Best way to tackle the game and all the DLC?

muddybloke

I've completed the main game and got platinum a while back - now looking to tackle the DLC (since ive seen you can finally skip those long ol cutscenes). Is there a recommended order to tackle all the extra DLC trophies? - And which is paid for etc. Can anyway suggest a rough plan of action? - I was following the threads before but there's so many extra stuff being added I'm a bit lost. Maybe include suggested order for main game as well for anyone who hasn't started at all? and maybe how they compared in difficulty - thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hi,

I would complete the DLC on order of appearance

This way you get to master the game on new game plus, then hardcore mode, hardcore new game plus

And when its time to tackle ''CONTAGION'' without dying you will be very much a pro and you will know how to manage resource and skip some battle areas of the game in order to complete chapters faster so you reach that desired save point (remember to use save scum when playing contagion).

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, BlackTorito said:

So what is the approach with the Final DLC now?

Final Transmission is a seperate thing. You can choose it from main menu and either start with a new general save with some standard loadout or continue with everything you have from a save from the main story. It doesn't look like you have to play through the story either but this I cannot confirm as I have already completed the game, but I highly recommend playing through the main game first as this is a direct continuation of the story.

Bit of a shame, but you get like an extra 20k in the DLC but you can't continue from it afterwards into NG+.

You can use an existing save to go into the DLC though.

So the optimal pathing for the 100%, in theory (still need to test), would be:

Playthrough 1 - Maximum Security.

Playthrough 2 - Hardcore 100%.

Playthrough 3 - NG+ Hardcore 100%.

Part 4 - P3 into the DLC (maybe 2 x hardcores and the DLC will be enough for all upgrades??).

Playthrough 5 - Contagion Mode.

Part 6 - Riot Mode.

4 Playthroughs minimum hoping 2 x Hardcore + DLC is enough for upgrades, otherwise means doing a NG+ from the Maximum Survivor and then the DLC from there. After that, just Riot Mode.

Unfortunately no unlockable weapons from the DLC to use in the main game ;(.

I was thinking maybe you can avoid max upgrading the Stun Baton as it gets removed in the DLC, will save some cash. Though needs some testing of course to confirm.

After a 90% NG and 100% DLC, I need a further 8000k from a NG+ to max upgrade everything assuming the stun baton can be skipped.

EDIT:

I think the Stun Baton max upgrade can potentially be skipped as playing and observing a bit more, I noticed that weapon is completely removed from the reforge terminal, unlike others which have a ? until obtained.

Hopefully if it works, skipping Stun Baton upgrades along with the extra DLC money will make up for the money 2 x Hardcore playthroughs would loose you.

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Bit of a shame, but you get like an extra 20k in the DLC but you can't continue from it afterwards into NG+.

You can use an existing save to go into the DLC though.

So the optimal pathing for the 100%, in theory (still need to test), would be:

Playthrough 1 - Maximum Security.

Playthrough 2 - Hardcore 100%.

Playthrough 3 - NG+ Hardcore 100%.

Part 4 - P3 into the DLC (maybe 2 x hardcores and the DLC will be enough for all upgrades??).

Playthrough 5 - Contagion Mode.

Part 6 - Riot Mode.

4 Playthroughs minimum hoping 2 x Hardcore + DLC is enough for upgrades, otherwise means doing a NG+ from the Maximum Survivor and then the DLC from there. After that, just Riot Mode.

Unfortunately no unlockable weapons from the DLC to use in the main game ;(.

I was thinking maybe you can avoid max upgrading the Stun Baton as it gets removed in the DLC, will save some cash. Though needs some testing of course to confirm.

After a 90% NG and 100% DLC, I need a further 8000k from a NG+ to max upgrade everything assuming the stun baton can be skipped.

EDIT:

I think the Stun Baton max upgrade can potentially be skipped as playing and observing a bit more, I noticed that weapon is completely removed from the reforge terminal, unlike others which have a ? until obtained.

Hopefully if it works, skipping Stun Baton upgrades along with the extra DLC money will make up for the money 2 x Hardcore playthroughs would loose you.

Maybe a silly question, but you do know that trophy for all upgrades can be earned in normal mode, yes? And you do not have to unlock all upgrades in hardcore for the trophy. 

30 minutes ago, TsurugiFenrir said:

Maybe a silly question, but you do know that trophy for all upgrades can be earned in normal mode, yes? And you do not have to unlock all upgrades in hardcore for the trophy. 

It's just a matter of an optimal perspective, as opposed to doing extra playthroughs that may not be required if planned to fine detail, thus saving hours ;)

NG+ Hardcore pops the other NG+ trophy, so the Hardcore NG+ saves doing a Normal NG+, but the problem comes from getting enough Credits to buy all the upgrades. 

Can it be done with 2 x Hardcores + 1 DLC which MUST be done no matter what.....??

But if it's not possible, that means a Normal NG+ on top, basically an additional playthrough which i'm hoping can be avoided.....

Perhaps you may know and can share some info???

This is only what i've read, i'm currently testing everything for me own eyes, but a lot of players believe it takes 2+ playthroughs to get enough Credits...

