Nungus Among Us

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to get back into this soon, dunno when since I still need to move my setup into my new house but hopefully that will be very soon.

This game is a bit of a drag solo so I'll be looking for a group or some others to help me or just to shoot the shit (bugs) with.

I'm close to platinum it's on the tip of my tounge.

• 1 month later...

Will be doing a boost/fun session tomorrow (Fri the 7th) at 5pm central (see gaming session section). Looking to work some on the survival mode. If you would like to join in, feel free to send me a FR via PSN.

Would have loved to join you but I don't get the internet setup until the 10th, maybe we can do some in the future.

I'll be back home around the 29th or so...of course new year's eve will be out, but I'll be up for some gaming goodness then.

I'll add you when I get internet sorted, then we can set something up.

I have all characters maxed out and all weapons loadouts... if you need a nuke sniper just let me know... im trying to finish out some games before the end of the year but i could still probably do a session or two

Bitch! :P I go away for a few weeks and this is what I find, you already have the plat, congrats man.

I still need Survival mode trophies, all weapons, armour levelled up and spiders/ships trophies, it's a bit of a drag going lonesome.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It was fun playing through the game the three times it took to beat it on each difficulty level, and I did play some rounds with a couple of buddies, but without someone to play it with after a while it got really boring. I found ways to AFK grind most of the stuff in the game.

The easiest way is to equip some rocket launcher that auto fires (not manual lock-on), select first level, get to the second ant hill part, go back through the park to near where you started out at, find a good position where you can simply hold down the fire button to shoot rockets at the ants over near the ant hill at the other side of the park and tape the fire button (R2) down. The annoying part is of course that there is a 65k limit to how much you can gain of points per run of a level. I recommend you have with your buddies to heal you if you die, even if they can be annoying when they run in front of you sometimes etc. The higher the difficulty, the faster you gain the points, and since it's the first level and you only fight very easy enemies, you can play at rather high difficulty levels on rather low levels. It usually takes anywhere from between 15 minutes to a hour and a half depending on difficulty level, your weapons damage output and how well you hit the enemies etc.

If I remember correctly, you need to do this 13 times to max a character, so that's 52 times to max all 4 of the characters. You also get the 10k ant kill many times over for doing this. You of course don't need to do this for all the characters, as one will most likely naturally get maxed out from beating the game on all 3 difficulty levels. Still, this is not really the biggest grind problem, you still gotta purchase all the weapons, and I figured approximately how much more that cost. It cost me a bit more than leveling another character to max to purchase all the weapons for the first character, let's say 8 more times or so, might be a bit more. So that's at least 21 times per character instead then. It's really just to do the same over and over.

Then there's the other enemy kills, such as 10k spiders, this I simply found a place to auto-lock onto spiders that spawn against the last boss fight on easy with max level char. I of course did this AFK, and it worked well enough, only taking a couple of hours. The flying aircraft ones are a bit more painful to get 10k kills of, but I did that on 3-1 on easy with a level 8 character without bots, where I would get to the part where a big carrier will drop a lot of aircrafts over and over as long as you don't shoot down the carrier. With a an auto-lock on rocket launcher that shoots multiple targets at once this went easy enough. The 5k kills of the leeches was just to get into a boss fight against one of those that drops it, use level 7 assault rifle of the armor character with a lot of ammo, and just shoot the leeches the boss drops. I think I found some level where there were two of them at once. The rest of the kills shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Getting all the random weapons, that was boring, but I found some trick to do that too. For this I abused the level 8 weapon of the armor dude who also happens to have a shield that can defend against it's blast. You can also use the level 8 sniper weapon one of the other characters has, but I found it rather risky and I had to move to the back of the level before I shot etc. In any case, go into 3-2 and 2-3 hectors will spawn at the beginning, just use the level 8 weapon of the armor dude and shield against the blast. Should take out all 3, but maybe also just 2 of them. In any case, two more will come landing in, and you will just have to wait until you can use the weapon again and the shield to reload to shoot again. Once that is done, you can run and pick up what the hectors dropped. Some weapons can only be dropped at certain difficulty levels.

