Led Zeppelin Discussion, The Greatest Band Of All Time

Parker

Thanks very much, I like to think so haha.

Just look at Bonzo go, awe inspiring, why didn't I play drums instead!!

Moby Dick is one of the few drum solos I can listen to the whole way through. It is absolutely crazy to see it live too, you can barely see that bastards arms in some parts! Kieth Moon, Ginger Baker and Neil Peart are all fantastic drummers but Bonzo is a cut above them all, in my opinion. 

Parker

Queen is better than Nirvana!

Nirvana only has 3-5 ultra greatest hits, Queen on the other hand, it's very hard to find an unknow song made by them.

Just because it's known, doesn't mean it's good.

I've never understood the hype about Queen, they are the most overrated band of their era in my opinion, with AC/DC as a close second.

Queen is better than Nirvana!

Nirvana only has 3-5 ultra greatest hits, Queen on the other hand, it's very hard to find an unknow song made by them.

I agree and disagree. I think Queen is a better band than Nirvana but I don't think they have very many songs that the majority of people know. Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites The Dust, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, Killer Queen, Somebody To Love, Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race, Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Don't Stop Me Now are probably the songs people who aren't "Queen fans" would know. 

I've never understood the hype about Queen, they are the most overrated band of their era in my opinion, with AC/DC as a close second.

Queen aren't my favorite band but I definitely respect Mr. Mercury. He definitely had a great voice (even if he did look super creepy in the '70's) and Brian May is a very good guitarist but I'm not really a fan of their music style. 

I also have a lot of respect for AC/DC. Their songs are very simple but the fact that they lost their lead singer, replaced him with someone else and they still sound almost exactly the same is definitely an achievement in my book. Bon Scott had an extremely unique voice and for Brian Johnson to come in and replace him without many people being able to tell the difference is crazy to me. 

I wouldn't say Queen is overrated. But with AC/DC, you're right. I read somewhere that AC/DC hates Led Zeppelin's music, and so does Led Zeppelin theirs.

I'm not so sure about that. I've seen many an interview with both Zeppelin and AC/DC and both bands praised each other, I don't think either band hates the other. A lot of "news" sites take a comment and try to spin it in a completely different manner and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what you saw.

Parker

I agree and disagree. I think Queen is a better band than Nirvana but I don't think they have very many songs that the majority of people know. Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites The Dust, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, Killer Queen, Somebody To Love, Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race, Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Don't Stop Me Now are probably the songs people who aren't "Queen fans" would know. 

Queen aren't my favorite band but I definitely respect Mr. Mercury. He definitely had a great voice (even if he did look super creepy in the '70's) and Brian May is a very good guitarist but I'm not really a fan of their music style. 

Parker

Agreed, although I am a huge Queen fan as I was brought up on it there are plenty of songs by them which wouldn't be known by most people. What about Modern Times Rock n Roll?? Almost anything from Queen 1 & 2 would be alien to most people, some of their best stuff though.

I know you wont agree as a Led Zep guy but for me Mercury was the best rock frontman bar none!! His vocal range was incredible and his showmanship was unchallenged! Brian May is a better guitarist than most give him credit for.

Just a question for you, don't want to go away from Zep so a quick one. What do you make of modern guitar music/guitarists? Personally I think there are some damn good ones, technically Joe Satriani is probably the best ever!!

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!! You cannot call Queen overrated when you told us yesterday that Oasis are the greatest band of all time!!

Agreed, although I am a huge Queen fan as I was brought up on it there are plenty of songs by them which wouldn't be known by most people. What about Modern Times Rock n Roll?? Almost anything from Queen 1 & 2 would be alien to most people, some of their best stuff though.

I know you wont agree as a Led Zep guy but for me Mercury was the best rock frontman bar none!! His vocal range was incredible and his showmanship was unchallenged! Brian May is a better guitarist than most give him credit for.

Just a question for you, don't want to go away from Zep so a quick one. What do you make of modern guitar music/guitarists? Personally I think there are some damn good ones, technically Joe Satriani is probably the best ever!!

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!! You cannot call Queen overrated when you told us yesterday that Oasis are the greatest band of all time!!

Mercury is definitely up there as one of the best frontmans in rock and roll but to me the chemistry between Percy and Pagey was something magical that just can't be matched. Their blues calls and interaction, Pagey doing a lick on his Paul and Percy imitating it is something that I never tire of hearing. Still, I think Plant, Mercury, Bon Scott and Roger Daltrey are all fantastic frontmen and I suppose it is just down to personal preference when you reach that level of talent. 

