Looking for a PS3>PC Capture Device. Any Help?

ShadowGandalf

Ok, so, I'm pretty clueless about this. I want a capture device to record gameplay from my PS3 that I can upload to YouTube. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I don't want something TOO outrageously expensive, but I can do some saving if necessary. I want the videos to be decent quality too. 720p would be nice. Must be compatible with Windows 7, which is my current OS. (also, must be available in UK, I'd rather not import)

I found this one, but, like I said, I'm pretty clueless, and I don't wanna buy something blindly, when it might not be what I want, or turns out to be too complicated for me. Does this look good? Do you know something better? Do you use something yourself that you could recommend?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance. :P

(also, if it can also capture from older consoles too, like PS2, Gamecube etc, that'd be a good bonus, but PS3 is the main thing I wanna capture from)

Edited by ShadowGandalf

Ah, thanks... the only issue there, is that all the links provided in that thread are for american listings. And as I said above, I'm not keen on importing. (plus the currency conversion fees). I guess I can copy/paste the product name into Amazon.co.uk to see if there's one there...

Thanks, I'll investigate tomorrow. It's getting late.

Ah, thanks... the only issue there, is that all the links provided in that thread are for american listings. And as I said above, I'm not keen on importing. (plus the currency conversion fees). I guess I can copy/paste the product name into Amazon.co.uk to see if there's one there...

Thanks, I'll investigate tomorrow. It's getting late.

Amazon UK does have the Elgato. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Capture-PlayStation-Definition-Recorder/dp/B0082J1YCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400372139&sr=8-1&keywords=El+gato

Parker

Elgato is probably the best. I'm not familair with it but I'm planning to buy it.

I wouldn't get the one you listed. It says you need to record and play in SD, so that's not 720p. It says you can render it to 720p but mostly that doesn't work out very well. It's easy way to cheap, looks too unreliable to me. It also has no cables with it you will need.

Another option would be the AverMedia Game Capture HD. It's cheaper than the Elgato but requires you to play on Component, not HDMI. I have it and it comes with all the cables you need, it's very user friendly and you can set it up in 10 minutes or less. Even though you play in component it's still recorded as HD somehow but the quality is not as good as the usual 720p. I find it annoying to have to play in component, but I have to admit to quality of the gameplay looks better when uploaded to YouTube after you edited and rendered it. 

It also requires you to use an external HDD to record onto so you don't need to use a laptop/PC to record with. That works really well but it's recommend to have atleast a 500GB HDD or bigger. It didn't always worked flawlessly with my old 250GB HDD but that could also be because it was USB 2.0.

I believe they have an AverMedia Game Capture HD II now but I'm not familiar with it. I don't know if it also requires an external HDD. 

Since you say you want to record from PS3 to PC I would recommend the Elgato. It's more expensive and I'm not sure if it comes with all the cables you need but it has the best quality and it works for PS4 aswell.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The Elegato looks the best, but I'll have to do some drastic saving. I won't be able to buy it for a while. If something cheaper but just as good comes along in the meantime (I was thinking of asking in PC World), I'll consider it.

• 2 weeks later...

Elgato by far, i used to have Hauppauge HD PVR 1 and 2, both took its sweet time to get up and running properly, but i'll admit, once they did work, it would take alot to fuck it up.

Elgato on the other hand is insanely easy, and its already supported by next gen. I have my PS3 and PS4 hooked up to it at the same time, no issues there, not to mention the interface is genius and i've never had any problems with it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...