Is it just me, or is this game absurdly difficult?

Now, to preface this, I will say that this is basically my first Need for Speed game. I have dabbled in a bit of Need for Speed: No Limits on my tablet, and played maybe about five minutes of Need for Speed Heat on a guest profile back when it was free on PlayStation Plus, but other than that, this game has been my first real exposure to the series, and I honestly have not been having a great time with it. I'm not going to say it's bad or anything, because it's not at all a bad game, but I'm all too often finding myself frustrated with the difficulty of this title.

It's absolutely whooping my ass so far, and I have no idea where I'm going wrong. I may be an NFS novice, but I consider myself to be fairly proficient at racing games in general, and have played, beaten, even Platinumed a handful of games in the genre, whereas I'm struggling to get the bare minimum bronze medals on events in this game. I feel like I'm taking pretty decent racing lines, going through the right shortcuts, slipstreaming when I'm behind someone, building up nitrous and using it at the right times, yet my opponents just rocket ahead into first and do not let up. I just can't catch up. I make one mistake and I'm just screwed with no chance of recovery. It especially stings when the events in question can easily reach the nine-minute mark in terms of length. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this game just outrageously difficult for no particular reason? Anyone else in the same position as me here? Any more seasoned players of this game have any tips or tricks?

• Like 2

It’s a remake of a ps3 game I believe, so it’s not that great anyway graphics wise and yeah it’s not very easy.

I found heat much easier, unbound is incredibly annoying ai with the rubber banding and stuff, but I found that easier then this game as well.

I gave up on this game personally after playing only a short while, not a good enough game to warrant the time to platinum in my opinion. Felt the same way with unbound although I played that one much more. Heat is the only one I actually stuck with for the platinum.

Yeah, the game was a struggle for me too. I basically just kept hitting my head against the wall until I eventually got it.

For reference, my friend Platinumed 100%'d the game in 22 hours, whereas it took me 46.

The only NFS game I had really delved into prior was Rivals, and that game was like a cakewalk comparatively.

4 minutes ago, Mr_Fluffy_Pants_ said:

not a good enough game to warrant the time to platinum in my opinion.

I don't think that's what OPs referring to.

The game's actually pretty fantastic in my opinion.

Edited by OmegaRejectz

3 minutes ago, OmegaRejectz said:

I don't think that's what OPs referring to.

The game's actually pretty fantastic in my opinion.

spacer.png

hahah no seriously though if you like it I’m happy for you.

I didn’t, but honestly I think 99% of EA games are trash anyway so! To each their own.

Aside from a couple events that may take numerous attempts to master (Needle Point, anyone?), getting gold on all events in Most Wanted (2012) is much easier than in Hot Pursuit (2010).

Across both this account and my old main, this Need For Speed entry is the only one I’ve played that I gave up on getting the platinum for (not counting The Run as that platinum’s been unobtainable since 2016 due to a single online trophy becoming bugged, followed by its servers closing a few years later).

Edited by Dry

1 hour ago, blue_blur_98 said:

Now, to preface this, I will say that this is basically my first Need for Speed game. I have dabbled in a bit of Need for Speed: No Limits on my tablet, and played maybe about five minutes of Need for Speed Heat on a guest profile back when it was free on PlayStation Plus, but other than that, this game has been my first real exposure to the series, and I honestly have not been having a great time with it. I'm not going to say it's bad or anything, because it's not at all a bad game, but I'm all too often finding myself frustrated with the difficulty of this title.

It's absolutely whooping my ass so far, and I have no idea where I'm going wrong. I may be an NFS novice, but I consider myself to be fairly proficient at racing games in general, and have played, beaten, even Platinumed a handful of games in the genre, whereas I'm struggling to get the bare minimum bronze medals on events in this game. I feel like I'm taking pretty decent racing lines, going through the right shortcuts, slipstreaming when I'm behind someone, building up nitrous and using it at the right times, yet my opponents just rocket ahead into first and do not let up. I just can't catch up. I make one mistake and I'm just screwed with no chance of recovery. It especially stings when the events in question can easily reach the nine-minute mark in terms of length. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this game just outrageously difficult for no particular reason? Anyone else in the same position as me here? Any more seasoned players of this game have any tips or tricks?

It’s a very difficult racer. I gave it a good 6-7/10, and apart from the DLC for the PS4 NFS, probably the hardest game in the series. The rapid responses in particular are very hard.

The remake also requires you to get gold in all DLC events for the platinum, so it’s a harder plat than the original PS3 plat. The AI rubber bands terribly, and the traffic spawns just suck ass. 

Most Wanted is significantly easier, although the DLC is an epic grind. Not hard, but time consuming. 

Notwithstanding the above, I’ve done both the PS3 AND PS4 versions 100%, so they are doable if you persevere and are competent at racers.

• Like 1

This might be a hot take, but I hate this game. It’s so demoralizing, I really don’t find it fun. I platinumed Rivals, and this one is much more difficult, or just requires some mental fortitude that I do not have. At least with Rivals I felt like I was making progress and getting better with each race. This game just makes me feel like I’m smashing my head into a wall. I had a one on one race (can’t remember the name of the event) and I had a perfect race. Well, so did the CPU. I could never catch them, let alone pass them to win. Then the next time I do the event, they have 3 crashes, I have one crash, and I win. There was another event (Vanishing Point, if I ever have to be a Pagani Zonda again…) I had to do 35 times, and I was off at least 10 times by less than 0.5 seconds. This game absolutely exhausts me. I take long breaks from it because of that, and honestly don’t know if I’ll finish it. You feel like you’re making zero progress, then all of the sudden win a few times, because so many things are dependent on some weird luck. I’ll do some events 15 times and make no progress, then I’ll do an interceptor and the guy crashes into a wall and I win the event 10 seconds into it. 

Edited by oxford_wolf007
  • Like 2

I've not played the remake so they could have changed things but on PS3 it wasn't hard at all.

All I can think of is that you're trying to play it like a sim? It wants you going round corners sideways. It's very Arcadey.

My second favourite in the series after Most Wanted 2005

7/10 difficulty seems about right. have to hope things go in favor that the time goes below the needed time when crossing the finish line especially for cop career.

had to do multiple attempts but i didn't give up on the ps3 version. really enjoyed that one and the DLC.

starting the ps4 version will happen eventually. just have to find the right time for it.

Edited by Lordguwa