I'm disappointed there's no top-down view.

guylian

I haven't seen anyone talk about that this sequel is a third-person view, compared to, Helldivers, which had a top-down view.

I personally preferred the top-down view for this type of game. I really enjoy games like Dead Nation, Alienation, Helldivers, Magika 2 and Desperados III. So I was disappointed the developers changed to a third-person view. I guess they wanted to appeal to a wider audience.

In many games you can change the POV, so it would have been great if the developers gave the player a choice of top-down or third-person view.

Edited by guylian
Typo.

1 hour ago, guylian said:

I haven't seen anyone talk about that

It's really the only thing I've talked about in relation to HD2. I love my twin-stick shooters, but this TPS change seems cool too.

• Like 1

I don't think top down would work so much with this game due to them building it with third person in mind. HD1 was mostly flat plains with rocks in the way to go round whereas this has a lot more changes in elevation and the objectives can be in different places. An isometric view would mean that every objective/item would have to be facing the same way in order for it to be seen. Plus, on some of the dense jungle planets, there'd be constant trees blocking the view.

There's pros and cons with either view but personally, I prefer this games camera. Action is a lot more frantic when you can't see everything around you and you rely on teammates more to warn you of things. That being said, I tend to play this as a group so it'll be different with randoms. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guylian said:

I really enjoy games like Dead Nation, Alienation

I'm still gutted Housemarque stated they were done making twin-stick games. I can't imagine the amount of drugs it took to completely step away from the entire reason their studio was successful to begin with.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I'm still gutted Housemarque stated they were done making twin-stick games. I can't imagine the amount of drugs it took to completely step away from the entire reason their studio was successful to begin with.

For some reason, that really reminded me of a line from a TV show:

"You know, if you ask a professional athlete what the hardest thing is to do in sports, they'll all say hit a baseball, but a coach once told me that the hardest thing to do in sports is to walk into your Superbowl locker room at half time and change the strategy that got you there 'cause it's no longer working"

...kind of sound like a metaphor for Housemarque a few years ago!

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

a metaphor for Housemarque

Gonna sound crazy here, but I didn't like Returnal.

9 hours ago, Helyx said:

I love my twin-stick shooters, but this TPS change seems cool too.

9 hours ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

This new view is fun though, a bit more involved and intense. More shooter than strategy...but still has strategy.

Thanks for letting me know guys, that is good to hear 👍

9 hours ago, AgentSmiz said:

I don't think top down would work so much with this game due to them building it with third person in mind. HD1 was mostly flat plains with rocks in the way to go round whereas this has a lot more changes in elevation and the objectives can be in different places. An isometric view would mean that every objective/item would have to be facing the same way in order for it to be seen. Plus, on some of the dense jungle planets, there'd be constant trees blocking the view.

I prefer this games camera. Action is a lot more frantic when you can't see everything around you and you rely on teammates more to warn you of things.

Good points made, thanks for replying 👍

8 hours ago, Helyx said:

I'm still gutted Housemarque stated they were done making twin-stick games.

Oh man, I didn't know that 😩

• Like 1