If you could change how the trophy system works

Both Playstation and Xbox have fallen away from what used to be great systems. They're big messes even if they do great stuff, and are in a big need of a rework. So I would combine them both and simplify it.

No arbitrary points as that's meaningless. But the Bronze, Silver, Gold trophies don't mean anything anymore as we have trash games that give out only golds for zero work. Also the trophy level has no meaning if it doesn't do anything and should be removed or have some reward system added to it.

The vast majority of trophies should have their value of Bronze, SIlver, Gold, scale based on trophy rarity.

When a game is released all trophies would be Gold. As players progress and obtain trophies, they would scale down to Silver/Bronze based on the number of players who have earned them based off Sony's trophy rarity rating (common, uncommon, rare, very rare, ultra rare). I think this would also help chip away at all the shovelware bull$h!t that litters the PSN. Fewer people would be inclined to spend 3 dollars on the next Jumping trash game if they couldn't get 15 golds and a plat. Also those games shouldn't be allowed to have plats. Sony needs quality control for trophies and a handful of PS employees who oversee it. I'm sure there's a good amount of easy money Sony makes off these, but have some standards.

I would also let the game devs choose particular trophies to be set as Silver and Gold if they want if they're based on skill/difficulty. Or dev favorite trophies that are meaningful to the team could be given their own unique trophy identifier (a blue trophy). For example, easter egg trophies that call back to their previous games/IP, or a trophy for a questline for a developer that passed away before the game was released (like in GoW or Horizon). Also make the dev trophies link up to the Playstation Stars items and make that somewhat useful even if it is a failed NFT dumpster fire.

Bring time-limited trophies/challenges into PS like what Microsoft does. Beat the first boss within the launch week of a game, travel ### miles in the open world of X game. Or community based timed trophies. Imagine a Helldivers 2 trophy that's "Spread Democracy: as a community spread democracy to 1,000,000,000 bugs in the first week." and if you're part of this group who unlocks a trophy you get a special cape or launch window PSN icon or PSN background, or  in game skin. There are few trophies that are fun to unlock that reward you with items to show off. GoW, Ghost, etc, some first party games send you an email with a code when you beat it, I'd like to see more of that with trophies.

For the hardcore trophy addicts that are on this site, I would also add a time lock to trophies. People can't earn a trophy before the game is released worldwide and they aren't retroactive. Sony could make events out of this other games "race to world first" competitions. If you're one of the first 5,000 people you get a diamond trophy instead of a plat. Maybe you get some PSN credit, or special icon or background or something along with it. But for the die hard people who want to be one of the first you could truly have a chance at it instead of reviewers and others getting early copies.

As a bonus:

Maybe introduce a brand of family/kid centric trophies with free Sony mini-games featuring Astro Bot, Sackboy, Taro, and screw it, let's give Knack (small size) a shot at redemption. Release these as a series of free 4-player mini games that come out regularly. Can be played online or couch-op with people or bots. And they promote console features, PSVR2 release day, PS5 Pro release, release a mini game to announce the disability controller release, new updates, console setting tutorials, State of Play themed games, all presented in a fun way similar to how Astro came with the PS5 for free and was a fun "history lesson" of Playstation. I dunno, just a random idea that I'm spitballing as I think about it. But Astro was a massive hit with the console launch and I'd love to see Sony stick with things like that

I like Xboxes gamerscre idea of culminative  points. LIke the level system doesn't do it for me. I have barely over 100 trophies and I'm already level 54. I shouldn't be gaining a level every 2 trophies after like the first couple levels. Funny thing is is that trophies already use a point system with the average main game having 1350 total points, I'd like to see those points used as like a gamerscore kind of thing. So if you have 2 platinums you have 2700 points and maybe you have 300 points in your third game so your PS gamerscore or points score would be 3000. I'd love to see something like that instead of levels. 