Edited by Optinooby

@Optinooby I would rather play through the game on easiest difficulty ng+, killing everything, selling almost everything than doing slow and tedious Hardcore multiple playtroughs where everything is worth half or 1/3 of the original price. And as soon as I hit the trophy immidiately switch to another game mode. Overall, it may be faster. 

Simply because Hardcore is tough so no need to build frustration over particulary difficult section. 

Maybe I can help with the guide. I can do some playtrough testing. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TsurugiFenrir said:

@Optinooby I would rather play through the game on easiest difficulty ng+, killing everything, selling almost everything than doing slow and tedious Hardcore multiple playtroughs where everything is worth half or 1/3 of the original price. And as soon as I hit the trophy immidiately switch to another game mode. Overall, it may be faster. 

Simply because Hardcore is tough so no need to build frustration over particulary difficult section. 

Maybe I can help with the guide. I can do some playtrough testing. 

I torn between both atm, the pros of the Easy NG+ as you say and the Pros of Hardcore NG. You must do Hardcore anyway so you can't avoid that frustration and 100% hardcore will make it easier.

You have to do multiple playthroughs of hardcore (2) unless there is a trick I dont know off???

I actually going to completely 100% Maximum NG to see exactly what we have CC wise, then I also need to check if the trophy can pop on DLC without upgrading Stun Baton as that will save 10k plus.

And because I have to do Hardcore anyway, I will naturally test that as well.

Thing with hardcore is I dont think 2 playthroughs will even be enough so I think the option you mention maybe quicker anyway. 

I played Hardcore for a few hours yesterday observing things and enemies seem to have a 1/3 chance to drop loot, not 100% like Max Survivor and get half the Max surv amount and everything sells for half. So 2 Hardcore playthroughs is likely the equivalent of 1 normal mode playthrough resource wise.

I thank you but I will be testing everything myself while routing anyway, I need to write a google text guide alongside my routing anyway. It's just good to throw ideas around as I sometimes miss things.

One thing which is pretty straightforward and anyone can test quite easily, assuming they are at that point, is whether the All Upgrades trophy will pop on Final Transmission without upgrading the Stun Baton fully if you wait until its removed..... This may mean leaving a single upgrade though until its removed and then unlocking that final upgrade....

Edited by Optinooby

That's why I suggest doing easy ng speedrun and then slowly doing Hardcore without worrying too much about credits for the secondary upgrades.

Personalnych I think it will be easier to do just two necessary playtroughs on hardcore and leave any further. Especially If the player is selling everything worthless and collecting all available items then he should be able to get some nice upgrades. There is also the small thing with Contraband Pack, extra 800 credits for PlayStation owners. From Day One edition. Extra few upgrades or one big. 

You can always present two options with your guide and let people decide whether they want the easy or hard way ?

15 minutes ago, TsurugiFenrir said:

That's why I suggest doing easy ng speedrun and then slowly doing Hardcore without worrying too much about credits for the secondary upgrades.

Personalnych I think it will be easier to do just two necessary playtroughs on hardcore and leave any further. Especially If the player is selling everything worthless and collecting all available items then he should be able to get some nice upgrades. There is also the small thing with Contraband Pack, extra 800 credits for PlayStation owners. From Day One edition. Extra few upgrades or one big. 

You can always present two options with your guide and let people decide whether they want the easy or hard way 1f642.png

I did a 100% Max Surv playthrough yesterday along with the Final Transmission and I was literally 5000cc away from max upgrading everything.

You still have to upgrade Stun Baton in DLC as well unfortunately, cant skip that ;(

I cant believe I read a lot of posts saying its almost impossible to upgrade everything in 2 playthroughs when I've almost done it in 1 + DLC. Bear in mind I killed almost everything, collected almost everything and purchased 0 ammo or health injectors.

I think the way I do upgrades will be just a Max Surv (which is required) speedrun and then an easy NG+ speedrun followed by the DLC.

The good news is that i've now learnt you don't have to religiously grab everything to max upgrade in 2 playthroughs + DLC, so I can more comfortably speedrun everything ;)

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

I did a 100% Max Surv playthrough yesterday along with the Final Transmission and I was literally 5000cc away from max upgrading everything.

You still have to upgrade Stun Baton in DLC as well unfortunately, cant skip that ;(

I cant believe I read a lot of posts saying its almost impossible to upgrade everything in 2 playthroughs when I've almost done it in 1 + DLC. Bear in mind I killed almost everything, collected almost everything and purchased 0 ammo or health injectors.

I think the way I do upgrades will be just a Max Surv (which is required) speedrun and then an easy NG+ speedrun followed by the DLC.

The good news is that i've now learnt you don't have to religiously grab everything to max upgrade in 2 playthroughs + DLC, so I can more comfortably speedrun everything ;)

Great news. And people didn't believe me when I wrote that I upgraded everything in second playtrough. Looking forward for your guide ?

• Like 1

For the record with the All Upgrades trophy, I did a 90% Maximum Security playthrough followed by a 70% Minimum Security playthrough which was enough to upgrade everything AND have 6000cc left over + 2 Contraband packs.

