Why does it feel like everyone except Konami care about Castlevania

Does it feel like Castlevania gets a bit disrespected by Konami? They haven't touched the franchise since 2014 with a proper mainline game. The indies have games similar to it and seem to care more than the IP parent company, at least that how it seems to me

Edited by Pariah_Dark

1 hour ago, Tomassi_8000 said:

Tbh, every konami franchise is disrespected in that regard

Yeah but Silent Hill and Metal Gear are getting new games and/or remakes. Even Contra had a new installment in 2019. Castlevania is nothing coming

1 hour ago, BEAST_IHMOTEP said:

Castlevania LoS 2 was an amazing game. I don’t know what press and critics got against it.

I agree.

I think because Kojima's name wasn't attached to part 2 that everyone dirted on it. Personally, I have a feeling if Kojima's name wasn't attached to the first game, it would have gotten the same reception. Yes, I'm implying something there lol

• Like 1

I have a love-hate relationship with Lords of Shadow 2, tbh. I was picking the game apart the entire time I played it because it often feels needlessly frustrating at times more than it feels legitimately and fairly challenging, and the more modern setting wasn't handled all that well imo. Yet, despite that, I couldn't put it down for some odd reason. lol

in regards to Konami not "caring" about Castlevania, I'd argue that the last few years of game compilations/collections (Anniversary, Advance, etc.) and the Netflix show(s) proves otherwise. Konami's clearly not willing to fully dip their own toes into the water when it comes to making much of anything themselves (at least as far as big, new games are concerned), so I don't think this is an issue with Castlevania specifically (it's seemingly been getting more attention than Metal Gear and Silent Hill from them up until recently, to be fair). I'd imagine that, with their attention now spreading out to Metal Gear and Silent Hill, they'll eventually take a swing at making games themselves again if the stuff they're putting out now continues to be successful. We'll just have to wait and see, though, of course.

Edited by Zephrese

But is it a bad thing? Let face it AAA doesn't really make gems very often anymore. We're lucky if it just good. Remember last year. When it was basically just elden ring and gow8.

They don't have any talented Devs anymore cuz they treated them like trash. Both customers and employees know this. So it would be hard to change it. Even if they wanted to. Konami doesn't care about the gaming just it bottom line.

Best thing to do is move on. It sucks. But others will take there place.

• 2 weeks later...

its about konami not being patient enough with the franchise and desperately wanting to bring the series to the 3d world.they would constantly change dev teams when numbers werent satisfying and the games would often unjustly be slammed by critics and generally not sell well  to the general public due to some odd marketing and console exclusivities.the lords of shadow games where done dirty by critics for being a god of war clone and not bein enough castlevania when in reallity konami laid the fondation for los in lament of innocence 3 years before the first god of war game. witch means god of war is more of a castlevania clone than the oposite.all in all its just a weird story of corporate green and weird management but the recent surge in cv popularity might bring us a new game sooner than later.

• Like 1

Konami just seems to be on a path of wanting to make the games that, "they want to make", rather then continue a trend they are known for, i.e., Castlevania. You can see both the good and bad here, but mostly as people on here have pointed out already, it has been rather bad, excluding some games back on the PS3 like: Lords of Shadow 1, MoF, and 2. While some people did not like the Mirrors of Fate (1.5) spin-off, I certainly did and even liked the second installment. Speaking of the second game, from what I can recall (as I played it on 360), the Castle sections were a blast and amazing to traverse, and even gave me chills as to what the intro main menu animation was foreshadowing as he, Gabriel (Dracul) was going through during that whole existence. 

All in all, it could be as simple as Konami does not want to cater to Castlevania anymore, which is fine, but again as mentioned by OP is what they are known for. Castlevania is not technically going anywhere and will come back when Konami wants it to come back unless someone else buys the IP and redos the series; plus, to be frank, they released ports of previous games, but NOT one including Portrait of Ruin - the monsters. Maybe one day, maybe not. Shame otherwise.

• Like 1