I can't say I'm a fan of most modern guitarists, most of them seem to lack the heart and soul of a Pagey, Cream era Clapton, Gallagher, Beck, or Allman but there is no denying that technically there are some fantastic guitarists out there today. I'm more of a blues and jazz kind of guy so that may be why I'm not a huge fan of guys like Satriani or Malmsteen. 

That being said, my favorite modern guitarist bar none is Derek Trucks. He is a guitar prodigy and second only to Duane Allman himself when it comes to his ability with a slide, in my opinion. His solo on Midnight in Harlem (the first song in the following video) gives me shivers down my spine, and his new band with his wife, The Tedeschi Trucks Band is my favorite modern band by far as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCurZqSDIOM

Here is a 13 year old Trucks playing slide, it is crazy how good this bastard was at such a young age. 

Parker

Mercury is definitely up there as one of the best frontmans in rock and roll but to me the chemistry between Percy and Pagey was something magical that just can't be matched. Their blues calls and interaction, Pagey doing a lick on his Paul and Percy imitating it is something that I never tire of hearing. Still, I think Plant, Mercury, Bon Scott and Roger Daltrey are all fantastic frontmen and I suppose it is just down to personal preference when you reach that level of talent. 

I can't say I'm a fan of most modern guitarists, most of them seem to lack the heart and soul of a Pagey, Cream era Clapton, Gallagher, Beck, or Allman but there is no denying that technically there are some fantastic guitarists out there today. I'm more of a blues and jazz kind of guy so that may be why I'm not a huge fan of guys like Satriani or Malmsteen. 

That being said, my favorite modern guitarist bar none is Derek Trucks. He is a guitar prodigy and second only to Duane Allman himself when it comes to his ability with a slide, in my opinion. His solo on Midnight in Harlem (the first song in the following video) gives me shivers down my spine, and his new band with his wife, The Tedeschi Trucks Band is my favorite modern band by far as well.

Parker

Yeah I can tell you are more into the blues than the rock based stuff. I personally cannot stand Malmsteen because as good as he is once you have seen an arpeggio you don't get much more out of the guy!! Satriani is on a whole new level though, he can play anything and the way he makes it look is unbelievable. He plays with heart and you can see that when you watch him, have seen him live 3 times and he is the best out there. I tried playing some of his stuff and some of the chords are ridiculous!!

Haven't really listened to much of Trucks stuff so will do now!!

• Like 1

Parker

Who wants to live forever, The show must go on, Flash's theme, I want it all, I want to break free, Friends will be friends, Radio ga ga, Under pressure, plus the ones you said are a lot of well known songs, sure there are many others that not even Queen fans would know but it's not too often that a band has that MANY greatest hits, the only one I could see having this amount of greatest hits are The Beatles.

Of course a 'greatest hit' can't please every single individual, but being a greatest hit means it's pretty famous and many people know about them.

EDIT: not trying to be a Queen fanboy, I do enjoy many other rock artists, but they usually have a reduced amount of well know songs (Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, The police, etc), then there are those bands/artist that I like one or two of their songs and simply can't find any other one that pleases me (2Pac, bonnie tyler, run dmc, aerosmith, guns 'n roses, coolio, etc).

Edited by Xxleonardo97xX

Who wants to live forever, The show must go on, Flash's theme, I want it all, I want to break free, Friends will be friends, Radio ga ga, Under pressure, plus the ones you said are a lot of well known songs, sure there are many others that not even Queen fans would know but it's not too often that a band has that MANY greatest hits, the only one I could see having this amount of greatest hits are The Beatles.

Of course a 'greatest hit' can't please every single individual, but being a greatest hit means it's pretty famous and many people know about them.

EDIT: not trying to be a Queen fanboy, I do enjoy many other rock artists, but they usually have a reduced amount of well know songs (Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, The police, etc), then there are those bands/artist that I like one or two of their songs and simply can't find any other one that pleases me (2Pac, bonnie tyler, run dmc, aerosmith, guns 'n roses, coolio, etc).

LOL I don't think I have ever met anyone who has mentioned liking Bonnie Tyler and 2Pac in the same sentence!!!

• Like 1

LOL I don't think I have ever met anyone who has mentioned liking Bonnie Tyler and 2Pac in the same sentence!!!

Well yeah, lol, but if I like a song I don't care what genre it is. Although I mainly like rock I like one 2pac song (from gta 5), coolio (gangster's paradise), jay z (99 problems), bonnie tyler (I need a hero), scorpions (rock you like a hurricane) ...

