Launch Reflections Thus Far

dontwaketheKIDS

Again, what do you expect at this point? You just said it would be crazy to get Assassin's Creed or Killzone, yet you're still saying you expected more. You mention DiveClub, good point, but you're still getting it free whenever it launches. Your wording leads me to believe that you expected even more things beyond DriveClub though so please, enlighten me as to what you and all these other people expected at this point.

And another thing "I agree that we ain't paid more but we haven't had more neither?" So Resogun (one of the PS4's highest rated games overall), Don't Starve, OUTLAST etc were all worthless in your opinion? Now that's just insulting.

My point is (so that we can finally understand each other  :awesome: ) that I think that Sony made the Ps+ at some time so that people will like the games 'given' and will come to great world of Playstation and I just think that now this strategy is over, Ps+ is the online requirement for Ps4 and I just feel a little sad that we won't be having games that will make jealous M$ gamers. 

Plus, we had 5 games every month on  the IGC before the Ps4 release, and that number didn't change after it release, so yeah we ain't paid more, but we actually didn't have more, (I wasn't talking about the games, which I found great, especially Outlast and Resogun)

PS: I've tried Mercenary Kings and... well... it's a game, and it's 'free' so why complain  ;)

Edited by Vivinho333

Big triple AAA games are going to take time to release, they take a lot of time to make and this is where indies come in, indies bring in games made by small teams with small prices and come out relatively frequent filling in gaps between AAA games, there is no middle studios anymore such as thq and midway so the like B games are more or less becoming rare or are just not being bought and so the indies take over their role. So far on the ps plus collection (mine starting from February) i've had outlast (LOVED that game) dead nation and now mercenary kings and im pretty happy with that, okay sure i was bored of dead nation years ago but i didnt complain or whine, it was free and to fill a gap so to speak. i've paid for a 3 month sub and i already save around £28 - £30 on games. The idea of ps plus IGC though was not to give games you really really really want, its both there for marketing in a sense (they released Assassin Creed 3 one month before black flag last year on ps3)  and to discover games you wouldnt have picked up or played otherwise and be pleasantly surprised (for me that was games like xcom: enemy unknown, far cry 3, stealth inc and more!) the whole ps plus situation isnt being complained by gamers at all. its the other demographics who play on the consoles. 

As for the ps4 itself? im happy with it, more than! however i cant help notice some features that probably should be there that are there on the ps3. but those features will be coming, i had the ps3 at launch and it took more than a few years for it to become such a great console it is now as well as an entertainment hub. The games will come as will the features. In the mean time? theres still games now such as black flag, battlefield, second son, shadow fall, outlast, rayman legends, tomb raider, steamworld dig, FEZ, injustice?
Watch dogs is on the way within a month, daylight is out this month! theres never been a better launch period that ive ever seen.  

• Like 1

I like my PS4. I knew there weren't going to be a lot of launch titles, but I don't mind it because it just lets me finish games I wanted to play on my PS3.

Only thing I don't like is the lack of support for external hard drives. I still enjoy playing NBA2k14 on my PS4 though. So much better than lastgen.

I wonder if this gen, in the age of Kickstarter and self publishing, will see a rise in the "middle of the road" games.  So rather than just having games which are either "indie" or full retail AAA releases, we see more games at around the $40-50 and £20-30 price point, made by mid-size firms, etc.  I can't imagine that the successful indies are just going to stay the same - some of them will re-invest their cash and grow.  Hopefully not too many will be snapped up by the worse of the major publishers but will stay independent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first ever day 1 console purchase (ok white lie, I got it in December so a few weeks after day one!) I too was unsure as to getting it so soon as the games I really wanted are still yet to be released. Having said that- WOW!!! 

I've played World of Warcraft for many years and so console gaming has been over looked since my PS2. (I had an Xbox 360 but it was basically a dvd player that had Rock Band when the mates came round.)

Coming back to the PS4 has turned me back into a 16 year old boy! Genuinely giddy over getting home to play. All those Trophies to be earned. Swearing at the TV as I die for the umpteenth time! Itching for the new title to be released!

Having a console this early on is so refreshing. Only having a few games to play gives me the time I need to actually sit and play through them. Getting free games from PS+ is spectacular regardless of what they are. So many people with different tastes, Sony can't please everyone. My first thoughts when Mercenary Kings was announced was also one of disappointment but having played it I'm thoroughly enjoying it! My only complaint about PS+ is that its expanding my library faster than I can play the games! Lol.

