Best Way to get Holo cards as NMS?

megabassxz

Hello. I'm casually playing the game as a NMS (Mostly solo player/off line modes only). Is there a specific strategy to get more Holo cards for the trophy that requires 13 Holo players? It's the only Myteam trophy I need before I go and play MyCareer. 

I opened about 12 Tournament Battle Holo packs last December and only got 2 Holo cards out of them. I know they occasionally offer Holo cards with VC but I only have MT to spend. I have about 60K MT now. What should I be doing to get more Holo cards? Thank you.

Your best bet is to hold MT for now and wait for more events and packs. We have the all-star break coming up soon which is generally a time when 2k runs special promotions and events which may include guaranteed holos. It wouldn't be a bad idea to just go ahead and start on your MyCareer journey. I haven't played the PS5 stack but I suspect it will be like PS4: you will only need a relatively small amount of the VC you earn to upgrade your player enough to do the trophies, as long as you are playing on a lower difficulty, and the rest you could put towards guaranteed holographic cards when they offer them. I have 60k VC after finishing the PS4 plat, and spent probably another 100k that I earned from playing the game on packs (unfortunately before they started offering lots of guaranteed holos haha).

Ultimately, I was able to do it as no money spent by taking advantage of broken pack odds in early December. The 25th Anniversary packs they released had a positive cost:reward ratio because they made the low value cards worth a lot more than normal because it was popular "cheese" players like Tacko Fall, Bol Bol, Yao Ming. Generally you will lose MT in the long run with packs but in this case you would actually make MT on a long enough time scale. So I was able to open literally hundreds of packs in one night, and ultimately go from 2 or 3 holos to having the whole 13 done. I am not sure what the value proposition is for newer packs - I haven't played since I got the platinum, though I do intend to stack it - but keep an eye out for packs where the lowest valued cards in a set will sell for about the same amount as buying one pack, and then buy a 10-pack box (if available) to give yourself a discount.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VersusCA said:

Your best bet is to hold MT for now and wait for more events and packs. We have the all-star break coming up soon which is generally a time when 2k runs special promotions and events which may include guaranteed holos. It wouldn't be a bad idea to just go ahead and start on your MyCareer journey. I haven't played the PS5 stack but I suspect it will be like PS4: you will only need a relatively small amount of the VC you earn to upgrade your player enough to do the trophies, as long as you are playing on a lower difficulty, and the rest you could put towards guaranteed holographic cards when they offer them. I have 60k VC after finishing the PS4 plat, and spent probably another 100k that I earned from playing the game on packs (unfortunately before they started offering lots of guaranteed holos haha).

Ultimately, I was able to do it as no money spent by taking advantage of broken pack odds in early December. The 25th Anniversary packs they released had a positive cost:reward ratio because they made the low value cards worth a lot more than normal because it was popular "cheese" players like Tacko Fall, Bol Bol, Yao Ming. Generally you will lose MT in the long run with packs but in this case you would actually make MT on a long enough time scale. So I was able to open literally hundreds of packs in one night, and ultimately go from 2 or 3 holos to having the whole 13 done. I am not sure what the value proposition is for newer packs - I haven't played since I got the platinum, though I do intend to stack it - but keep an eye out for packs where the lowest valued cards in a set will sell for about the same amount as buying one pack, and then buy a 10-pack box (if available) to give yourself a discount.

Thank you.

Sorry, but how would I know that a card pack/set has good value proposition? What should be the lowest color available? I don't really open packs.

Actually, this just my 2nd time to participate in MyTeam.

I finished last year 2K23 all the MyTeam trophies just in Season 1 by being completely NMS and only going for the Agendas and earning cards like Elgin Baylor, Derron Williams, etc. I didn't really open packs then. 

NMS as well here. Unfortunately everything since the 25th Anniversary set has not been good for players as far as returns. When that set dropped, I was able to get 11 out of 13 that weekend. I was saving VC from MyC to spend on the guaranteed holos in myteam and still wound up having to buy 6 holo players at 15k VC each to get the last 2 I needed. I was either getting a holo I already had or a duplicate player that I had a holo of (example I already had Series 1 Harrison Barnes holo and then pulled a Level Up Holo Harrison Barnes).

But now with Pink Diamonds out, 2K has split the values of Diamonds. So Diamond cards have two different values within the same set and everything below that tier has drastically been reduced in value. But as mentioned above with All Star break coming, 2K will probably have more guaranteed holos in the player market but they will probably be VC only. It might be worth just starting MyCareer and saving up VC.

7 minutes ago, megabassxz said:

Thank you.

Sorry, but how would I know that a card pack/set has good value proposition? What should be the lowest color available? I don't really open packs.

Actually, this just my 2nd time to participate in MyTeam.

I finished last year 2K23 all the MyTeam trophies just in Season 1 by being completely NMS and only going for the Agendas and earning cards like Elgin Baylor, Derron Williams, etc. I didn't really open packs then. 

