Nintendo already has a Wii U successor...

Crisis001

Probably would be a good idea with the lost the Wii U has given them:

Nintendo already has "a clear idea" about what direction it plans to go in with its follow-up to the Wii U, though it won't be released until owners of its current console are "satisfied".

The news comes courtesy of an investor Q&A, in which company boss Satoru Iwata explained Nintendo has already begun working on the next iteration of its hardware.

To read more, go here!

Topic is misleading, they don't already have a successor, they're just working on a new one. Hardware development takes a lot of time, and having an idea means absolutely nothing. It will easily be another 4-5 years before it's released. So, the Wii U would be about 6-7 years old at that point, which would be a short life for a console, but it's not like they're releasing another console this year, or even next year, or anything like that. For comparison, Sony began development on the PS4 in 2008, and it wasn't released until 2013.
Also, people were saying how the 3DS was dumb and was the end of Nintendo a good 2 years into that console's life too, but we all see how that turned out. All because there just weren't many decent games to play the first couple of years. Once it got some good games, people started buying the system. So, the Wii U just needs some games, and it'll be fine. Which it's getting this year with games like Mario Kart 8, Smash, Bayonetta 2, and X. Almost every one of my friends plan on getting a Wii U this year for Mario Kart or Smash, or they've said they're going to get one once the new Zelda comes out, which would be next year. I've talked to numerous random people who say the same. It's not going to sell like the fluke that is the PS4, but it's going to be fine.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason the PS4 is selling so well is because of marketing. There's no logical reason to own a PS4 yet, and there was even less of a reason to buy one at launch. Even now there's only a handful of games worth playing(at best) that you actually need a PS4 to play. People just bought into the hype instead of being rational and cautious, like people have been with the Wii U and the X1. And before anyone gets on about how the X1 is selling well, there's no way that's true. MS has yet to release sales figures, only shipped units, so it's obvious it isn't doing well at all. Especially when you consider how overstocked stores are and the fact that they're actually cutting the Kinect so soon after launch to get the price down after they essentially built the system around the thing. It's even doing so badly that they had to stop production. I can't think of a single console that's ever had to stop production before so early in it's life. In actuality, it's not a stretch to say it's selling about the same, if not worse, than the Wii U. If it was selling decently well, they wouldn't be secretive about actual sales, and none of these things would be happening.  And it's more than likely selling badly because there's so few games worth playing on the system right now. Once more games (like Halo 5) come out, sales will go up.

• Like 1