How important is the modern day story prior to mirage?

UlvenFenrir

I haven't played ac since origins and I don't remember the modern story to be all that great. I really liked Desmond's story arc but after origins I simply lost interest in the ac lore, the ac games and the modern day segments.

I've been thinking if I should start over from ac1 all the way up to mirage or not and wanted to hear if it's worth it or simply start from where I essentially left off and start with ac Odyssey instead?

In my opinion,  desmond's arc was interesting enough in the first original games, like ac1, 2 and brotherhood, but quickly after that starts to feel like filler and doesn't bring anything to the game except pulling you out of the action.

Definitely the case in the last 'rpg' ac games, it brings very little to the table.

I wouldn't bother replaying them just for that, but more enjoy the game itself in when you're in the animus. You can easily search Desmonds arc on YouTube if you're really interested,  but not worth a whole playthrough of all.

Just my 2 cents...

2 minutes ago, colia100 said:

In my opinion,  desmond's arc was interesting enough in the first original games, like ac1, 2 and brotherhood, but quickly after that starts to feel like filler and doesn't bring anything to the game except pulling you out of the action.

Definitely the case in the last 'rpg' ac games, it brings very little to the table.

I wouldn't bother replaying them just for that, but more enjoy the game itself in when you're in the animus. You can easily search Desmonds arc on YouTube if you're really interested,  but not worth a whole playthrough of all.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks I appreciate it. I might just enjoy the games as you say and the story of those specific characters instead of worrying about the modern day stuff. Makes sense and I wasn't too keen on playing through every single game again just to catch up.

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

I can't speak to Valhalla, but I've found the modern story to be kind of stupid all around. They certainly didn't improve in Origins or Odyssey (in fact, in Odyssey, the modern story might be the dumbest of all of them).

I kinda felt after Desmond that Ubisoft started not to care all that much. I vaguely remember black flag to be kind of weird with the modern day and the whole random character that you control in first person if I'm not mistaken.

The modern day story arc is pretty much entirely non-existent in Mirage and Valhalla too for the most part. 

Odyssey was really the last AC game that bothered to tie in the modern day story with the Atlantis DLC and even that felt like a huge stretch to do it just to have some excuse to tie in the modern day arc. The overall arc is so convoluted that I don't think anybody, including Ubisoft, could make any sense of it at this point anyway. 

The overall story in AC doesn't really matter anymore and hasn't for quite some time tbh. Nobody's really playing AC for its main story, it's now more about just the individual stories with each character now. 

• Like 2

Modern day story died with Assassin's Creed 3.

The Desmond shit was pretty unique and interesting but it's a nightmare trying to connect all the dots post 3 unless I'm just dumb. I like what they did at the end of Valhalla but I reckon Ubisoft needs to reboot or just ditch the modern day story all together. Mirage has no modern story and it was SOOO nice to just focus on the historical murder simulator. I still break out in a cold sweat when I think of the unskippable cutscenes of Syndicate and Unity....