RPG Mania 2024 - Trails of Final MegaDimension-verse: Echoes of an Alchemists Sceptre/Staff/Book VI

bug fables

horizon forbidden west ps4

south park the fractured but whole 

its decided now these are the games i want to use for double and triple point games!

its almost rpg games trophie hunting time.

i begin with the double point and triple point games first so that the 2× and 3×

games are finished!

and i do also 1 game at a time i have added so many games in my trophielist i'm going to do my best to try for to reach top 10 this year once the event begins.

Edited by maxfighter23___

On 3/9/2024 at 5:41 AM, blueswphoenix said:

x

Have you decided against joining?

On 3/10/2024 at 12:01 AM, Meikoro said:

i would like to sign up, but that math sounds hard for me :D

Heh, I have a pre-made calculation which you just fill in with what game you actually played, so it hopefully easyt.

(Example: Disgaea 6 Complete 100 (base score) + (3xG, 9xS, 19xB) = 55 (trophy points) - 28.41 (platinum rarity) - 10 (14% completion before event) = 116.59 points scored)

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 6:51 PM, YokA_sun said:

Remove new games bonus, however in speedrun bonus allow games to get speedrun bonus points if the game is released less than one month old (does not matter how long it takes one to plat). 

I feel that the New Game bonus and Speed Run bonuses work as separate beings, so New Game will stay as a singular bonus.

Series stacker be changed to cap at six games. with 25pts starting and every game stacks 25 pts more (short easy ones less rewarding just read below)

Hmm perhaps six games. I was aiming at 10 because it ends at 250 points which is a sizable bonus but allows other series with a fair few games (Neptunia, Atelier, Legend of Heroes) to still amass some points for people who choose to venture into those series. I am open though if people prefer a lower number. Post here your thoughts.

Seasonal bonus be limited to 4 per three months(real seasonal!) or 1 per month. I feel seasonal is against the whole idea of playing RPGs in relaxing and free time, 4 for a month would easily attract people going for short ones just to satisfy the need for bonus.

I take this on board, I think that to make happy medium I shall reduce the amount of times it can be chosen to 3 and a max of a nice round 100 points. I still like making a monthly option so I think that still works for me.

Speedrun be limited to 30 points each and max four titles per month, reason being it's also against the idea of relaxing and quality gaming.

I see your point but if the idea of getting an extra 50 points and not enjoying the game because they want to beat a time, that is a personal choice. There are enough RPG's that are indies and you can get into the top 50 times without much worry, so this will stay as it is.

The last but not the least:  Add game difficulty penalty/bonus and game length penalty/bonus below:

This is always a sticking point. Not every game on here has a guide. Not every game on here will have a metric which you can use to confirm average time. This will always be an issue because as @AlterArchuria pointed out, RPG's are generally longer games with higher time inputs. I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old, gaming is limited for me, so I would happy to play a shorter RPG and enjoy it rather than play a 100hr+ game which I cannot guarantee I will get into and enjoy the same way. I'm still open to if time can be measured, but it's finding something which is easy to track and can be checked.

On 3/4/2024 at 6:58 PM, AlterArchuria said:

challenges they could complete during the competition like say catch fishes in 10 different games, make level out in X amount of games, do max damage in a X amount of game, stuff like that for say extra 100-1000 points depending on how hard the challenge is

You know I like this idea, just now how to implement it well...

On 3/6/2024 at 8:58 PM, ProfSeajay7 said:

A question: For Disgaea 4 and Star Ocean: The Last Hope, can we use the enhanced version(Disgaea 4 Complete+ and Star Ocean: The Last Hope International)? I know that I am going to do the PS4 version of FFXIV and I put Mugen Souls in my Platinum Difficulty Challenge list, but I'd like to try for more than two games.

Yes you can.

Welcome also to the new participants!

Edited by Psy-Tychist
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Add game difficulty penalty/bonus

The scoring has to be universally applied, and not all games have a difficulty setting. While this scoring mechanic could work for games that do, like Persona games like 3 Reload which don't have trophies for difficulty challenges, it wouldn't work for games like Kingdom Hearts which have trophies for playing on higher difficulties you must earn, giving a bonus point score for something that's mandatory for the platinum is redundant and insulting. Likewise games like Dark Cloud 2 do not have difficulty settings so there is no way to give them a bonus for difficulty.  So this 'difficulty bonus' does not apply to all games and for those trying to get high scores, that means those games that don't apply won't be played because they don't get the bonus.

