MrWright95s Platinums, Tier List and Backlog Showcase

Nice!

I'll tell you what Mr. Clarke told me when I started my checklist:

Also 21 completions so far this year?? Daaaamn!

Off to a great start man, formatting looks great. I'll be keepin an eye out!

• Like 2

Update #1 and likely the last update for this week. 

The tier list is complete! I will be honest it was extremely hard for me to rank the games within the top tier. I could mount a case for all of them being first in that category but have settled on the ranking lists for now. 

I will possibly rearrange slightly when I go back through and review every game for my completed game section, but I am happy with how it looks so far!

• Like 4

I can see clearly how much weight you give to each game's trophy lists. You're making me want to play Days Gone and Hades even more!

It's also the first thumbs down that I've seen for Unpacking which is interesting.

We enjoy a lot of similar games!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

I can see clearly how much weight you give to each game's trophy lists. You're making me want to play Days Gone and Hades even more!

It's also the first thumbs down that I've seen for Unpacking which is interesting.

We enjoy a lot of similar games!

Its a bit of a mixed bag for me, I'd say the weight on the trophy list would be best put like this.

Ranking 1 is without a doubt: how much did I enjoy the game, for instance Dead Island (#1) can be buggy, the trophy list is a bit of a grind and the game itself is flawed in many ways, but it is without a doubt my favourite game if not top 2 or 3 I have ever played for a number of reasons, so despite the trophy list / online trophies etc, it goes to #1. 

Games that I have to watch a video guide for collectables (whilst playing through the main story) etc will almost never rank as highly as games I can experience blindy. So a lot of games with missable trophies etc do take a hit, but this is not a steadfast rule. For instance TLOU P1 is still a fantastic game even with having to use a guide whilst playing. It would be in the top tier if I could clean up collectables post game more conveniently. 

I think my ranking of each game will make a lot more sense once I have finished the completed game section so my thoughts on each could be a bit more clear, but the trophy list is always second to the fun / enjoyment I had on a game. With that being said if a game has trophies that bug etc or forces me to do things that I then start to not find fun, it will fall marginally in rank. 

No games trophy list (from what I can see) has dropped it more than 1 rank in the tiers.

Unpacking just wasn't for me. I think I lacked the patience with it or I just wasn't in the mood for that sort of game. I also thought for some reason it was Co-Op and my partner and I could play together, but when we realised it wasn't it started off on a bad note to begin with 😅

• Like 4

7 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Also 21 completions so far this year?? Daaaamn!

Off to a great start man, formatting looks great. I'll be keepin an eye out!

Ditto this, really like the way you're breaking it down.  Might "steal" some ideas for my own journal! 😜

Also dang 21 games so far, I thought I had a lot with 12!  Dang Baldur's Gate for taking up so much of my Feb-Mar! Lol

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

L8639e0.png

Platinum 183

Despite being a free game on PS+ with a very short time to complete according to various guides, this game started off by pleasantly surprising me. Having never played Hello Neighbour 1 I felt this game built suspense really well and whilst a guide was more or less essential, I still got some enjoyment out of the game.

Unfortunately bugs ran rampant for me with this game with so many crashes + my save corrupting forcing me to restart and do an entire playthrough in one sitting. (which still crashed) 

Based on that and the fact that the suspense and "fear" effect of this game does wear off fairly fast (and the ending was a bit all over the place) I have placed this in the "Not My Cup of Tea" tier. I contemplated it for Regret Playing, but ultimately only 1 restart due to bugs saved it from the bottom tier, had that happened again it would be towards the bottom. Without any bugs this game would likely have been at the bottom of: Not Bad, Could be Better.

Edited by Mr_Wright95
  • Like 4

Update:

Thread has been updated with Reviews for Platinums 170 -> Current. 

Figured it made sense to do these reviews in reverse order so that the games I have played most recently will be more front of mind.

Backlog has also been updated with PS+ games and the completed games have been marked off. 