Like everyone has said already console launches are slow. I personally thought the PS4 had alot of games on launch, backed up by some sweet PSN games to boot. I only really wanted Killzone: Shadowfall, but we got Knack and Need for Speed Rivals too. Also got Lego Marvel cheap. Love all of them!  

There is nothing I dislike about my PS4. I love it with every fiber of my being. Now if only I could ship off the family for a week so I can get down to some serious gaming! 

Malfuras.png

• Like 1

I have enjoyed my first 6 or so months with my PS4. Resogun is the best game you can get for the system and it was free when the console first came out! Infamous: Second Son has been great.

I enjoy indie games so enjoying what's been out so far! Next AAA title I am getting is Watch_Dogs and that will keep me busy!

Thank god my ps4 model is dull otherwise I would get blind with so many reflections

Cheesus Christ, wtf people that complain, PS PLUS is somethingwe gamers have never seen, remind all of previous consoles launches, PS2 for example, did we receive free games back then, did we receive free game on?:

ps1, ps2, ps3, any other console in the world (nintendo, microsoft, sega, ETC)

PS4 is in fact the only console in the world to give free titles to its consumers, just think about it

• Like 2

Having a console this early on is so refreshing. Only having a few games to play gives me the time I need to actually sit and play through them. Getting free games from PS+ is spectacular regardless of what they are. So many people with different tastes, Sony can't please everyone. My first thoughts when Mercenary Kings was announced was also one of disappointment but having played it I'm thoroughly enjoying it! My only complaint about PS+ is that its expanding my library faster than I can play the games! Lol.

Like everyone has said already console launches are slow. I personally thought the PS4 had alot of games on launch, backed up by some sweet PSN games to boot. I only really wanted Killzone: Shadowfall, but we got Knack and Need for Speed Rivals too. Also got Lego Marvel cheap. Love all of them!  

There is nothing I dislike about my PS4. I love it with every fiber of my being. Now if only I could ship off the family for a week so I can get down to some serious gaming! 

Malfuras.png

I agree, i finally bought a PS4 the other day and it's so nice to already have a backlog of games. I held off buying one at launch because all i wanted was Watchdogs and Drive Club, but i can wait. Trials Fusion sealed the deal for me. I think my next purchase will be NFS Rivals as i'm looking forward to playing it again and comparing the gfx etc.

All in all; when you buy a next-gen console you have to have a bit of patience.

Edited by pandairo

I agree, i finally bought a PS4 the other day and it's so nice to already have a backlog of games. I held off buying one at launch because all i wanted was Watchdogs and Drive Club, but i can wait. Trials Fusion sealed the deal for me. I think my next purchase will be NFS Rivals as i'm looking forward to playing it again and comparing the gfx etc.

All in all; when you buy a next-gen console you have to have a bit of patience.

I blame the superb graphics of Need For Speed Rivals for why I keep crashing! Its so pretty i can't take it all in. Curse you civilian traffic getting in my way!

Malfuras.png

@leonardo - A lot of people do complain a lot, some needlessly and some do it all the time, even here.  Given you need PS+ to download those games, and face it, if you have to keep a paid membership going to keep playing those games you're just renting, However, this is actually incorrect  - "PS4 is in fact the only console in the world to give free titles to its consumers". Did you forget about the PS3 so quickly? lol.

In general - Seriously though neither system really gives you free games. Xbox requires Gold to download them but then you get to keep them even if you don't have Gold, which is a plus for them regardless if any Sony fan cares to admit it or not. However, unless you have a bunch of free trials saved up then there's a cost for Gold. PS on the other hand requires PS+ to download the games and to even play them, so again, there's a cost there. Clearly neither one is truly free. Each side just has a lot of people who refuse to consider all the facts and blindly claim one or the other is better.

I know people have complained about the PS4 PS+ offerings but again, the system is new so what do you expect? Try having a little patience and things will probably get better for you. Or you'll at least be not quite as grumpy.

Anyways, as I've said before, both systems are great and will continue to be great. Both systems also have a lot to work on and I know they'll continue working on those areas. It would be incredibly idiotic of me, or anyone else, to think that how the systems are now is how it's going to be for the rest of this generation and act like either side is just completely giving up on their system.

And again, anyone complaining about a lack of games this soon after release are fools. They're probably the same people that would complain about 360/PS3 ports to Xbox One/PS4. No options they'll complain, more options but not the ones they want, they'll still complain. They should grow up and learn that the world doesn't revolve around them.

Edited by BooneJusticius
  • Like 1

£50 for a year of PS+ will give us 12 free games. Considering Resogun and Outlast were bloody fantastic I feel like I've got my money's worth already! Can't say I'm looking forward to the next offering of Stick it to the Man but then it could turn out to be as enjoyable as Mercenary Kings.

