for a beginner in fighting games? Because I heard it was accessible and you don't need to know how to do big combos but the guide says 9/10 so i need to know if i have a chance to do it.

Probably your biggest hurdles will be the final 3 Battle mode missions. Otherwise, it's just a big grind. It definitely helps to get decent at combos, especially when it comes to those last 3 Battles. 

Simply learning the game? 

Not hard at all, it's actually really fun. 

Getting the platinum? 

Battle mode is the reason it's a 9/10. 

Some of them are absolutely brutal and the various cheese methods that used to exist for them have long been patched out. 

If you're a beginner to fighting games you're gonna have a next to impossible chance of getting the plat. 

The game itself, I think, is one of the more accessible and starter-friendly fighting games, all NetherRealm titles are.

However don't confuse general gameplay with platinum difficulty. While the game itself is easy to learn the platinum is quite the opposite to earn. Like others said, the grind is long, there are 200+ missions you need to complete, and then there is battle mode. Battle mode is essentially the games arcade mode but with different rule sets. There is a battle mode where you can fight heroes only or villains only, a mode where you have to do a certain combo number to do damage, fighting 2 opponents each match each with their own health bars, and a mode where the enemy gains full health every 30 seconds if you do not end the match quick enough. Certain battle modes you aren't allow to continue if you die or even change the difficulty.

The 9/10 or 10/10 difficulty comes from the battle mode called Impossible. In this arcade mode you have to beat the whole Injustice roster using one character, on the hardest difficulty, no continues allowed, and ,of course, with one health bar that carries across all the battles. Like someone said patches have removed most cheeses but even with the current, and reverted patch, the cheeses aren't always guaranteed  to work and even won't work at all with some opponents. Is there a chance you can earn the plat? Of course, but if you're someone who isn't adept, or even an expert, at fighting games I would steer away from the plat. The game itself is decent though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Azure Kite said:

Simply learning the game? 

Not hard at all, it's actually really fun. 

Getting the platinum? 

Battle mode is the reason it's a 9/10. 

Some of them are absolutely brutal and the various cheese methods that used to exist for them have long been patched out. 

If you're a beginner to fighting games you're gonna have a next to impossible chance of getting the plat. 

If you own the game on disc. Cant you just do the cheese methods in the game without the patches? Just pause the update in downloads, No?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Titan said:

If you own the game on disc. Cant you just do the cheese methods in the game without the patches? Just pause the update in downloads, No?

Yeah I guess you could. 

But even with the cheese methods it's still not easy in the slightest. 

Back when I did it years ago the most common method was hawk girl. 

I wasn't having any luck with her. 

Switched to Solomon Grundy and had a much easier time. 

I played it for ages since release on Xbox 360 before switching to playstation. 

But it still takes alot of skill. 

6 hours ago, The Titan said:

AFAIK, that only works with the non-ultimate edition original release on the PS3 and Vita, because the PS4 Ultimate Edition has all the exploit fix patches hardcoded into it so downgrading is pointless :(.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Titan said:

As HuntingFever pointed, the Ultimate Edition already has the patches on-disc that void the exploits... 

It's a lot easier than you'd expect.

That's not to say it's a walk in the park but nothing particularly stands out except for the mindless level grind (which may be easier or faster now, I don't know what the current methods are).

Whilst I'd argue a lot of fighting game platinums are usually overblown anyway in terms of difficulty and most of the time they're rare because of what the trophy lists ask for versus how the fighting game demographic tend to play. Typically you have to put significant time in every mode with every character whilst fighting game players don't tend to put much time in side modes and have more focus on their mains/trying to 'git gud' etc. xD But, even compared to other games that share the fighting genre I wouldn't say this stands high on that list for difficulty .

Heck, I watched a video of a guy platinuming a fighting game that the guide gave a 5/10 (and he was complaining a bit about the 'too low rating') and all the time watching I was thinking... well... yeah I can kinda see where he's coming from because it looked and sounded noticeably more difficult than the likes of Injustice and... well... this seems to get 9s and 10s so it feels like at least one, if not both ratings are way off xD.

Outside of the level grind the main hurdle would be battle mode, specifically the one for basically doing your typical fighting game arcade run on the highest setting. The AI isn't particularly strict here and moreover the game has been around long enough for numerous cheeses for them if you're not against dipping into those. Whilst AI can be aggressive and they do defend fairly well on higher settings they don't combo that high if they catch you and they have so many openings in their defence compared to other fighters highest settings which'll block and parry a lot more of what you do. Also, performing higher damaging combos on your end (depending on character of course) are fairly lenient and simple compared to many other fighters. One noteworthy character that's often referenced will be Grundy who has one of the simplest high damage combos and 2 solid main ways to set it up easily. Personally I found Cyborg and Batgirl good choices but I think pretty much most are easy to have a solid enough combo with for novices to the genre. All you really need for the AI in this is remember a couple openers for one combo, if possible one of them working at range so you can make use of distance against certain characters.

The labs missions can feel a bit repetitive and tedious but there's nothing difficult there. Couple of the minigame ones are finicky and one could require a couple tries if you get bad RNG (it actually has unwinnable scenarios due to spawning what you need inside of obstacles) but otherwise it's simple stuff, just a lot of it.

I generally like the idea of trying to encourage more people to get the platinum. Heck, somewhat selfishly to stop it being represented within my rarest trophies/stop being my rarest platinum from being so inflated lol. I mean, one way would be to just have something rarer but I'm not a trophy hunter so I'm hardly going to bother seeking something rarer, I'll just hope the community knock it down eventually xD taking down its fairly misleading reputation should certainly help.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...