The lowest colour is going to gradually increase throughout the year. At the time I did it, it was emerald but looking at more recent packs the lowest colour is sapphire or even ruby. The quick sell value is what you are really looking for though. This number is not necessarily tied to the card's overall/colour. You can use 2kdb to see what a card sells for, so like here is a sapphire from a newer set selling for just 4,200. This is an example of a pack you do NOT want to farm, because packs generally go for around 4k for the base packs with only a chance of getting a card from the set, so getting this card is what you need just to break even.

By comparison, Bol Bol was the cheapest from the set I used. He quick sold for 14k, and you could get him in boxes that were 38,000 MT for 10 packs. So basically you only needed to pull the cheapest cards from the set 3 out of 10 times to make your MT back, and if you got more valuable cards or more than 3 it was profit!

Of course this is still gambling. You can have streaks where you lose money on 4 or 5 consecutive boxes and so on, but in the long run your odds of getting 3 cards from the set out of 10 were pretty good. Everything feels kind of stacked against the player this year so I wouldn't be surprised if they try to avoid this kind of value for awhile.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing MyTeam on and off for the last few months or so, collected 190 player cards but still haven't gotten a single holo yet. Hopefully they'll release a pack with some good odds or something because I really don't want to to just grind out this mode for a trophy, I also refuse to buy VC to speed it up hahahaha

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:44 AM, AKIRA28_ said:

Been playing MyTeam on and off for the last few months or so, collected 190 player cards but still haven't gotten a single holo yet. Hopefully they'll release a pack with some good odds or something because I really don't want to to just grind out this mode for a trophy, I also refuse to buy VC to speed it up hahahaha

I've only unlocked 1 Holo Card so far, but I hope the same. I really would like to Plat this game

• Confused 1

weve already had guranteed holo packs and boosted holo packs but with the state of myteam i wouldnt get hopes up.

2 minutes ago, JacksBestMate said:

weve already had guranteed holo packs and boosted holo packs but with the state of myteam i wouldnt get hopes up.

just save your mt dont waste it on normal packs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacksBestMate said:

just save your mt dont waste it on normal packs.

I’ve got about 650k MT and 115k VC saved up. Still grinding and also have plenty of players I can sell. Hope we get something soon. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2024 at 6:26 PM, CoopzIZBallin24 said:

I’ve got about 650k MT and 115k VC saved up. Still grinding and also have plenty of players I can sell. Hope we get something soon. 

Do you have any methods to grind VC and MT? There is a bundle that guarantees 1 Holo Card but it's around 115K VC sadly...

So simply accumulating mt and then opening any packs is not a good strategy. I have now opened around 200 packs of different types and not a single card was holo.

Currently (April 10th) the only option seems to be to open a guaranteed holopack 13 times (if you have 0 holocards like me) for a total of 1,495,000 vc. That would be several hundred hours of play mycareer or 300 bucks... It is better and more realistic to hope and wait that they offer guaranteed holo for 15,000 vc again.

22 minutes ago, mcpetrus said:

So simply accumulating mt and then opening any packs is not a good strategy. I have now opened around 200 packs of different types and not a single card was holo.

Currently (April 10th) the only option seems to be to open a guaranteed holopack 13 times (if you have 0 holocards like me) for a total of 1,495,000 vc. That would be several hundred hours of play mycareer or 300 bucks... It is better and more realistic to hope and wait that they offer guaranteed holo for 15,000 vc again.

You know, I wish just one year 2k would release an nba game trophy list that isn't wildly difficult or grindy. Like a simple trophy list isn't too much to ask. 

5 hours ago, HonorableAbe said:

You know, I wish just one year 2k would release an nba game trophy list that isn't wildly difficult or grindy. Like a simple trophy list isn't too much to ask. 

Not just trophy-wise, 2K is becoming greedier and greedier in every game release. Removing Auction House was completely pointless and against the community, just so that 2K could also sell you MT as MTX too...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcpetrus said:

Yea your right/ It would cost me 400 dollars to buy 1.4 million vc. THat elite pack doesn't even allow you to use MT so annoying. The grind for 1.4 million VC would be brutally long.  I guess just wait and see if one day they release something better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, godhand2k said:

It seems 2K removed the guaranteed Holo Card bundle… so, back to RNG opening packs and pray… 

Yep they did. It was way to pricey anyways but I guess that’s better then RNG luck. The best opportunity was those packs back in November and there was something in January as of now nothing. Still waiting for something 

small update from me: I farmed MT again to 700k almost exclusively with single player... with domination you can earn 5-8k per game... plus challenges... agendas... season pass etc. which also yield MT.

Anyway I had better luck this time. I now have 5 holocards. I only opened the playoff base packs ... about 300 of them. The best card I pulled was a 98 SGA that was worth 45k MT. The holocards were all emerald and ruby. On average I was able to reinvest around 15-20k mt from the packs of 20 for 75k.

That was my last farming. I'm betting everything that 2k will post holocards again for 15,000 VC.

• Like 3