Malfuras.png

I don't know if people remember the beginning of the last generation, but the first truly "next gen" experience was Gears of War for the 360. And that was almost one year after VG launch. I believe that for the PS3 was MGS4, again, around one year after. There's less and less people making AAA games, so there's less of those ground breaking releases recently.

My problem isn't lack of games on the PS4, but the fact that PS3 still gives you a lot of reasons to keep coming back. I want to retire that thing, but the PS+ games and some key titles (like Dark Souls 2) forced me back. As Michael Corleone said:

Licurgo

• Like 2

I was reading the US Playstation blog (as I often do) and had a chuckle at some of the complaints that were being posted about Mercenary Kings being offered as April's PS+ on PS4.

Complaints were generally along the lines of "I didn't buy a PS4 to play SNES games", "Graphics suck, PS4 is billed as the most powerful console there is and this is what we get?", "Where are the AAA titles?", or "So tired of Indie games".

To which I'm like, Do you even console launch, bro?  I thought it was fairly common knowledge that console launches start slow.  It takes time to get a steady pipeline of "AAA" titles, let alone exclusive "AAA" titles.  There's a certain amount investment of faith that early adopters make, it just seems like patience gets shorter with each console generation.

Anyway, was curious what folks thought about how Sony is fairing with the PS4 six months after launch.

My thoughts:

• The hardware itself speaks for itself and compares favorably with its competition.  The potential is there.
  • Sony hasn't done itself any favors with the DriveClub situation.  It's better to under-promise and over-deliver than it is to over-promise and under-deliver.  Watch Dogs delays has hurt maybe to a greater extent.
  • I think the PS4 library is incredibly diverse for so early on in it's lifespan, mostly attributable to the Indie push.
  • A crap ton of games are on the horizon!
  • Mixed reviews on PS3 ports to PS4.  I'm warming up to the idea, particularly for games I missed on PS3 or other platforms that are set for a PS4 release.
  • The UI is pretty, but needs some functionality updates.  And PS4 needs to play nicer with various media types.
  • Still waiting on the quintessential "system seller".
  • PS+ is still the best service on consoles.

Great time to be a gamer though!

Wow, excellent post and very well said mate!

I agree whole-heartedly with what you have said; people (particularly gamers) are getting pretty self-entitled as a whole these days. It's rather sad to see actually.

I've been thoroughly enjoyed EVERY free ps plus game on the PS4 so far (100% in all of them except Dead Nation, stupid co-op trophies haha), and they've really opened my eyes to even more of the Indie world (not that I didn't like Indie games before; it just allowed me to try new ones with no monetary 'risk' --> win!)

The main reason I bought a PS4 so early was for multiplayer over the past Christmas holidays (from uni) anyway; and I more than got my early-adopter value out of that alone. I love my console, and the graphical power is stunning. It can be hard to keep the glossy surface dust-free though :P Anyway, I'm excited for upcoming AAA titles (Witcher 3, Watch Dogs - even though it's not exclusive, The Order), but I'm happy to wait. I've got a massive backlog of PS3/360 games anyway, so it's kind of like I'm playing catch-up while I wait for the influx of new, great titles :D

On a side note, I REALLY nee to get inFAMOUS Second Son soon... I've heard good things. I should probably plat the first 2 first though  B)

ALSO, I still stand by my point that PS+ is fantastic value: MGR, Spec Ops: The Line, Dragon's Dogma, Jak and Daxter Trilogy, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider etc. all for FREE in the past few months. Excellent value in anyone's language. Even this month, I easily got my money's worth with Stick it to the Man (https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/15472-stick-it-to-the-man-definitely-worth-a-play/) and Puppeteer (so keen for this one!). Absolutely NO REASON for anyone to complain  :lol:

Edited by FluffyAssassin64
  • Like 1

very touchy subject here huh ?

tbh the launch lineup for both consoles are the best ive seen they're all great games to play and if you look hard enough you can pick them up cheaply, i got Killzone SF for £12 which was a bargain considering it shows off the power of the system in crisp detail.. the whole PS+ argument is pretty silly i mean you're complaining about a free game, i mean for example this month's game is stick it to the man now tbh not many people will go out of their way to buy this when they could shed a little extra on say InFamous.. it's a marketing scheme to help indie developers grow over time who's to say that the same studio that developed Mercenary Kings might not come back with a RPG that can outmatch the Dark Souls series right ?

• Like 1