If all of this grindy stuff wasn't enough there is also the 500 survival waves. I'm going to be honest and say I AFK'd a great portion of this too, like 200-300 rounds. I just set the match up and went to bed. People would join me from time to time and get me through some rounds. Sorry to everyone who had to suffer through this. I was never AFK-kicked etc. I also did a lot of rounds myself to speed up the process, and the trick then is to only do like the first 2-3 rounds, as the next ones takes so much more time it's a waste of time compared to just restarting.

Currently I only miss a little bit of cash to purchase the last few weapons. Hopefully this will help someone else.

A small fun fact about this game's trophies is that the trophy description has a new line character in them. I contacted Sly about it long ago, because it didn't use to show up on a new line before (lacking the HTML tag for newline), so this game might be the reason why it's possible to have a new line in the trophy description and it showing up correctly on this site. :>

Edited by MMDE

• 9 months later...

Giving this a friendly bump. There are still people playing this awesome game. I Platinum one on a newer account few year ago. now i am going for it on my main. I also did on Xbox 360 as well. Any one can friend me to help out a bit.. drop me a PM.

• 1 year later...

I'm currently online playing the survival mode by myself...It's so nice for them to keep the servers open for little old me...

Just found out that the kills you do for the specific creatures count towards the total kill amount for the creature specific trophies along with the survival specific trophies...

Currently I'm getting about 2 levels completed and then get killed...Tonight's goal is to get the 100 cleared levels of survival mode trophy...only have 28 more to complete...so only about 14 more plays...

If anybody sees this and wants to come kill bugs tonight..feel free...I'll be the only player in survival mode...I'll wave when I see ya.

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2014 at 2:16 AM, MMDE said:

Getting all the random weapons, that was boring, but I found some trick to do that too. For this I abused the level 8 weapon of the armor dude who also happens to have a shield that can defend against it's blast. You can also use the level 8 sniper weapon one of the other characters has, but I found it rather risky and I had to move to the back of the level before I shot etc. In any case, go into 3-2 and 2-3 hectors will spawn at the beginning, just use the level 8 weapon of the armor dude and shield against the blast. Should take out all 3, but maybe also just 2 of them. In any case, two more will come landing in, and you will just have to wait until you can use the weapon again and the shield to reload to shoot again. Once that is done, you can run and pick up what the hectors dropped. Some weapons can only be dropped at certain difficulty levels.

MMDE is right, the best level by far to farm weapons is 3-2. There's 5 hectors plus if you want just to play just a little more two bomber spiders. Later there would be another and a big hector, but it takes too long and it's not worth it.

I do find a lot easier to use the Jet and its pesticide rifle. Using tactical is tough as it's a missile, it can hit anything in its path and blow earlier. Battle is useable if you have the shield, but at least I always killed my mates with him. Ranger is reasonable, but he moves slower than the jet. If you take a little time to learn the distance to use the Jet's pesticide rifle you can make all missions easily with him. On 3-2 just head back past the arch, take down the left hector, then the rightmost to the back (2 should go down), then the other 2 that spawn. Once this is done just pesticide the building in the distance, you'll kill the spawned ants and spiders and after the 2 bomber spiders and the 3 tunnels and their baddies. You should have a few weapon crates by now, just pick all, and restart.

You should play other levels, don't keep playing the same one. 3-4 and 3-5 are easy with the Jet and pesticide. On 3-4 equip the GoatShrike 110e and from start level down all buildings in fron of you, go to the left / back corner. Pesticide all spawning enemies while they're at a safe distance. When it's not possible, go up in the large road from the corner you're standing (left from the future queen ant position, just near map's border). When you're far, shoot the pesticide towards the pack. You'll probably kill your EDF buddies, revive one and repeat until they're all gone. At some point 3 hectors will spawn near the map center, pesticide them too. Before going to the center to activate the queen section you should go all the way possible to the right from your start position. There's a road with a raised road, level down all the road using GoatShrike. If you stay at the back of the road you'll now have a direct shooting path to the future queen ant spot. Go to the yellow spot after only one or 2 small enemies remain. As soon as the queen appears, head back to the furthest you can on the road you just cleared. Now pesticide the queen in peace. A few ants will appear but EDF guys will kill them or revive you if necessary. If you time it right you will also kill the wasps that spawn near the queen ant, leaving a few weapon crates in the end.

