Gyro controls are your friend

ZitMeatloaf

Ok, I know the initial gut reaction from many if not most people is going to be "Eww, motion controls? GTFO of here with that pathetic gimmicky shit." Their judgement may have been prematurely and irrecoverably tainted and soured by poor experiences from the Sixaxis days, never to recover again.

Well if you've never tried gyro controls with the Dualsense, I'm here to tell you this definitely ain't your grandfather's Sixaxis, son.

I've always had my eye on this game and before it came to PS Plus I had it on my Steam wishlist, waiting for a sale, because I assumed I'd buy the PC version over PS. The idea of precision aiming using nothing but the sticks sounded unappealing to me. When you're limited to only using the sticks, I find that limitation gets frustrating very quickly, especially if you're tasked with cleaning up tiny curved lines or aiming inside an incredibly tight space.

After this game was announced for Plus, I vaguely remembered seeing an announcement that the developers were planning on adding gyro controls for aiming. I had my first gyro experience on Switch (I was skeptical at first too) and grew to really like it over there. If thumb sticks offer level 1 aiming and a mouse offers level 2, gyro controls are about a 1.7 IMO. It really is so much better than using just the sticks and you can aim very precisely.

So I gave the PS version a try, and the gyro works great! If you've never tried gyro and find portions of this game to be frustrating with only the sticks, turn on gyro controls and at least give it a try. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the feel comes quickly. I recommend setting the sensitivity between 3.5 and 4. You'll also need to toggle the gyro on at the beginning of each job by holding down L1 for about a second.

And the best thing is, turning on gyro doesn't turn off stick controls. So you can still use the thumb sticks for broader, wider motions, then use gyro for precision aiming when needed.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
Additional information about toggling on and off.
  • Like 2

If they are anything like the gyro controls on the Switch, can confirm. They are super precise with aiming and can definitely improve your play and overall experience. Really wish and hope that more games give it a try, especially with dualsense.

Just be sure to adjust the sensitivity to what works for you. Personally, I think it's better to adjust it to -1 or -2 and work your way up but everyone is different.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Really wish and hope that more games give it a try, especially with dualsense.

Yeah, I do as well. Nintendo is the company doing the most to incorporate gyro controls into their games, and once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to plain analogue sticks. Really any game with aiming - first or third person - can be better with gyro. Once I learned Tears of the Kingdom had gyro as an option for aiming Link's bow, I started using it and was hooked. It's so much easier to aim Link's bow than it was to aim Aloy's in HZD (I think Forbidden West added gyro as an option).

Part of what may have been holding gyro back in gaming in general is that no Xbox controller has ever used it. So no gyro on Xbox, and since Xbox controllers are the most popular on PC, there wasn't much PC support for it either. If you're a third-party developer, it probably wasn't worth the time and effort to add gyro controls to your game if 2 major platforms weren't going to use it. Xbox's new leaked controller releasing with the Series system refresh is finally supposed to add gyro, so maybe that will change now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJ_MOUSEY said:

Dammit, I didn't even know it had motion control, now I can give my thumbs a rest haha

Yeah, they're turned off by default so you'll need to turn it on in options. Even with the gyro controls activated, you still need to toggle the motion control on at the start of each job as well.

• Like 1