Led Zeppelin Discussion, The Greatest Band Of All Time

Parker

Actually I prefer Nickelback

It's OK Sean...we just need some Rock to quell the darkness from this thread

:o :o :o :o

Nickelback's powers have even denied Wayne...

:( What can I do :(...maybe some Kashmir will blow me back to my senses...

OH NO NOW P. DIDDY HAS STOLEN THE POWER OF ZEPPELIN :o. Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Bonham and John Paul Jones, use the power of rock and  SAVE US :yay:

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh rock.gif

Edited by Dr_Mayus

• 4 weeks later...

So I discovered a new beer today (as seen in this thread) and I figured what better way to celebrate than put Led Zeppelin on the record player and some Classic Game Room on the PC. As I've previously said, I love all of Led Zeppelin's albums equally and each one brings something new to the table but I still get goosebumps every time Good Times Bad Times starts blaring through the speakers. It is a shame Zeppelin rarely played that song live because I think it is fantastic. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is wonderful as well and serves as a perfect follow up track. It starts off slow and relatively low and light but soon crescendos and rocks with the bets of them. The blues number You Shook Me is spine tingling good and Zeppelin definitely does a better version of Dazed and Confused than The Yardbirds ever did. 

Side Two starts out with Your Time Is Gonna Come to which I feel the highlight is Percy's howling vocals. Then we've got Black Mountain Side to which my only complaint is I wish it were longer. Then we've got what many describe as the grandfather of punk, Communication Breakdown, which also happens to be one of Zeppelin's most famous songs. Pagey's guitar playing is simple yet focused and the solo is breathtaking. We've got another blues number next with I Can't Quit You Baby and yet again Percy knocks it out of the park. Jonesy and Bonzo provide the perfect rythym section and Pagey just proves that he is one of the best blues guitarist in the business. The album ends with a heavily blues inspired song, How Many More Times and it is the perfect way to end their debut. Each band member brings something to the song and they all shine through as masters of their craft. 

I don't think there is another band with a debut album that compares to Led Zeppelin and I can't wait until my 2014 vinyl remaster (I already have the CD version) gets hear so I can here the newly released Paris live concert in vinyl format. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWu28MaOPhQ

Parker

• Like 2

So I discovered a new beer today (as seen in this thread) and I figured what better way to celebrate than put Led Zeppelin on the record player and some Classic Game Room on the PC. As I've previously said, I love all of Led Zeppelin's albums equally and each one brings something new to the table but I still get goosebumps every time Good Times Bad Times starts blaring through the speakers. It is a shame Zeppelin rarely played that song live because I think it is fantastic. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is wonderful as well and serves as a perfect follow up track. It starts off slow and relatively low and light but soon crescendos and rocks with the best of them. The blues number You Shook Me is spine tingling good and Zeppelin definitely does a better version of Dazed and Confused than The Yardbirds ever did. 

Side Two starts out with Your Time Is Gonna Come to which I feel the highlight is Percy's howling vocals. Then we've got Black Mountain Side to which my only complaint is I wish it were longer. Then we've got what many describe as the grandfather of punk, Communication Breakdown, which also happens to be one of Zeppelin's most famous songs. Pagey's guitar playing is simple yet focused and the solo is breathtaking. We've got another blues number next with I Can't Quit You Baby and yet again Percy knocks it out of the park. Jonesy and Bonzo provide the perfect rythym section and Pagey just proves that he is one of the best blues guitarist in the business. The album ends with a heavily blues inspired song, How Many More Times and it is the perfect way to end their debut. Each band member brings something to the song and they all shine through as masters of their craft. 

I don't think there is another band with a debut album that compares to Led Zeppelin 

Parker

King Crimson and Hendrix, there you go :P

• Babe I'm Gonna Leave You 

That simply marvelous finale that starts with Bob singing I said that's when it's callin' me back home then Page comes in with the acoustic parts and ends it with a single electric note.

• Dazed And Confused 

One of the heavier tracks on the record.

The Royal Albert Hall version of this, enough said. Page looks like a wizard and that Gibson LP is his staff also those sweet dance moves at 8:18

Edited by Ramonachan

• 3 months later...

Led Zeppelin are a great band but best of all time? Absolutely not, at least in my opinion.

Like most of the early bands, they're overrated simply because they came first and people can't let go of their nostalgia.

I personally would prefer the later bands such as Guns N Roses, Def Leppard & Aerosmith.

