Making the leap to next-gen gaming consoles

Tragedy15

Earlier today I saw a post on Facebook that said Hotline Miami is coming to PlayStation 4. What happened after that is a rant that I felt like sharing with all of you lovely people on the PSNProfiles forums. Now if you're going to say tldr, I'll summarize it for you; I don't want any more PS3 ports on PS4. I want more exclusives like InFamous: Second Son which take advantage of all the capabilities and functions of the PlayStation 4.

I suggest you read my full rant so you know all of what I said rather than working off a minimal summary, but if you'd rather not read my opinion, that's your own choice and I won't bother to try and take that option away from you. Moving on, my question to all of you is, are you content with just getting a buttload of ports thrown at you, or would you rather have some more kick-ass exclusives like Second Son and Resogun?

Also, a bonus question just for the heck of it, what was the first video game you played and what was the first console that you owned?

I already platinum'd Hotline Miami on PS3. 
PS4 would just mean another pain in the ass platinum.

Forget trophies and all that though. I would honestly rather have Hotline Miami 2 come to PS4 and leave the original title on PS3/Vita. Make the move to next-gen consoles and show off the raw power of my new $400 machine. 

Sure, part of the reason I bought a PS4 is because I loved pretty much all of the PS3 exclusives I played (Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Sly Cooper, Shadow of the Colossus, InFamous, etc.) and I'm hoping PS4 will also get equal quality exclusives.

However, the problem is that Sony's next-gen console is honestly caught in a bit of a drought right now. To be fair though, I also feel like InFamous: Second Son marks the true beginning of next-gen gaming (for PlayStation at least). 

The game's graphics - facial structure, character models, scenery, etc. - felt remarkably next-generation and the gameplay did as well. You could see Delsin's face tremble in anger at certain times, and you could see his eyebrows move up in the slightest bit in such a way that just felt "next-gen" for lack of a better word.

Second Son makes use of the DS4's built-in speaker, light bar, built-in motion controls, touch pad, and of course the traditional buttons as well. This is what I want to see coming to PS4. I want more games that take full advantage of the capabilities of the PlayStation 4. 

Stop with the PlayStation 3 ports and give us some PlayStation 4 games. Resogun was and still is loads of fun. Second Son was a great deal of fun, though it was admittedly very short. 

I realize Destiny, The Order: 1886, The Division, and Watch Dogs are all upcoming games for the PlayStation 4, and I actually have them all pre-ordered already. But in the meantime while I wait for those AAA next-gen titles, I would like at least a simple game like Resogun to pass the time on my new console so it doesn't just gather dust.

I agree with the post. I love my Vita but when all it gets are PS3 ports and small indy games it gets a little irritating. Now don't get me wrong I like smaller games as well but they should compliment big releases, not replace them.

Now to the rant itself, the PS4 is only a couple of months old so he needs to remember that releases are coming, it would be stupid for Sony to put out 12 awesome titles at the beginning because all that would happen is they would compete with themselves and the popular titles would eat up all the potential sales of the other titles. That being said  I won't be so lenient in my stance this time next year as by then I expect a healthy library of fun and exciting games.

I agree with the post. I love my Vita but when all it gets are PS3 ports and small indy games it gets a little irritating. Now don't get me wrong I like smaller games as well but they should compliment big releases, not replace them.

Now to the rant itself, the PS4 is only a couple of months old so he needs to remember that releases are coming, it would be stupid for Sony to put out 12 awesome titles at the beginning because all that would happen is they would compete with themselves and the popular titles would eat up all the potential sales of the other titles. That being said  I won't be so lenient in my stance this time next year as by then I expect a healthy library of fun and exciting games.

I'm not asking for a ton of triple A releases all at once, but it would be nice to have another game released for PlayStation 4 that isn't just another ported PS3 game.

Hell, even a short game like Journey would be acceptable in my opinion. Just as long as it's something new. PS4 is supposed to be for the gamer, right? I seem to recall something like that being said and I also seem to recall something being said about it basically being heaven for indie devs. Where are these indie games though? I haven't heard any rumors of upcoming indie games for PS4. I realize it's very early on in the console's life, but I personally would have expected to hear at least a couple rumors of upcoming indie games by now. I will agree with what you said about PS4 having a healthy library by this time next year though. I'm about 90% sure the PS4's library will fill up with fantastic games by the end of 2014.