Hopefully a few new Plats in the next day or so with a couple games sitting very close to done!

• Like 3

Platinum 188

L985a9c.png

Untitled Goose Game

This game started out pretty fun, but the last speedrun level drove both myself and my partner crazy. It was so much more frustrating than we both expected and it really soured our experience. Rather than feeling satisfaction when beating it we simply felt relief. 

Overall this was a decent experience to that point and I always appreciate a game that has local co-op, but because of the sheer frustration it caused us, I have this game ranked in the "Not my Cup of Tea" tier.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Platinum 189

L668342.png

The Artful Escape 

This is a prime example of why you should always give a game a chance, even if you think it might not be for you. Whilst looking at gameplay footage / what I had heard of this game, I did not think it would be anything fancy. I decided to tackle it before it left PS+ Extra and I am very glad I did. 

This game is visually stunning and the story of self discovery, was pretty good. The gameplay was fairly minor, but it was a nice experience in amongst some of the longer / harder games I have been chipping away at. 

The story did drag a tiny bit towards the end, but I think that comes down to pacing more than anything else. I also appreciated that I did not need to follow a guide for the whole playthrough like many of these shorter story driven games with missable trophies.

With all that in mind, I would recommend playing this one, especially if you have PS+ Extra. Based on this I have this game ranked in the "Solid & Fun" Games tier, and fairly high in that tier.

• Like 3

Platinum 191 

Lf042c1.png

Last Stop

Another game leaving PS+ Extra that I thought I would give a go and pleasantly surprised me. This game follows the episodic story telling similar to what the Telltale games used to do back in the day. Back then this became a bit of a dull / repetitive formula and whichever game I last played following that style really showed me that I was experiencing a bit of burnout from that style of game. Fast forward all these years later and I really enjoyed playing through it again.

This game feels more like you are watching an interconnected TV series rather than a game (can be true of all episodic games) but the story was intriguing and mysterious. I will say that I felt captivated to go onto the next episode every time I finished one which means this game absolutely nailed the story... until the ending. 

I wont spoil it, but the hardest part of these games is to land the plane and this games ending felt off pacing wise and also felt like a big leap. The game gives you 18 episodes to build towards the climax, but it felt like the story completely changes pace within the last few episodes.

All of this is to say that I did really enjoy the game, I felt like my decisions in the ending did matter somewhat and overall it was a pleasure playing this style of game again. The ending did dock it slightly and so as such I have this game once again ranked in my middle tier, "Solid and Fun" games

• Like 1

Platinum 192

L0ecd78.png

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered

This game was excellent. In my oppinion this is the best Need for Speed game since the Original NFS Most wanted. The game does away with the story, so much so that I am pretty sure this game does not have a story at all. No Cutscenes, Just racing. This could be viewed as a pro or a con depending on the lens you choose to look at it with, but for me, this was a big plus. 

Need for Speed games as of late have felt extremely cliché in terms of their story, which I feel is in part because there is only so much creativity you can have surrounding a racing game. This game however removes all the filler and gives you 160+ events you must GOLD (Beat within a certain time or finish first) which makes the game both repayable and challenging. 

The driving mechanics are also the best I have felt in a NFS game, possibly ever. The controls feel sharp, drifting feels surgical and they strike the perfect balance of easy to learn, difficult to master. Mastery is however needed for some races as the times needed for some Golds did prove a bit challenging requiring a little bit of practice. 

Overall this was an excellent experience. Easy to pick up, do a few races and leave. No need to worry about immersion or story or cutscenes. No need to worry about police busting you before you return to your garage (very annoying in modern NFS games) 

I will say that the online trophies do detract from the platinum experience and the game is fairly dead so I had to boost these with myself, however this is probably my only knock on this game. 

Based on all of this, this game is ranked firmly in the "Fantastic Games" tier and might be the best NFS game with trophy support. 

Edited by Mr_Wright95
  • Like 4