Also, Psy, thanks for the response to my question. Now I have an excuse to download those games. :lol:

Edited by ProfSeajay7

it looks very interesting if some things are going to be changed in this event cause with final fantasy games in the 2023 event there was alot of updates from final fantasy games ! i hope that everyone can compete against each other. maybe now everyone have a chance of winning with the changes

i try harder this year to finish more rpg games. by me the point was i always give up on a game without even finishing it. that i need to work on.

5 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Hmm perhaps six games. I was aiming at 10 because it ends at 250 points which is a sizable bonus but allows other series with a fair few games (Neptunia, Atelier, Legend of Heroes) to still amass some points for people who choose to venture into those series. I am open though if people prefer a lower number. Post here your thoughts.

I would say 5 would be a good solid number for most longer series since only a handful pass that much. Though if someone wants to do more in that series they could start back at 0 and work back up if anything so they aren't carried by a single series as a sort counter balance if you want to implement that. Just once again length needs to be considered into it somehow so at least the weight of the game is different.

This is always a sticking point. Not every game on here has a guide. Not every game on here will have a metric which you can use to confirm average time. This will always be an issue because as @AlterArchuria pointed out, RPG's are generally longer games with higher time inputs. I have a 2 year old and a 7 year old, gaming is limited for me, so I would happy to play a shorter RPG and enjoy it rather than play a 100hr+ game which I cannot guarantee I will get into and enjoy the same way. I'm still open to if time can be measured, but it's finding something which is easy to track and can be checked.

So to point to another competition to kinda piggy back on that issue sort of as a way to solve the problem to a degree the Platinum Difficulty Challenge 2024 rules show a rough idea how to estimate so even if a game doesn't have one we could always use one of those sites as a yard stick if a game doesn't have a guide and for the really niche titles that don't show up on anything or just are ??? then you @Psy-Tychist can be a judge based on other users time to get it.

You know I like this idea, just now how to implement it well...

A simple solution would be to make 10 of them and increase the difficultly as it goes, for example 1 being the easiest like fishing and 10 being the hardest like beating 10 super bosses (not really hard but u get it :P). As once they finish it they can't do it again since it be a one and done deal and maybe even give motivation to do the others kinda killing two birds with one stone. Of course make sure there more RPG like challenges and not Yakuza like one since your not gonna find racing cars in 95% of rpgs but at least upgrading weapons are in most lol

is the callout bonus cancelled this time.

i was watching trough the op in this event that is how i noticed it!

rpg games are meant for fun but with the final fantasy updates in the last event it felt like that the event was already over with 2 gamers that have scored 20k points.

I've decided on my Triple Point and Double Point Games.

Triple Point Game: Hogwarts Legacy (I already have 2% in it and I really need to get back on this title)

Double Point Games:

• Ni No Kuni (PS3)
  • Dragon Quest XI S

These two games are bugbears that have been bothering me for a while. The disc for Ni No Kuni is in my PS3, I just need to start it. :lol:

• Like 1

Sign me up for this year too. Already decided on my Triple Point Game.

Triple Point Game: Sand Land

Still need to think on what my Double Point games will be.

Also thinking of getting back into Dragon's Dogma 1, do I restart my run on the PS3 version of the game or do I get the PS4 version with the Dark Arisen content plus DLC?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 7:32 AM, mystiek_weapon said:

may i join in this event.

i have rpg games for to finish!

On 3/14/2024 at 3:22 PM, masdaz007 said:

i would like to sign me up!

my douple and triple points i going to add soon.

its first time i do this genre btw!

11 hours ago, chadley_kingdom said:

i would like to join.

my triple point game wil be

final fantasy 16

the 2x douple point games i stil am deciding what it will be.

and i want to get into rpg genre that is also why i want to join this event.

@maxfighter23___ Can you stop making Alts to use in the same competitions please. If you still want to be here under MaxFighter23 then that is fine, but these other accounts are not allowed.

@RedbeardRik, @NuclearManager, @Arctic Cress, @Leon Castle and @TenebraZero (welcome back dear Sir) you are all welcome in the embrace of the RPG.