3-5 you should just level down using pesticide or GoatShrike all the building you can left from the bridge. All big enemies will spawn in this zone, or in the bridge road, so if you have a direct hit line it's easy, just kill them as soon as they spawn. Only annoying enemies are the 2 wasps, use your EDF guys as bait and from far pesticide rifle them. Stay in the back of them map, near the archs in the garden. It can be done 90% of the times, lots of weapon crates. Just remember to save at least 1 EDF once you kill them, so that they can save your ass if necessary.

Remember all weapon crates count even if you die after picking them. Trophy pops just after you picked the last weapon, no need to end mission for it to count.

Disgustingly grindy game, whoever come up with the trophy list should be grounded for life...

Edited by cris3f

1 hour ago, cris3f said:

MMDE is right, the best level by far to farm weapons is 3-2. There's 5 hectors plus if you want just to play just a little more two bomber spiders. Later there would be another and a big hector, but it takes too long and it's not worth it.

I do find a lot easier to use the Jet and its pesticide rifle. Using tactical is tough as it's a missile, it can hit anything in its path and blow earlier. Battle is useable if you have the shield, but at least I always killed my mates with him. Ranger is reasonable, but he moves slower than the jet. If you take a little time to learn the distance to use the Jet's pesticide rifle you can make all missions easily with him. On 3-2 just head back past the arch, take down the left hector, then the rightmost to the back (2 should go down), then the other 2 that spawn. Once this is done just pesticide the building in the distance, you'll kill the spawned ants and spiders and after the 2 bomber spiders and the 3 tunnels and their baddies. You should have a few weapon crates by now, just pick all, and restart.

You should play other levels, don't keep playing the same one. 3-4 and 3-5 are easy with the Jet and pesticide. On 3-4 equip the GoatShrike 110e and from start level down all buildings in fron of you, go to the left / back corner. Pesticide all spawning enemies while they're at a safe distance. When it's not possible, go up in the large road from the corner you're standing (left from the future queen ant position, just near map's border). When you're far, shoot the pesticide towards the pack. You'll probably kill your EDF buddies, revive one and repeat until they're all gone. At some point 3 hectors will spawn near the map center, pesticide them too. Before going to the center to activate the queen section you should go all the way possible to the right from your start position. There's a road with a raised road, level down all the road using GoatShrike. If you stay at the back of the road you'll now have a direct shooting path to the future queen ant spot. Go to the yellow spot after only one or 2 small enemies remain. As soon as the queen appears, head back to the furthest you can on the road you just cleared. Now pesticide the queen in peace. A few ants will appear but EDF guys will kill them or revive you if necessary. If you time it right you will also kill the wasps that spawn near the queen ant, leaving a few weapon crates in the end.

3-5 you should just level down using pesticide or GoatShrike all the building you can left from the bridge. All big enemies will spawn in this zone, or in the bridge road, so if you have a direct hit line it's easy, just kill them as soon as they spawn. Only annoying enemies are the 2 wasps, use your EDF guys as bait and from far pesticide rifle them. Stay in the back of them map, near the archs in the garden. It can be done 90% of the times, lots of weapon crates. Just remember to save at least 1 EDF once you kill them, so that they can save your ass if necessary.

Remember all weapon crates count even if you die after picking them. Trophy pops just after you picked the last weapon, no need to end mission for it to count.

Disgustingly grindy game, whoever come up with the trophy list should be grounded for life...

The one shot with the shield dude that makes a massive explosion, that's all you need, and it even has a shield to just defend against the blast so you take no damage. Who cares if your team mates die? :P And while you may think it's boring doing the same level over and over, it's what I found to be the fastest way to do it. I had already beat the game plenty of times, wouldn't be that interesting doing those parts again, just interested in getting weapon spawns as fast as possible, to get the related trophy. Doing it as fast as possible means less grind.

Tactical was nice beating the game with, especially because you could employ those stationary bots or whatever, and it was also a fast character, but the shield dude with that best weapon is just OP.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...