Is this game region locked?

So here's my story. I've already completed 3/4 stacks for this game and ordered a PS3 JP disc a while go. Upon receiving it, I tried to boot it on my PS3 but it kept giving me error 80010514. I tried it on my other ps3 and it was the same issue. I've tried to clean it countless times even though it wasn't scratched or dirty at all. Both ps3s load other discs just fine.

After a while, I messaged the seller and got him to send me another disc as I assumed the first disc had a defect. I've just tried the new disc today and the same is happening on both PS3s...

Wtf is wrong with this game ? Anyone knows if there's anything particular about it? It's too much of  coincidence I would receive 2 pristine discs that can't boot on 2 of my PS3s. Googling that error code just says my disc lens is dead but as I said both PS3s load all other discs without any issue. I can also see some US players on the leaderboard. Do I have to order a JP ps3 or what :facepalm:

Edited by Thropy_Croissant

5 minutes ago, Thropy_Croissant said:

So here's my story. I've already completed 3/4 stacks for this game and ordered a PS3 JP disc a while go. Upon receiving it, I tried to boot it on my PS3 but it kept giving me error 80010514. I tried it on my other ps3 and it was the same issue. I've tried to clean it countless times even though it wasn't scratched or dirty at all. Both ps3s load other discs just fine.

After a while, I messaged the seller and got him to send me another disc as I assumed the first disc had a defect. I've just tried the new disc today and the same is happening on both PS3s...

Wtf is wrong with this game ? Anyone knows if there's anything particular about it? It's too much of  coincidence I would receive 2 pristine discs that can't boot on 2 of my PS3s. Googling that error code just says my disc lens is dead but as I said both PS3s load all other discs without any issue. I can also see some US players on the leaderboard. Do I have to order a JP ps3 or what :facepalm:

While I haven't added any trophies from the game on my account, I do own the game and it starts without issue on quite a few of my EU PS3s.

12 minutes ago, grifteskymfning said:

While I haven't added any trophies from the game on my account, I do own the game and it starts without issue on quite a few of my EU PS3s.

A physical Japan PS3 copy right? My ps3s load dozens of games without issues. It's always only this one game, across 2 different discs that have no apparent defect and 2 different ps3s.

I've tried playing offline or online. There is no game data or save data for me to delete. I don't know what to do anymore... Apparently there's only a single PS3 region locked game in existence too so this shouldn't be the cse but clearly something is wrong here..

There is only 1 region locked PS3 game and that's one of the Persona titles, all others are region free. It sounds to me like either the laser is dirty/faulty/starting to die or this one of the rare Dual Sided discs that certain PS3s have a lot of problems reading. I recommend trying the database repair options in Safe Mode in case there are bad sectors on your Hard Drive, along with opening up your PS3 to give it and the laser a thorough clean.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

2 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

There is only 1 region locked PS3 game and that's one of the Persona titles, all others are region free. It sounds to me like either the laser is faulty or this one of the rare Dual Sided discs that certain PS3s have a lot of problems reading.

Could you develop on that last bit? I don't think it's the PS3s as they both work fine for everything else. I would assume there's something wrong with the discs. Any known fix for that issue you're describing? 

6 minutes ago, Thropy_Croissant said:

Could you develop on that last bit? I don't think it's the PS3s as they both work fine for everything else. I would assume there's something wrong with the discs. Any known fix for that issue you're describing? 

PS3 games come on either single sided or dual layer discs, depending on how many Gigs they take up on one but for some reason, the Dual Layer ones have major issues being read on certain PS3s because of differences in how the BD Drives are manufactured between models. Uncharted 3 is an infamous example of a Dual Layered game that refuses to work on some PS3s but putting your PS3 on its side, can sometimes help trick the system into reading the disc (this is a trick that goes back to the PS2 days when some of the early cheaply made discs wouldn't read for some reason). I would also open up your PS3 and give it and the laser a thorough clean in case dust is the problem but it could be this is an early sign the laser itself is dying.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

PS3 games come on either single sided or dual layer discs, depending on how many Gigs they take up on one but for some reason, the Dual Layer ones have major issues being read on certain PS3s because of differences in how the BD Drives are manufactured between models. Uncharted 3 is an infamous example of a Dual Layered game that refuses to work on some PS3s but putting your PS3 on its side, can sometimes help trick the system into reading the disc (this is a trick that goes back to the PS2 days when some of the early cheaply made discs wouldn't read for some reason). I would also open up your PS3 and give it and the laser a thorough clean in case dust is the problem but it could be this is an early sign the laser itself is dying.

Is there any way to identify if a disc is single or dual sided? I've tried to tilt it before and it would still not boot but I might give it another shot.

11 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

This thread is for films but it should apply to PS3 games as well: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=7990

I've checked a few of my games and it's the only one where it doesn't specify on the label side if its dual or single sided... There is only one barcode on the other side of the disc though so apparently it'd be a single sided disc.. I can plug a third PS3 and try both discs but I already know how this is going to turn out.. ?

36 minutes ago, Thropy_Croissant said:

I've checked a few of my games and it's the only one where it doesn't specify on the label side if its dual or single sided... There is only one barcode on the other side of the disc though so apparently it'd be a single sided disc.. I can plug a third PS3 and try both discs but I already know how this is going to turn out.. 1f62d.png

Provided it's a completely different model PS3 to the other 2, the game should work ?.

4 minutes ago, Thropy_Croissant said:

Would it matter if it's  single sided disc? I think my 4 or 5 PS3s are all the same model :(. This game is cursed!

If it is single sided, then that theory just got blown out of the water and I'm out of ideas, beyond replacing the laser :(.

If memory serves me right, the game on PS3 is surprisingly small in relation to the content and load times are fast for a PS3 game but I couldn’t find a definite answer as to what disc type was used on the standard release or the The Best version. 

Dual layer PS3 games on your profile are Killzone 3, God of War 3 and supposedly also Uncharted 3. If you still own these but don’t currently have them installed, you could check with one of your unwilling PS3s if it properly (and preferably quickly, without sounding like clockwork gone bad) recognises those discs still. (If you haven’t already.)

There’s a bit of an old myth surrounding error 80010514 that if you log out of PSN and keep trying to launch the game over and over, the PS3 might (occasionally) end up recognising the disc after all. While it’s true that a laser on its last leg still often manages to recognise a disc if you were to just keep trying and there is some load when online and connected to PSN, it sounds like placebo sort of hotfix but at this rate. I couldn’t help but think back to this. 

• 9 months later...

Follow up regarding this. I have opened one of my consoles and cleaned the lens and it still wouldn't work a few months ago. I had given up on this cursed game at that point. I just talked to a friend today and they confirmed they had the SAME issue and had to buy 3 discs until they disc finally worked. The disc that ended up working was the red cover SPIKE THE BEST version. I will try to buy this specific version and hopefully it'll work for me too. There is definitely something wrong with this game

spacer.png

Edited by Thropy_Croissant
  • Like 3