• Like 1

I don't mind a bit of Zeppelin, I have only listened to a select few of their songs though (Stairway to Heaven, Immigrant Song, Whole Lotta Love) but enjoyed them all very much. I really appreciate what they've accomplished and what the genre's as a whole have done, it makes me sad to see that the majority of my generation (I'm 18 soon) don't find the beauty in these works.

I have a story that goes along with this too. A few days ago in my Philosophy class we had been studying Aesthetics and what can be classified as beauty, my teacher took turns playing Friday by Rebecca Black and then Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, then having us discuss which song is more beautiful as an art form. Although there were those in class who agreed with me that Stairway was obviously better and had more meaning the majority of the class couldn't find that and chose Friday. Many of whom said this was their choice because 'I don't want to have to wait to listen to a song', I was shattered to see that this is how people feel about music, not even taking the time to take it all in and feel the experience.

Led Zeppelin are a great band but best of all time? Absolutely not, at least in my opinion.

Like most of the early bands, they're overrated simply because they came first and people can't let go of their nostalgia.

I personally would prefer the later bands such as Guns N Roses, Def Leppard & Aerosmith.

You're more than welcome to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. Each member of Led Zeppelin are masters of their craft and they absolutely revolutionized blues rock and rock and roll in general. Slash and Joe Perry would agree, they even stated as much in interviews. Personally I can't stand GnR or Aerosmith and I'd consider Def Leppard to be one of the worst bands I've ever heard, but different strokes for different folks.  B)

In other news, Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page has shipped and should be here Monday! I'm glad I'm on vacation because I can't wait to tear into this book. 

51VPgQbIk1L.jpg

Parker

Just found this thread. :awesome:

I'm a pretty big fan of the Zepp and I make it a habit to "get the Led out", by both listening to them on my iPod and physically playing their songs on my guitars, on a frequent basis.

I would like to take this opportunity to add my perspective on the subject that appears to be rearing it's ugly head; the best band ever.

There is no "best band ever". There are levels of proficiency that bands can reach and the Zepp are one of the bands that have reached it. They do not stand alone at the top of the mountain. It's more of a plateau where many bands can stand together.

Parker made the excellent point of "each band member being a master of their respective instrument" and that is something that makes them one of the elite bands. A lot of bands have a very recognizable, great singer or lead guitar player but, their bass player or drummer might be unknown or generic/basic/sufficient and that affects the public's overall perception of the band.

AC/DC is a great example of this. Singer(s) and guitarist that are very recognizable and gifted at their instrument but, bass and drums maintain a quiet background position. They may have dozens of insanely popular songs but, 1/2 of the members can be buried under a list of others at their position in a debate about who's better.

Boston's falls victim to the same deal. Brad Delp has long been seen as one of the greatest and most gifted vocalists of all time (basically Celine Dion or Mariah Carey with a penis), but I'll bet you $1 you can't name their drummer or wouldn't even include Boston in the greatest band debate.

The Who was another band comprised of 4 masters of their craft. Many feel that Entwistle and Moon were/are the greatest musicians at their position of all time so, does that mean The Who are better than the Zepp?

Rush is yet another band comprised of masters AND they're only a 3 piece; does that make them better than the others because of the handicap?

The answer is no.

Once you are a master of your craft, it is a group you join. One master is not better than another master. They are both ranked 100 and should be considered equals.

The second you declare your personal opinion of a single band being the greatest or "better than" as a blanketing absolution, you have already lost. ;)

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1

Sheesh how did I miss this thread!!

Zeppelin are without doubt the greatest of all time, they were technically brilliant, influential in a way that other bands just weren't and as Parker rightly said they were tight and that stuff comes out when the acid test is delivered and that is live!! Glad they called it a day after Bonzo passed as he was probably top 5 still to this day and a member of the family they had there and it wouldn't have been right to continue!!

I have all their albums myself as well as my own Les Paul which I was swayed into by watching Zep and the beautiful way Jimmy makes it sing!!

Fair dues music is about personal opinion but if you can find a better band go ahead!!

• Like 1

• Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
That simply marvelous finale that starts with Bob singing I said that's when it's callin' me back home then Page comes in with the acoustic parts and ends it with a single electric note.

I know you just didn't refer to Robert Plant as "Bob"... :|

ROFL @ Def Leppard being mentioned in the same conversation as Led Zeppelin.

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1

ROFL @ Def Leppard being better than Led Zeppelin.

I didn't necessarily say they were better, i said i personally prefer their music.

Good and bad music is highly based on opinions, nobody can say Def Leppard is better than Led Zeppelin and vice versa, it's all based on personal preferences/tastes.

