If you could change how the trophy system works

The two biggest changes I would like are:

1. No online trophies in single player games

2. Store credit for trophies earned (i.e. bronze trophy would be worth 5 cents, silver 10 cents, gold 25 cents, and platinum 50 cents). 

Edited by AngelicaK92

Definitely the Ability to delete trophy lists from your account 

Be cool if More games could do like disintegration and once online done, the online trophies are doable in SP, obviously couldn’t do it if game is online only

No Dumb Lists like Tomb Raider 1-3 PS5, When It Should be like the PS4 list

24 minutes ago, AngelicaK92 said:

2. Store credit for trophies earned (i.e. bronze trophy would be worth 5 cents, silver 10 cents, gold 25 cents, and platinum 50 cents). 

number 2 would be very abused by people creating new accounts 

If deleting Trophies no matter the progress would be implemented - there would have to be a very robust system in place for it to work.

It can't be any easy to access feature else it'll be abused.

Abuse cases:

Trolls - logging into people's accounts of someone they may know, or guessing credentials and then deleting their Trophy data for a laugh; you know this'll 100% happen.

Hackers - something similar could happen like the hack on Sony's PlayStation Network in 2011, where approximately 77 million accounts were compromised, and if something like that were to happen, if the feature isn't protected and robust enough, you could all be wiped out and reset; though this could still happen these days with the advancement of hacking tools and AI.

Not having a sandbox security protection measure - if a player decides to delete a specific game's Trophy list, it goes into a sandbox where it remains unseen to you and to all but can be restored until it is moved out of the sandbox into the 'Recycle Bin' and then emptied, or time expires as to how long Trophies can remain in the sandbox.  But this could also be abused; maybe you would need to apply for the deletion feature by providing ID and some sort of written consent.  But anything can still be abused and be a point of failure, but you have to start somewhere.

Edited by J-S_93

I think being able to disable trophies when first starting a game would be a nice idea and would save making other accounts just to try out games or to play games with the kids/family that you don't feel like grinding out by yourself later on. I also agree to no stacks but would much rather shovelware having no platinum. I also prefer the old levelling system and think they should have just raised the cap on that. I don't even remember what level I am because it changes every other day and has become worthless. 

Multiplayer trophies need a rework as well, either as DLC or to not exist and single player games shouldn't have online trophies. I think about Mad Max as a great example of where the plat is locked out because of 1 trophy that requires 1 thing out of many to be online which is just ridiculous. 

Edited by Hitman_Spinksy1

I wouldn’t change too much. I wouldn’t want trophy lists to be all the be same value and multiplayer taken out. Trophy lists for games should be different and diverse.

That being said I wouldn’t mind being able to delete some games but not all.

Things I would change however, are

1. banning platinum trophies simply being called “platinum” or “platinum trophy”

2. All trophy images should be different and be different to each other

3. When a trophy pops on ps5 display the image like it does on ps3

One game, one trophy list.

Gone are all the regional and console stacks.

Exceptions only apply to games with some content differences between platforms or regions that would effect the trophies. For example, a mode being unavailable on a previous gen version or censored content for specific regions.

I don't care if the games are easy or hard, let the shovelware continue for all I care but nuke all the stacks. 

19 hours ago, Jozxyqk_27 said:

If the servers for a game go offline, all of the Online trophies for that game should automatically pop for all players.

I said what I said.

Trash take. If you didn't earn them, you don't get them. You aren't owed trophies because a game goes offline. I shouldn't be able to pop MAG in and get an instant free platinum, that would be a spitball in the face to people who actually did something. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AngelicaK92 said:

18 hours ago, king231James said:

number 2 would be very abused by people creating new accounts 

This already happened.  It was the loyalty program before stars.  It was cancelled mainly because $1 shovelware plats actually made you money cause a full trophy list earned over a dollar.  People did abuse it by creating multiple profiles.  I made about $80 in store credit playing normally (no shovelware, no other accounts) and took a 1 year hiatus from playing new games during its run, so you can imagine how much some of the die-hards made.  I'm shocked Sony ever thought it was a good idea to begin with.

• Like 1

If I could pick one thing I'd like the option of removing any game from trophy lists regardless if they're already populated or not. The other thing would be as someone mentioned 1 list per game, the PS4/PS5 exploiting is just silly.  

Other than that I think the system is fairly good at least in comparison to Xbox and Steam, many people here are complaining that online trophies aren't separated - please light a candle for fellow PC achievement hunters who don't even get separated lists for added DLC.

I'll turn off facetious mode for a bit to backtrack a bit on my controversial dream scenario, which does admittedly arguable overcorrect a tad, annoying one subset of gamers to appease another subset.

After reading the comments, there are much more interesting, feasible, and possibly implementable solutions than my own. Online stuff as DLC only sounds good (kind of like what Rise of the Tomb Raider did), as are specific trophies that could be earned in multiplayer OR single player (ala Mass Effect). I also respect what Jump Force did, changing the criteria for at least one of its trophies so that it could be achieved after its dedicated servers shut down. 

Honestly, if we're waving magic wands, my main dream would be to make online trophies attainable in perpetuity. A man can dream, I guess...

Mandate online trophies as DLC unless the game is majority multiplayer/online or multiplayer/online only (single player games that for some godforsaken reason require a constant internet connection do not fall under the latter category). They were annoying enough in the PS3 era, but ever since the PS4 era they've become disgusting. Every time I get a game that has those shits in addition to the single player trophies I just put the platinum on a backlog until I get a bunch of games with the same issue so that I don't waste a month of Plus I have to specifically buy for this reason on ONE game.

