Can any multiplayer veterans recommend some good co-op PVE shooters?

I’m not a multiplayer person at all but had a lot of fun with Helldivers 2 despite all the technical issues (which is why I am not continuing past the platinum until the devs fix it.) 

I’m now looking for something similar, i.e. a 3 or 4 person co-op shooter.  To be clear, I don’t mean single player campaigns with co-op (like Far Cry). I mean games that are designed with co-op modes in mind from the ground up. And no zombie games, please lol. Ideal attributes:

- Preferably third person camera view but first person is fine as well. No top down,  isometric or side scroll stuff.

- Doesn’t require much mic communication, if any. 

- Meaningful progression in terms of weapons, skills and gadgets that can turn the tide of battle.

- Challenging enough at high levels that you have to carefully consider your loadout to overcome odds.

- Should contain trophies but doesn’t have to have a platinum. 

- If it runs at 60fps that would be awesome, otherwise I can tolerate lower frames (through gritted teeth).

The closest gameplay feeling I can think of to Helldivers 2 is Mass Effect Andromeda’s multiplayer but that mode is waaaay too grindy and microtransactions focused. 

Many thanks!

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom

6 minutes ago, ClearVHS said:

Borderlands Series

Already platinumed most of them (still need to complete some of the DLC for Borderlands 3). I was able to do 95% of them solo and I don't even think I played with anyone for Borderlands 3, so I'd class that as "single player campaign with co-op" . Haven't played the first one or Tiny Tina.

8 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The closest I can think of is Deep Rock Galactic 🤔.

In my backlog. I've only done a few multiplayer games but found it kind of slow. It feels more "relaxing", if anything, whereas I want something really chaotic like Helldivers 2.

1 minute ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Already platinumed most of them (still need to complete some of the DLC for Borderlands 3). I was able to do 95% of them solo and I don't even think I played with anyone for Borderlands 3, so I'd class that as "single player campaign with co-op" . Haven't played the first one or Tiny Tina.

In my backlog. I've only done a few multiplayer games but found it kind of slow. It feels more "relaxing", if anything, whereas I want something really chaotic like Helldivers 2.

What Hazard level are you playing on? I ask, because Haz 1-3 are pretty tame compared to what you face on Haz 4 and 5 or even the Deep Dives, where 1 wrong move/bad decision will get you killed :).

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

What Hazard level are you playing on? I ask, because Haz 1-3 are pretty tame compared to what you face on Haz 4 and 5 or even the Deep Dives, where 1 wrong move/bad decision will get you killed :).

tbh I don't even know. I've been playing it in short spurts with months and months in between and forgot most of the mechanics. I'm very early in though so I think whatever I was doing was low level. I remember it was pretty chill, especially with higher level players who seemed to know what they were doing and where to go. Looks like I'll need to reinstall soon.

2 hours ago, Baker said:

Sounds like you would enjoy Payday 2. Or 3 (haven’t played that myself)

I just checked out Payday 3. Looks fun. A game based entirely around heist co-op. Hopefully, they have smoothed over the technical issues that were reported. Wishlisted.

Any more would be greatly appreciated. 😊

• Like 1