I didn't necessarily say they were better, i said i personally prefer their music.

Good and bad music is highly based on opinions, nobody can say Def Leppard is better than Led Zeppelin and vice versa, it's all based on personal preferences/tastes.

Touche.

I shall edit accordingly.

None of them touch Zeppelin but that is another conversation.

I just wanted to ask, I hope you are referring to the Guns N Roses that included a certain Mr Saul Hudson as they are shite without him?!?

None of them touch Zeppelin but that is another conversation.

I just wanted to ask, I hope you are referring to the Guns N Roses that included a certain Mr Saul Hudson as they are shite without him?!?

Yes, i'm referring to the 80's GNR, not the modern one. The modern one sucks, it's only Axl left and his voice has become awful.

You want to know who had always been the greatest band of all time? Oasis, nobody can touch them!

I would like to take this opportunity to add my perspective on the subject that appears to be rearing it's ugly head; the best band ever.

There is no "best band ever". There are levels of proficiency that bands can reach and the Zepp are one of the bands that have reached it. They do not stand alone at the top of the mountain. It's more of a plateau where many bands can stand together.

The second you declare your personal opinion of a single band being the greatest or "better than" as a blanketing absolution, you have already lost. ;)

I agree and disagree with you there. I agree that there are some bands that reach a certain point where there is a sort of plateau and at that point it is all personal preference. But at the same time everything is all personal preference, some people may think Green Day is the best band of all time while I would rank them as one of the worst. The point I'm trying to make is Led Zeppelin is my personal favorite band of all time and as such I'd rank them as the greatest of all time. People are more than welcome to agree or disagree with that opinion, but no one is going to convince me otherwise.  B)

Sheesh how did I miss this thread!!

Zeppelin are without doubt the greatest of all time, they were technically brilliant, influential in a way that other bands just weren't and as Parker rightly said they were tight and that stuff comes out when the acid test is delivered and that is live!! Glad they called it a day after Bonzo passed as he was probably top 5 still to this day and a member of the family they had there and it wouldn't have been right to continue!!

I have all their albums myself as well as my own Les Paul which I was swayed into by watching Zep and the beautiful way Jimmy makes it sing!!

Fair dues music is about personal opinion but if you can find a better band go ahead!!

Mr. Page is the reason I went with a Les Paul as well. There is something special about a Les Paul that I don't think any other guitar can match, just take a look at Eric Clapton. When he used Gibson's he was on top of the world, his work with Cream and John Mayall's Blues Breakers was amazing, when that was over and he switched to a Strat he doesn't sound nearly as good. Again, this is just my opinion. 

Yes, i'm referring to the 80's GNR, not the modern one. The modern one sucks, it's only Axl left and his voice has become awful.

You want to know who had always been the greatest band of all time? Oasis, nobody can touch them!

Personally I've always thought Axl had an awful voice. I've watched plenty of live stuff from late '80's GnR and Axl never impressed me, he sounds nothing like he does on the albums. Maybe some people enjoy that though, I certainly don't. 

Oasis? Pshh, Meat Loaf if where it is at. Oasis can't even come close to this...  :awesome:

Parker

• Like 1

Oasis? Pshh, Meat Loaf if where it is at. Oasis can't even come close to this...  :awesome:

Parker

Meatloaf don't even have a percentage of the talent that Oasis do.

Next you'll be telling me Queen is better than Nirvana...

Edited by Goro

One of the greatest, if not the greatest band of all time. Definitely the most talented band ever. Bonzo's drumming was just unhuman, and Page is such a badass guitarist (and my favorite member).

It's amazing how loyal they were to each other. When Bonzo died, they didn't replace him, they just broke up.

I'd say their prime was 1969-1976.

Edited by Amonares
  • Like 1

Personally I've always thought Axl had an awful voice. I've watched plenty of live stuff from late '80's GnR and Axl never impressed me, he sounds nothing like he does on the albums. Maybe some people enjoy that though, I certainly don't. 

Parker

I do agree with you that Axl isn't nearly as good live as he is in the recordings but the recordings are all i need, listen to Civil War and tell me it's not a masterpiece.

Judging by your music taste, i'm guessing you would like Creedance Clearwater Revival? If not then i guess we have nothing in common when it comes to music.

• Like 1

I heard Robert Plant has come up with a new record. I've been kinda living in a barrel lately so you have to excuse me I havent been following the music world.  Planning on picking it up when I get the chance!

Percy just released a new album called Lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar. It is pretty damn good but nothing like Zeppelin. Still, I enjoy Robert's solo career, especially his collaboration with Alison Krauss on the album Raising Sand. 