Add a whole new trophy level. Diamond Tier, for mastering a whole game series. 

For example:

Fortune Master: Obtain all the trophies in Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, Golden Abyss and Fight for Fortune 

18 minutes ago, blazkowicz6 said:

No regional stacks would be a good start.

I think the Chinese ones look pretty cool though.  (Certain ones)

Edited by J-S_93

On 3/25/2024 at 1:12 AM, J-S_93 said:

If deleting Trophies no matter the progress would be implemented - there would have to be a very robust system in place for it to work.

It can't be any easy to access feature else it'll be abused.

Abuse cases:

Trolls - logging into people's accounts of someone they may know, or guessing credentials and then deleting their Trophy data for a laugh; you know this'll 100% happen.

Hackers - something similar could happen like the hack on Sony's PlayStation Network in 2011, where approximately 77 million accounts were compromised, and if something like that were to happen, if the feature isn't protected and robust enough, you could all be wiped out and reset; though this could still happen these days with the advancement of hacking tools and AI.

Not having a sandbox security protection measure - if a player decides to delete a specific game's Trophy list, it goes into a sandbox where it remains unseen to you and to all but can be restored until it is moved out of the sandbox into the 'Recycle Bin' and then emptied, or time expires as to how long Trophies can remain in the sandbox.  But this could also be abused; maybe you would need to apply for the deletion feature by providing ID and some sort of written consent.  But anything can still be abused and be a point of failure, but you have to start somewhere.

Honestly, you could just overhaul the current ability to hide games so that it updates your trophy count/level accordingly a la PSNP and that would solve the main issue with regards to hidden trophies being easily trackable by a database (currently, just compare the number of visible trophies on the scanned profile to what PSN says the trophy count is and the difference between those numbers is the number of hidden trophies). No need to deal with the risks of outright deleting lists that way, whether it be a hacker getting into the account or someone just regretting deleting a list later.

5 minutes ago, Walt the Dog said:

Honestly, you could just overhaul the current ability to hide games so that it updates your trophy count/level accordingly a la PSNP and that would solve the main issue with regards to hidden trophies being easily trackable by a database (currently, just compare the number of visible trophies on the scanned profile to what PSN says the trophy count is and the difference between those numbers is the number of hidden trophies). No need to deal with the risks of outright deleting lists that way, whether it be a hacker getting into the account or someone just regretting deleting a list later.

That's still a placebo effect akin to the current hiding feature which is just an extremely lame feature, and we as a player can still see everything that we've ourselves hidden, our games, owned / played list is still cluttered with all this crap that we chose to hide; stuff we touched for maybe an hour, or started 1 time with less than a minute of playtime can still be seen; regardless of Trophies even being in the mix, and we aren't benefiting from things being hidden - things only look cleaner and clearer to a spectator of your account, making hiding redundant to us - not to mention players are publicly outed for hiding, lol, as things are currently, due to the API snitching - and I don't know how you can improve upon this current terrible implementation of a 'hiding feature' - it just needs a total rework from the ground up - you have to remember the addition of the deletion of 0% games feature that we had given to us; and that works perfectly, and is exactly what we all asked and wished for when we didn't initially have the feature in the past; so I don't see the point in all the hiding, it is a failed feature, and is just bare minimum effort.  Also, PSNP have no official relationship with Sony, this site is just API access.

And to solve the regretting of deletion of any Trophy List - we just need multiple annoying: 'Are you sure', 'Are you really, really sure - this cannot be undone, so don't cry to us about it' prompts, and maybe a mandatory IQ test and captcha sequence - and also applying for the feature; as not every moron-- person should be able to just access and use it on a whim, unless they truly know the consequences of the deletion.  You just gotta know what you're doing and really think about it first.

A pilot test could be only Sports games at first; ones with dead servers as no one wants these forever-incomplete games on their list anyway.  A pilot test with confirmed unobtainable games, or games where there are Studio shutters, I dunno but we need something; a starting point.  Even Steam has an Achievement deletion feature, but you gotta really dig for it though, through special console/terminal access.

It can be done, and hiding is NOT the answer.  We need proper deletion in place.

Love to know your thoughts though.

All trophies should be unlocked by Sony if they are glitched. 

Have all online trophies separate unless it's a multiplayer only game. 

Trophy lists have their own 5 level system that starts easy and gets hard, each level has it's own list with its own platinum and if you complete all 5 you get a new type of trophy, collectible or something else. Shovelware games are excluded. 

Edited by GUDGER666

I'd force every Dev to showcase that every trophy functions as part of the approval to get a game listed on PSN's storefront. Every update requiring trophies function before updates can be approved as well.

Remove all auto pops, if you want a stack you need to earn it instead of being lazy and entitled.

I'd tie it into this website, and implement 3 new functions:

1.   Every time someone posted a "git gud" comment or said a trophy was "easy" in response to someone struggling with it... the system would automatically un-earn that one for them, and they'd have to re-earn it.

(After all, since if it's easy, they shouldn't have a problem earning it again.)

2.   Every time someone posted an angry rant calling a trophy that is clearly possible "impossible", it would automatically make a random unearned trophy on thier profile unattainable. (Therefore, helping them, as it would give them a real issue to complain about.)

3.   Any time someone made a snide remark about someone else's trophies, the system would automatically delete 1 trophy at random from their collection.

😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3