For those posts that believe it can't be done in 2, I guess some players just are not quite as resourceful as they think they are

Edited by Optinooby

47 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

For the record with the All Upgrades trophy, I did a 90% Maximum Security playthrough followed by a 70% Minimum Security playthrough which was enough to upgrade everything AND have 6000cc left over + 2 Contraband packs.

For those posts that believe it can't be done in 2, I guess some players just are not quite as resourceful as they think they are

Yeah, I got the all upgrades trophy during my max security NG+ run, having played NG on max security when the game came out. I think it was relatively close to the end though, but I imagine if you did NG+ on an easier difficulty, it'd be no problem.

I doubt you can reach all upgrades during an HC+ run though. I'm a person who obsessively loots pretty much everything and I'm pretty sure I got nowhere close to upgrading everything on HC+.  I think I had the baton, glove, hand cannon and riot gun pretty much fully upgraded but had not even touched the other guns. That difficulty is just misery in terms of loot.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

Yeah, I got the all upgrades trophy during my max security NG+ run, having played NG on max security when the game came out. I think it was relatively close to the end though, but I imagine if you did NG+ on an easier difficulty, it'd be no problem.

I doubt you can reach all upgrades during an HC+ run though. I'm a person who obsessively loots pretty much everything and I'm pretty sure I got nowhere close to upgrading everything on HC+.  I think I had the baton, glove, hand cannon and riot gun pretty much fully upgraded but had not even touched the other guns. That difficulty is just misery in terms of loot.

I think you're right with Hardcore, im not even going to try and max upgrade everything there.

In Normal Mode, the loot and CC from enemies, selling ammo and health injectors adds up to a lot. But in hardcore mode, you lose all of this income as well, because enemies hardly never drop anything, so much loot lost.

And the fact your GRP dies so quick on hardcore upsets a lot of my strategies. Hardcore mode almost forces you to melee more ;(

• 3 weeks later...
So here's the path I have taken so far...

Playthrough 1 - Played on 'Medium Security' and just enjoyed the game.
- I just checked at the end of each chapter i'd not missed any of the collectables
- I did this a while back so managed to cheese the Max Security difficulty trophy at the end quickly too - on PS5 disc version - by not installing any updates
- Platinum done

Playthrough 2 - Started a NG+ on 'Minimum Security' using my original 'Medium Security' save.
- Used this playthrough mainly to get the 'Armed to the Teeth Trophy' and get back into the game
- I pretty much sold everything I could along the way to upgrade the weapons. - By the end I only needed 1 upgrade worth 2700 credits
- Got the basic NG+ mode trophy 

Part 3 - Played the new story 'Final Transmission' DLC using a 'Medium Security' save
- Got the 1 upgrade i needed to max out all weapons and got 'Armed to the teeth' trophy at the first upgrade station.
- Completed all Final Transmission trophies. (had to do quick replay on easy for an hour to get 'This isn't about escape' trophy which i missed. No hassle really)

So next up...

Playthrough 4 - Playthrough on Hardcore Mode
- Mainly using the baton and GRP
- Not sure it to leave credits to upgrade the starting pistol and shotgun for the final boss or to use the Assault Rifle yet

Playthrough 5 - Playthrough on NG+ Hardcore Mode
Playthrough 6 - Playthrough on Contagion Mode

Part 7 - Riot Mode

Hopefully it won't be too difficult and I just give up ;-)

Edited by muddybloke

• 2 weeks later...
Updated playthroughs...

Playthrough 1 - Played on 'Medium Security' and just enjoyed the game.
- I just checked at the end of each chapter i'd not missed any of the collectables
- I did this a while back so managed to cheese the Max Security difficulty trophy at the end quickly too - on PS5 disc version - by not installing any updates
- Platinum done

Playthrough 2 - Started a NG+ on 'Minimum Security' using my original 'Medium Security' save.
- Used this playthrough mainly to get the 'Armed to the Teeth Trophy' and get back into the game
- I pretty much sold everything I could along the way to upgrade the weapons. - By the end I only needed 1 upgrade worth 2700 credits
- Got the basic NG+ mode trophy 

Part 3 - Played the new story 'Final Transmission' DLC using a 'Medium Security' save
- Got the 1 upgrade i needed to max out all weapons and got 'Armed to the teeth' trophy at the first upgrade station.
- Completed all Final Transmission trophies. (had to do quick replay on easy for an hour to get 'This isn't about escape' trophy which i missed. No hassle really)

Playthrough 4 - Playthrough on Hardcore Mode
- Mainly using the baton and GRP
- Just used the first pistol for the final boss was fine.

Playthrough 5 - Playthrough on NG+ Hardcore Mode
- Rushed through and skipped bits I previously did for pick-ups. Was a breeze compared

Playthrough 6 - Playthrough on Contagion Mode
- Turned off auto-sync.
- Backed up to psplus cloud after each chapter
- 'Chapter 4 - Habitat' was the only real chapter than really was a pain due to being overlong and that ruddy fan section instantly killing.
- Got both trophies in 1 go

Part 7 - Riot Mode
- Just this left now - should be easy compared with all the above.

Good Luck!

• Like 2