Greatest Band Of All Time. Most talented band ever. Doubt anyone could match with their talent. Bonzo drumming is just unhuman, and Page is such badass (and my favourite).

It's amazing how loyal they were to each other. When Bonzo died, they did not replaced him, they broke up.

I think their prime was 1969-1976

I'm actually very glad they decided to split up when Bonzo died as well. They were not only bandmates, they were the best of friends and there is no way they could've carried on without him. Not because they couldn't replace him as a drummer (they couldn't but there are some other extremely talented people that I'm sure could've done a decent job filling in for him) but because they couldn't replace him as a friend. John Bonham is the drummer of Led Zeppelin, always has been and always will be, I'm glad they respect him enough to go out on a high note. 

I do agree with you that Axl isn't nearly as good live as he is in the recordings but the recordings are all i need, listen to Civil War and tell me it's not a masterpiece.

Judging by your music taste, i'm guessing you would like Creedance Clearwater Revival? If not then i guess we have nothing in common when it comes to music.

I am a fan of CCR, actually. Southern Rock isn't my absolute favorite genre but there is no denying their talent. Personally though, I prefer The Allman Brothers Band, when Duane Allman was alive of course. Live at Fillmore East is still one of my favorite albums of all time. 

Parker

• Like 2

This is my favourite thread on this site!!! So many things!!

Firstly I do like Oasis apart from their most recent stuff which was shite!! Queen are better than Nirvana because everything by Nirvana that isn't on the greatest hits CDs sounds like drivel!

Parker, you are spot on, there is something about the Les Paul that I didn't get when I tried alternatives, I didn't get that feeling with the Fender. Hard to explain really. I also think it is a more versatile guitar for me as well due to the variety I like to play.

CCR are an immense band, I love them, Born On The Bayou is one of my all time favourite tracks and The Allman Brothers with Duane were exceptional, he was one hell of a guitarist, shame we lost him so early!!

• Like 1

This is my favourite thread on this site!!! So many things!!

Firstly I do like Oasis apart from their most recent stuff which was shite!! Queen are better than Nirvana because everything by Nirvana that isn't on the greatest hits CDs sounds like drivel!

Parker, you are spot on, there is something about the Les Paul that I didn't get when I tried alternatives, I didn't get that feeling with the Fender. Hard to explain really. I also think it is a more versatile guitar for me as well due to the variety I like to play.

CCR are an immense band, I love them, Born On The Bayou is one of my all time favourite tracks and The Allman Brothers with Duane were exceptional, he was one hell of a guitarist, shame we lost him so early!!

If you like Led Zeppelin, Cream, CCR, The ABB and other blues rock bands I have a suggestion for you. Have you ever heard of Rory Gallagher? He is an absolutely fantastic Irish blues rock musician who unfortunately never really made it into the "mainstream." It wasn't because of lack of talent, that is for sure. In fact, I named my son after him. 

Here is some of his stiff, live of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpQdKzq29W8

Another fantastic album is Live in Europe '72, I can't find it on YouTube though. 

Also, lets have some Duane in here. Shame there is so little footage of him. 

Parker

I actually have a couple of Rory's albums, I have got Live in Europe '72 and Deuce. Another fantastic guitar player!!!

Whipping post, probably my personal favourite (albeit a tad predictable)!

You sir, have a fantastic taste in music. I think I've only personally met 3 or 4 people who have heard of Mr. Gallagher so I always try to spread his music whenever I can. 

To get the conversation back to Zeppelin, here is one of my favorite performances of all time, from any band. They were certainly on fire here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edPEBB6VjRQ

Parker

I'm actually very glad they decided to split up when Bonzo died as well. They were not only bandmates, they were the best of friends and there is no way they could've carried on without him. Not because they couldn't replace him as a drummer (they couldn't but there are some other extremely talented people that I'm sure could've done a decent job filling in for him) but because they couldn't replace him as a friend. John Bonham is the drummer of Led Zeppelin, always has been and always will be, I'm glad they respect him enough to go out on a high note. 

Parker

Couldn't agree more.

You sir, have a fantastic taste in music. I think I've only personally met 3 or 4 people who have heard of Mr. Gallagher so I always try to spread his music whenever I can. 

To get the conversation back to Zeppelin, here is one of my favorite performances of all time, from any band. They were certainly on fire here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edPEBB6VjRQ

Parker

Thanks very much, I like to think so haha.

Just look at Bonzo go, awe inspiring, why didn't I play drums instead!!