Edited by NinjaMJD

First I'd rebuild the cheap looking trophy UI on the PS5. The main game tiles are way to far from the screen, and the PS4 rectangular ones look out of place with the new square PS5 ones. Besides that I'd maybe add completion percentage somewhere in the rebuild UI. 

Edited by CB7Tuner91

On 3/27/2024 at 1:49 PM, MrPhrips said:

Both Playstation and Xbox have fallen away from what used to be great systems. They're big messes even if they do great stuff, and are in a big need of a rework. So I would combine them both and simplify it.

No arbitrary points as that's meaningless. But the Bronze, Silver, Gold trophies don't mean anything anymore as we have trash games that give out only golds for zero work. Also the trophy level has no meaning if it doesn't do anything and should be removed or have some reward system added to it.

The vast majority of trophies should have their value of Bronze, SIlver, Gold, scale based on trophy rarity.

When a game is released all trophies would be Gold. As players progress and obtain trophies, they would scale down to Silver/Bronze based on the number of players who have earned them based off Sony's trophy rarity rating (common, uncommon, rare, very rare, ultra rare). I think this would also help chip away at all the shovelware bull$h!t that litters the PSN. Fewer people would be inclined to spend 3 dollars on the next Jumping trash game if they couldn't get 15 golds and a plat. Also those games shouldn't be allowed to have plats. Sony needs quality control for trophies and a handful of PS employees who oversee it. I'm sure there's a good amount of easy money Sony makes off these, but have some standards.

I would also let the game devs choose particular trophies to be set as Silver and Gold if they want if they're based on skill/difficulty. Or dev favorite trophies that are meaningful to the team could be given their own unique trophy identifier (a blue trophy). For example, easter egg trophies that call back to their previous games/IP, or a trophy for a questline for a developer that passed away before the game was released (like in GoW or Horizon). Also make the dev trophies link up to the Playstation Stars items and make that somewhat useful even if it is a failed NFT dumpster fire.

Bring time-limited trophies/challenges into PS like what Microsoft does. Beat the first boss within the launch week of a game, travel ### miles in the open world of X game. Or community based timed trophies. Imagine a Helldivers 2 trophy that's "Spread Democracy: as a community spread democracy to 1,000,000,000 bugs in the first week." and if you're part of this group who unlocks a trophy you get a special cape or launch window PSN icon or PSN background, or  in game skin. There are few trophies that are fun to unlock that reward you with items to show off. GoW, Ghost, etc, some first party games send you an email with a code when you beat it, I'd like to see more of that with trophies.

For the hardcore trophy addicts that are on this site, I would also add a time lock to trophies. People can't earn a trophy before the game is released worldwide and they aren't retroactive. Sony could make events out of this other games "race to world first" competitions. If you're one of the first 5,000 people you get a diamond trophy instead of a plat. Maybe you get some PSN credit, or special icon or background or something along with it. But for the die hard people who want to be one of the first you could truly have a chance at it instead of reviewers and others getting early copies.

As a bonus:

Maybe introduce a brand of family/kid centric trophies with free Sony mini-games featuring Astro Bot, Sackboy, Taro, and screw it, let's give Knack (small size) a shot at redemption. Release these as a series of free 4-player mini games that come out regularly. Can be played online or couch-op with people or bots. And they promote console features, PSVR2 release day, PS5 Pro release, release a mini game to announce the disability controller release, new updates, console setting tutorials, State of Play themed games, all presented in a fun way similar to how Astro came with the PS5 for free and was a fun "history lesson" of Playstation. I dunno, just a random idea that I'm spitballing as I think about it. But Astro was a massive hit with the console launch and I'd love to see Sony stick with things like that

al of these are horrible suggestions

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2024 at 1:28 PM, MonaSaxPayne said:

al of these are horrible suggestions

Yeah, it would be a shame to lose your 2 minute plat and 11 gold trophies for such game of the year contenders like Taco Run and Blackberry Honey...

• Confused 2