Well that's why I never buy consoles at launch. It takes a long time for them to build a nice library. Them bringing PS3 games over to PS4 is just so people have something to play until the next big release. That isn't how it should be done, but that is how it's being done.

I have a feeling both current gen consoles were rushed. Sony and Microsoft wanted to put a new console out, but only a few developers were ready to deliver on the games (hence the many delays). They should've waited until a bunch of different devs had new games ready before releasing a new console.

Oh well, every console launch is bad. You just have to stick with the PS3 ports for a few more months.

• Like 1

Honestly I'd say you're overreacting a bit much. First, EVERY console launch is slow, expecting it to be otherwise is foolish given it's pretty much been that way for over 30 years. Second, you make it sound like you think you're going to be forced to play the game when it's released on the PS4 (your first 2 sentences), which obviously is not true. Third, and this is one of the biggest problems with people today, just because you don't want something or don't like something doesn't mean everyone else feels that way too or should feel that way too, i.e. that dumbass Phil Fish saying Japanese games suck like it's a fact when it's just his opinion. Different people have different tastes. I have no interest in FPS games but I don't go off on a rant every time one gets released.

People will find something to complain about no matter what. It'll either be not enough games or what games are being released on it, in your case. It's a business plain and simple. The more games that are on it the more people are willing to take the plunge and get it. Just because it's apparently not a game you'd want on the PS4 doesn't mean a rant is warranted.

• Like 1

I have a feeling both current gen consoles were rushed. 

I disagree with that. If I recall correctly, the 7th console generation was the longest one by a fairly significant margin so Sony and Microsoft had plenty of time to make sure their consoles were ready. The argument could be made that Microsoft was rushed to get the Xbone out because of the PS4 announcement but I don't think a lack of games means a console was rushed. 

To the OP, yeah, I'd love some PS4 exclusive titles but I really don't think a studio porting a game to the system is really preventing them from working on a sequel. I'd much rather have a multitude of titles to play on my PS4, even if some of them are ports, instead of pretty much nothing. More games is never a bad thing.

I would like to thank you though, good sir. I appreciate the fact that you expressed an opinion without disrespecting the developer or anyone else in the process. All to often we see butthurt gamers take to the internet and make ridiculous threats because they don't like whatever bit of video game news they heard and they make us all look like idiots. It is nice to see someone being respectful to the people that are bringing us these awesome games. So again, thank you. 

Parker

• Like 1

I disagree with that. If I recall correctly, the 7th console generation was the longest one by a fairly significant margin so Sony and Microsoft had plenty of time to make sure their consoles were ready. The argument could be made that Microsoft was rushed to get the Xbone out because of the PS4 announcement but I don't think a lack of games means a console was rushed. 

Parker

Good point. It doesn't seem like it's already been 7 years with PS3 and 360. It just feels like, to me, they could've gone another year maybe. I do agree that that Microsoft probably rushed to get the Xbox One out. I think Sony threw them off guard with the news of a PS4. It shows, especially when you see how much basic stuff was left out of Xbox One during launch. They've patched it in since then, but it's clear they weren't 100% ready.

Unfortunately, ports are way easier to make than new games, so we're going to be seeing a lot of ports for a very long time.
I would much rather see new games too. It's one of the biggest problems for the Vita, entirely too many ports and very few original games. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen to the PS4, but already the vast majority of PS4 games are ports, so it's not looking too good for the PS4 library.

I disagree with that. If I recall correctly, the 7th console generation was the longest one by a fairly significant margin

That's not really true, it was slightly longer, but not by any significant margin. The PS2 was released in 2000, and the PS3 was released in 2006, making a 6 year gap. While the PS4 was released in 2013, making a 7 year gap. The PS2 was actually the longest running console to date. It wasn't discontinued until 2013.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 1

I'll be getting a ps4 later this year or early next year... been strapped for cash lately... I also have plenty of ps3 games to get to.... There's a few games I'd get the ps4 for, like The Order, Infamous: Second Son, the new Assassin's Creed that next gen exclusive... but that's still not enough exclusives to drop 400 bucks plus tax... and I have yet to get into Ps Plus either... so another 60 bucks there.... but I dunno... I'll just wait and see if anything else is announced this year.