Why is ranked so time consuming?

The guide says that the plat should take around 70h. I personally have played over 200h, at least 140h of those in ranked. I have played 120h in ranked in one season and never made it out of copper. I talked to some people on reddit and they said I should expect at least 400h to reach gold. One guy said he even needed 900h to get it. Having to play this long for a silver trophy is just ridiculous 

Edited by Ravie_HD

5 hours ago, Nex_lovec said:

Don’t take this wrong but you kind need to know how to play this game and in top of that you really need a team to reach gold. It’s not an easy game to play with randoms. 

I know. Problem is that when I played with a group they were already silver and by the time they were gold I was almost bronze 5.

They were so frustrated by the game that they deleted it after that. Most of the other groups I tried with were not really good and made us loose the match. And if I play with better players I am the bad one that causes the loss of the round.

Also I don't have that much time to play online games. And after having played 120 hours in just one season (and not getting anywhere near gold, mind you all of those hours where played in a group) I got burned out and took a 3 month pause from the game. I come back, play around 20h but my Map knowledge and my skill are absolutely fucked and got a 0.3 kd in ranked now (before my kd was alternating between 0.75-1)

Edited by Ravie_HD
  • Like 1

As someone who once didn't fully understand some crucial information during the initial Season I first tried to hit Gold, you have to stop playing Ranked entirely if you drop down below Silver, and then try again the next Season.  You need to take advantage of being unranked during your Placement Matches - you can hit mid-Silver by winning like half of the 10 Placement Match games.

Practice in other modes, then next Season, get a team of players higher / better than yourself and then win like 6-7 Placement Matches and you'll hit Gold easy.

Playing Ranked below Silver is a huge waste of time Trophy-wise.  There is no benefit, and you won't make it out of those lower Ranks; you'll be hard-stuck, as that's what the game believes your skill level is.  The Placement Matches are the most crucial part where you must play your absolute best.

Once you have reached below Silver Rank, the MMR system is skewed to reward even less points for a win the longer you stay in Ranked, so the more matches you play, the less score you'll be rewarded for a win, and the more points you'll lose as you get punished even more for losses the more matches you play -- it is a lose-lose situation and is how the game determines your skill level.  It is harsh, but once you understand how crucial the Placement Matches are, and take them serious enough, and win most of them, then you'll hit Gold and will be thinking about hitting Platinum Rank :)

Edited by J-S_93

I got the platinum in 182 hours. Got pretty good in the game at the end, but my friends did most of the carrying. Without them I'd probably be in bronze still or something. So the biggest tip is to get a group of good players. Really liked the game and probably gonna play some games even after the platinum.

10 hours ago, J-S_93 said:

As someone who once didn't fully understand some crucial information during the initial Season I first tried to hit Gold, you have to stop playing Ranked entirely if you drop down below Silver, and then try again the next Season.  You need to take advantage of being unranked during your Placement Matches - you can hit mid-Silver by winning like half of the 10 Placement Match games.

Practice in other modes, then next Season, get a team of players higher / better than yourself and then win like 6-7 Placement Matches and you'll hit Gold easy.

Playing Ranked below Silver is a huge waste of time Trophy-wise.  There is no benefit, and you won't make it out of those lower Ranks; you'll be hard-stuck, as that's what the game believes your skill level is.  The Placement Matches are the most crucial part where you must play your absolute best.

Once you have reached below Silver Rank, the MMR system is skewed to reward even less points for a win the longer you stay in Ranked, so the more matches you play, the less score you'll be rewarded for a win, and the more points you'll lose as you get punished even more for losses the more matches you play -- it is a lose-lose situation and is how the game determines your skill level.  It is harsh, but once you understand how crucial the Placement Matches are, and take them serious enough, and win most of them, then you'll hit Gold and will be thinking about hitting Platinum Rank :)

Problem is that it doesn't work like that anymore since there is now ranked 2.0

Basically the mmr is now hidden and doesn't equal rank. Every player starts at copper 5 and then by winning matches you get ranked points. So you can't get to a higher rank just by winning placement matches anymore and instead have to grind your way up. Also it feels like they made it way slower and longer in general.

Last season I won 10 matches in a row and only ranked up from copper 5 to copper 2

And then I lost a bunch of matches and never made it out

Edited by Ravie_HD

2 hours ago, Ravie_HD said:

Problem is that it doesn't work like that anymore since there is now ranked 2.0

Basically the mmr is now hidden and doesn't equal rank. Every player starts at copper 5 and then by winning matches you get ranked points. So you can't get to a higher rank just by winning placement matches anymore and instead have to grind your way up. Also it feels like they made it way slower and longer in general.

Last season I won 10 matches in a row and only ranked up from copper 5 to copper 2

And then I lost a bunch of matches and never made it out

Woah! That actually sounds like a nightmare actually, to be honest, since it's been a while since I earned the Platinum Trophy, I didn't realise they made such a drastic change like that, wow...

I was actually going to one day, a few years from now, Platinum it again from scratch by doing the PS5 version - but I guess that ain't happening now.

Thanks for telling me what they did - I hope you can eventually get it done, man.  To be honest, it sounds like you need a full stacked team now from the very first match and never playing solo - that's no fun at all, man, damn...

Edit: I'm guessing then, that some of the Trophy Guides probably need a major update or overhaul then.  Maybe someone can suss a better way or find a path of least resistance to get it done with how it is now these days.

I wish you luck!

Edited by J-S_93

From a fresh account you can reach gold in around 35-45 games HOWEVER you need to win over 2/3 of them. If you are only wining 1/2 your games or less it will take a lot more. The problem is once you get stuck in copper/bronze you will remain their for a long long time.  

IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED RANKED YET: I would not recommend jumping straight into ranked. You will want to get really good at the game first if you want to hit gold as soon as you possibly can. I know no one will listen to me but it may be a good idea to sink 200ish hours into standard before starting the ranked grind. Check your account on https://r6.tracker.network/ and once you have over a 1.0 KD and are consistently winning games jump into ranked. It is probably also a good idea to find a 3-5 stack to play with and not try to soloQ as that can be extremely frustrating. 

Here is a video explaining some of the issues new players have with ranking up in Ranked 2.0: 

On 1/26/2024 at 11:02 PM, Dwightsarmy14 said:

From a fresh account you can reach gold in around 35-45 games HOWEVER you need to win over 2/3 of them. If you are only wining 1/2 your games or less it will take a lot more. The problem is once you get stuck in copper/bronze you will remain their for a long long time.  

IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED RANKED YET: I would not recommend jumping straight into ranked. You will want to get really good at the game first if you want to hit gold as soon as you possibly can. I know no one will listen to me but it may be a good idea to sink 200ish hours into standard before starting the ranked grind. Check your account on https://r6.tracker.network/ and once you have over a 1.0 KD and are consistently winning games jump into ranked. It is probably also a good idea to find a 3-5 stack to play with and not try to soloQ as that can be extremely frustrating. 

Here is a video explaining some of the issues new players have with ranking up in Ranked 2.0: 

I git 310 hours played. I am silver 3 right now but only because I got carried. In standard I have a 1.44 kd. In ranked its at 0.39. And in the silver lobbies I am in right now it's getting worse (as in 0.2 - 0.1 kd). This plat is literally impossible for me without a hard carry

And I got kicked out of multiple groups because I am too bad and they need a legit silver (they don't want a support player, they only want frags)

Edit: almost 3 weeks later i a still in silver 3. I win 60% of my matches but that is not enough to rank me up. Over 100h ranked this season and hardstuck silver. This game is a fucking joke

Edited by Ravie_HD
Edit