20 hours ago, Leon Castle said:

Also thinking of getting back into Dragon's Dogma 1, do I restart my run on the PS3 version of the game or do I get the PS4 version with the Dark Arisen content plus DLC?

Tough choice although I would say that the PS4 version probably has some QoL improvements over the PS3 version. Or say to Hell With It and do Both!

Edited by Psy-Tychist
  • Like 3

I am sadly unable to have my first RPG of the event be my favorite, as Dragon Quest Builders 2 is going to be my next and 100th platinum by hook or by crook, which means I'll get the platinum for it in a week before the event. Also, speaking of RPGs, on May 19-22 I won't be earning any trophies as I will be in Salt Lake City and out of the house to watch people speed-running RPGs for a mental health charity. I wish to, before I die, attend a speed-running charity marathon that I watch on Youtube and Twitch and while I wanted to go to Summer Games Done Quick 2024, RPG Limit Break 2024 is closer to home(meaning my dad pays less for airfare) and I won't have to deal with video games that aren't RPGs like, oh, Resident Evil 4. :lol:(I've booked the hotel that the event is hosting but the hotel hasn't charged me yet, do I have to pay when I get there?)

About Summon nights 6 lost borders on most wanted list? I think it’s hard enough.

I decided on 2x games

as recap:

2x point 

Shin megami tensei V

2x point

Metaphor: Re Fantazio

3x point

Star ocean till the end of time

Edited by TenebraZero

Ok, it has been so long since I have been here that the whole site layout has changed....... Again.
The past year was not a good one and gaming took a back seat mostly, but I am slowly putting that behind me and by doing so...

Sign me up for the 2024 edition of holy hell my RPG backlog is so big I have no idea where to start now.

2x Bonus point : Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection: Volume 1 and Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection: Volume 2

3x Bonus Point:  Yakuza: Like A Dragon

Edited by fisty123

Sign me up again please, although I will be taking a MUCH more passive role this year 😅

My feedback and two cents on the proposed changes as someone who has obviously been using and abusing the scoring system excessively:

-Seasonal stacker deserves a slight nerf, as Yoka_Sun said and I quite agree; completing 4 RPGs a month can be a squeeze even for people with more than average game time and discourages getting stuck into longer games. If you're not maxing the stacker every month, you're not going to be scoring well. Changing to three games a month is a good change. Maybe even lower the points to 25, 50, 75 or just have it be a flat 50 each time with no increase to reduce how required the stackers are to stay competitive.

-Keep both speed run and new game but limit one per score so no doubling up. Simple enough and prevents players with deeper pockets than others playing all the games at launch which others may not be able to afford. 

-Series stackers are a tough one because although yes completing 20 Final Fantasy games like I did will result in rediculous points... you have to complete 20 Final Fantasy games. Outside of FF1, 2, 3 and one or two other easy ones, they all took a considerable amount of time and effort. Once you get to the proposed 10 game limit in the stacker, all you have left are 60-80+ hour games! I may have driven the stacker to crazy heights last year but it meant completing games like FFX, Stranger of Paradise, World of Final Fantasy etc. They were not easy or quick in the slightest and I worked my butt off. I'd understand a cap, just giving my thoughts.

-Difficulty/length is hard to monitor. The platinum rarity % does already work to balance this as completing short, easy games will result in big deductions in the plat rarity. The issue comes from adding stackers as 'speed running' 5 short games gets you a big extra 250pts. I'm not sure how to fix this though.

Personally I would just ban any games published by Ratalaika or other obvious shovelware publishers. Kemco games really aren't an issue as they don't stack as a series majority of the time, a lot of them aren't actually that short and they have big deductions on plat rarity. If someone really wants to play a bunch of average ass rpgs to get points, more power to them. It won't break the score boards at all and they will only be punishing themselves. Nobody was abusing short games last year, all the top scorers completed more 100+ hour games than anyone with tons of Yakuza, Legend of Heroes, Tales of games etc so the whole 'short games' being OP argument doesn't really have any substance imo.

Using the guides to balance this is not a good idea, they are innacurate quite often. I just finished Persona 5 Tactica which is listed as 4/10 difficulty when it's literally a 1/10 game where you can play on the easiest difficulty for everything with 0 resistance.

Edited by SWWDevereux
  • Like 1