Sony's PS4 racing game Driveclub loses its director.

IntenseFATE98

PlayStation 4-exclusive racing game Driveclub will move forward without its game director. Col Rodgers confirmed to Videogamer that he left Evolution Studios and the Sony family entirely in February to form an indie startup called Big Red Switch Games.

Rodgers said his exit from Evolution Studios was not tied to the recent wave of layoffs that affected the company, but was rather an entirely personal decision. He says he remains on good terms with Sony and that Driveclub's development is unaffected by his departure.

Driveclub was originally intended as a PS4 launch title, though Sony would later delay the game to a release in spring 2014. Earlier this month, Sony said the game had gone "back to the drawing board."

Sony president of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida told GameSpot at GDC last week that Evolution Studios had experimented with Project Morpheus support for Driveclub. However, the studio couldn't get it right and Yoshida made clear that the company's experimentation with a virtual reality mode is not why the game was delayed.

Rodgers is not the only high-ranking PS4 developer to leave Sony recently. Earlier this month, Infamous: Second Son lead designer Jaime Griesemer quit Sucker Punch Productions.

Source : Gamespot

I wonder what's happening with Sony and Microsoft right now :huh: Lots of people have quit their jobs lately. I'm completely losing interest in Driveclub now.

I wonder how much recent indie studio successes play into some of these types of movements.  Couple that with Sony's commitment to indie developers and I'm not surprised to see folks leaving the big studios to go independent.

That said, not sure if this bodes well for Driveclub.

Edited by dontwaketheKIDS

Crikey - this game is starting to seem like it's really in trouble!

It seems like only yesterday that this appeared to be the best bet for a launch game to get on PS4, and now every bit of info that comes out seems to be worse and worse....

anyone want to take odds on it beating The Last Guardian to market?

Lots of directors nowadays leaving their places to join other developers... This month, a writer and director who were working on 'Uncharted 4' have left their place and left Naughty Dog. Hmmm, I'm kinda getting worried on how most news I'm hearing this month are about people leaving their place to join off with other developers...