Need help choosing correct edition for trophy hunting

JesseJazzy

Hi all

I was hoping someone could help me figure out which edition I should buy to complete some trophies on my list

I played Bioshock and Borderlands on psnow years ago and want to go back and finish them. The trophy list on my ps account says they are the ps3 versions. I have a ps3 to play them on, but the lists include dlc trophies as part of the platinum. For Borderlands, from what I understand, different editions have different trophy lists, so does this mean I would need to play the GOTY edition? For Bioshock I'm unsure, maybe the greatest hits version? Thanks in advance for any help!

51 minutes ago, JesseJazzy said:

Ok awesome!

I was reading that the og borderlands and the goty version have separate trophy lists, is that not the case?

No, all PS3 versions share a trophy list except for the Japanese release. I am not certain that the save files are interchangeable between the OG and GOTY versions however. 

@HuntingFever is the master of Borderlands knowledge so he may be able to definitively answer.

Edited by diskdocx

For bioshock if you can find the ultimate rapture edition it has both bioshock 1 and 2 with all dlcs on disc, thats the best option there. and yeah fir borderlands its all the same shared list no matter what edition but you could go for the borderlands triple pack as thats the only way to get pre sequel dlc on disc along with all the dlc for the first 2 games

• Like 2

1 hour ago, diskdocx said:

No, all PS3 versions share a trophy list except for the Japanese release. I am not certain that the save files are interchangeable between the OG and GOTY versions however. 

@HuntingFever is the master of Borderlands knowledge so he may be able to definitively answer.

I swear @HuntingFever is the Just A Guy With a Moustache of psnprofiles 

18 hours ago, diskdocx said:

You ran ?? Anywho, only the JP version has a separate list but you can move your saves between the various Western releases, provided you get them from the same country. Also note the JP version has its own servers but they're extremely dead so you will need to boost the viral trophy.

16 hours ago, Surgical_Assault said:

For bioshock if you can find the ultimate rapture edition it has both bioshock 1 and 2 with all dlcs on disc, thats the best option there. and yeah fir borderlands its all the same shared list no matter what edition but you could go for the borderlands triple pack as thats the only way to get pre sequel dlc on disc along with all the dlc for the first 2 games

This^

The URE is the best version of BS 1 and 2 so get that instead of the others. I had forgotten about the BL Triple Pack, that's the best version to get if you want to save money on all 3 games and their DLCs but do note you will still have to download the latest update for each game since that isn't included.

PS: Here's a link to my Complete Edition tracking thread, though do note it's a tad out of date because I haven't had a chance to update it for a while: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/297967-complete-edition-central/

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 9:01 PM, JesseJazzy said:

but the lists include dlc trophies as part of the platinum

Just as a note, even if the trophy list on PS3 makes it look like the DLC is needed for the plat, it does not. Old games sometimes simply didn't tag the DLC trophies with the DLC icon, or separate them into a sub-list. the plat will still unlock without them.

There are of course a couple exceptions to this, Eye of Judgment, Destiny, and the Japanese stack of Mamorukun Curse come to mind. But these exceptions are few and far between. As a general rule you never need DLC for a plat.

Edited by MrHealthy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MrHealthy said:

Just as a note, even if the trophy list on PS3 makes it look like the DLC is needed for the plat, it does not. Old games sometimes simply didn't tag the DLC trophies with the DLC icon, or separate them into a sub-list. the plat will still unlock without them.

There are of course a couple exceptions to this, Eye of Judgment, Destiny, and the Japanese stack of Mamorukun Curse come to mind. But these exceptions are few and far between. As a general rule you never need DLC for a plat.

This^

Sony didn't patch in DLC separation until 2-3 years after the trophy system was first introduced, which is why the DLCs for some older PS3 games are shown in the core list when they really shouldn't be.