Edited by Xxleonardo97xX
  • Like 1

Well yeah, lol, but if I like a song I don't care what genre it is. Although I mainly like rock I like one 2pac song (from gta 5), coolio (gangster's paradise), jay z (99 problems), bonnie tyler (I need a hero), scorpions (rock you like a hurricane) ...

Surely there is a rule against mentioning shit like Jay Z in a Led Zeppelin thread LOL?!

How is that? Liam/Noel Gallagher sound nothing like Freddie Mercury.

I simply don't like Freddy Mercury's voice, it's just not my thing.

How is that? Liam/Noel Gallagher sound nothing like Freddie Mercury.

I simply don't like Freddy Mercury's voice, it's just not my thing.

You cannot say they are overrated because it isn't your thing, you have to judge based on talent. Freddie Mercury could sing in his sleep better than Liam Gallagher!!

I do like Oasis' old stuff, Definitely Maybe and What's the Story are great albums but the new ones are awful!

My wife is a "casual" Queen fan and she recognized Under Pressure and Radio Ga Ga from your list so I wouldn't personally consider the rest to be "greatest hits." While we're on the subject of Queen, have you heard their new album, Live at the Rainbow '74? Like I said I'm not a big Queen fan but I thought it was a great album, they were definitely on top of their game back then. 

Yeah I can tell you are more into the blues than the rock based stuff. I personally cannot stand Malmsteen because as good as he is once you have seen an arpeggio you don't get much more out of the guy!! Satriani is on a whole new level though, he can play anything and the way he makes it look is unbelievable. He plays with heart and you can see that when you watch him, have seen him live 3 times and he is the best out there. I tried playing some of his stuff and some of the chords are ridiculous!!

Haven't really listened to much of Trucks stuff so will do now!!

I suppose I have't given Satriani a proper chance. I have a few friends who are metalheads and they've shown me some Satriani videos that I wasn't too impressed with. I never really pursed anymore of his music after that though, it seems that I should do so. 

While we're on the subject of awesome guitarists, have you heard of Jerry Reed? Yes, the Jerry Reed that played the Snowman in Smokey and the Bandit and Coach Red in the Waterboy. I'm not a huge fan of Country music but Jerry is something special, he didn't take himself too seriously at all and you can tell he got on stage and had a blast, plus he is a crazy guitarist. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqz2lq7MUU

He did some stuff with Chet Atkins (another amazing guitarist) which is a joy to watch as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLqyNV1SMWE

Parker

My wife is a "casual" Queen fan and she recognized Under Pressure and Radio Ga Ga from your list so I wouldn't personally consider the rest to be "greatest hits." While we're on the subject of Queen, have you heard their new album, Live at the Rainbow '74? Like I said I'm not a big Queen fan but I thought it was a great album, they were definitely on top of their game back then. 

Parker

If your wife likes Queen she should REALLY check the other songs, I think she'll like them, provided that she is the casual Queen fan like you said. Can I have some feedback or is it asking too much? :P

You cannot say they are overrated because it isn't your thing, you have to judge based on talent. Freddie Mercury could sing in his sleep better than Liam Gallagher!!

I do like Oasis' old stuff, Definitely Maybe and What's the Story are great albums but the new ones are awful!

Liam Gallagher is the best vocalist alive, that's a fact.

A unique voice doesn't equal talent, and that's all Freddie Mercury had.

I highly disagree with both of those opinions. I don't find Liam Gallagher's voice to be appealing to the ears at all so I certainly wouldn't classify him as the best vocalist alive. Freddie Mercury had far more than just a unique voice, he definitely had talent, if I recall correctly he is one of a few singers who vocal range covers 4 octaves. You can dislike him all you want, it doesn't mean he has no talent though. 

Parker

I highly disagree with both of those opinions. I don't find Liam Gallagher's voice to be appealing to the ears at all so I certainly wouldn't classify him as the best vocalist alive. Freddie Mercury had far more than just a unique voice, he definitely had talent, if I recall correctly he is one of a few singers who vocal range covers 4 octaves. You can dislike him all you want, it doesn't mean he has no talent though. 

Parker

Parker you are correct, as I mentioned before his vocal range is something that other singers could only dream of. He had showmanship that other frontmen just don't have which is a key part to live music.

If we are being brutally honest here, Noel Gallagher is a better singer than Liam!! There is a void between being their biggest fan and looking at it all subjectively, I am a big fan of Metallica but would never tell you Kirk Hammett is the best guitarist in the world because it simply isn't true!!